ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Waiting on some bits to turn up. Bolts, etc.

Got some caps to blank off 2 of the heater ports.
51mm if anyone needs to know.
IMG_5061.JPG

Also trimmed up the fog light surrounds to fit the brake ducts. Secured with the good old cable ties.
IMG_5062.JPG

List has changed slightly. Completed a few jobs but also added some little ones that I've spotted.

50/51mm Ducting (heater/ blower)
Remove unwanted brackets on interior
Fit dash and mount clocks
Fit Steering column gator
Lightweight spoiler?
Boot latch - cover
Aerial blank
Get pedal fixed - re-rivet?
Fit exhaust
Bleed brakes
Fit seat(s)
Fit harnesses
Headlights
Bolt tow eye in
Bungs for old seat mounts thru floor
Paint cage & interior

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Got a few more jobs done this afternoon.
Refitted the spoiler and boot latch, and made a start on grinding off the unwanted brackets before the grinder packed up. Not bad for 10 years I suppose.
Will grab another one this week and crack on grinding them down now they've been cut off.
IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5065.JPG

Popped to Argos this morning to pick up an über cheap hoover too. Something to clean the track car and the DCI with.
IMG_5066.JPG

Inside was full of metal shavings and dust. Came up sparkly clean.
IMG_5068.JPG

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Spare 30mins this morning before the family came over for Sunday lunch, so got the aerocatches finished off.

IMG_5085.JPG
IMG_5086.JPG

List now down to:

Ducting for Heater & blower
Ducting for brakes
Finish sanding down removed brackets
Sort tow eye - thread appears fubar, so either re-tap or cut away material at rear to allow a locknut to be added.
Aerial blank - can't find a square bung, so might drill out to a larger round size and get a round grommet
Fit dash and mount clocks (bits on way)
Re-rivet throttle pedal cover back on
Fit centre section and backbx
Bleed brakes
Fit seats
Fit harnesses
Headlights
Bungs for old seat mounts thru floor
Paint cage and interior

There'll probably be other little things I spot, but not a lot left to do! Waiting for Alex to come back to finish the last of the wiring, and it's done!

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So @Steven103 popped over today, and I had wanted to get the exhaust on and the remaining drop link for the RARB.

However, I found that I didn't have the gasket for the cat to centre, so that will need ordering.

We than thought, lets crack on with some painting!
So a spot of hoovering, cleaning, sanding, more cleaning, more sanding, and more cleaning, and then some masking.

Trip to Halfords for the tape and primer, and we set to work. Back half of the car done, bar the bench bit (as we were sitting on it).

IMG_5295.JPG
IMG_5296.JPG
IMG_5302.JPG
IMG_5308.JPG
IMG_5312.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Loads of progress!
There isn't a gasket for the cat to centre section.its just an olive joint clamp I think. They aren't as easy as other clamps to find but rpd sell them. Exhaust paste off ebay is good to use at the same time.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
More primer done and the lacquer is on. Will run it like this as at present I quite like it.
However if I don't, I can always redo it later.
IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5406.JPG

Also Alex and Sash popped by yesterday so that Alex could finish the remaining electrical jobs. We got it fired up too which was awesome!

I fitted the backbox after Steven came round the other weekend and helped with the paint prep and fitting the centre section.
Just need to cut out some of the rear bumper so it can go in its place and get the mount fitted.

I've got the week off now, so really am aiming to get it mot'd, taxed and insured!!

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Some more good progress today.
@optical came over and gave me a hand.
First we got on to bleeding brakes. Thankfully gus had an easy-bleed kit, and after some initial pumping of the brake by me, and twisting nipples by gus (ohh err missus), we got the old stuff out of the system.

After the brakes were done we then turned our attention to the gear stick.
When the engine was pulled out the other year, we made the mistake of undoing the selector rod at the gearbox rather than at the gearstick.
A few attempts of gus sitting in the car and selecting gears whilst I adjusted from underneath the car, and we finally got it selecting smoothly.

Gus plugged in his CLIP too and scanned the car. Thankfully no error codes.
Weirdly the EML doesn't light up when ignition is on, but the light works when the clocks test is run?

Wiper motor, arms and scuttle panel is all back together.

I've noticed a reaction on the paint inside, but for now it'll have to wait. I just want to get the car on the road now!

Unfortunately I've now discovered a problem with my brand new TYC headlights.
All brand new bulbs, but the sidelight won't work on my passenger headlight, and the drivers side headlight doesn't work at all (low, high beams, sidelights or indicator).

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Thankfully managed to find the issue with the drivers headlight.
The connector in the headlight wasn't pushed forward enough to make contact with the plug. Now that's sorted, the headlight now fully works. Woohoo!

However, the sidelight on the passenger side still doesn't work. I'm guessing it's the connection.
Any suggestions on how to investigate (remembering my experience with a multi meter is zero)?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Looking good.

I'm afraid my only solution to the sidelight problem would be a lump hammer. Let us know how you get on.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Looking good.

I'm afraid my only solution to the sidelight problem would be a lump hammer. Let us know how you get on.
Haha!
Worst case is a new headlight. I've tried the other headlight in its place and that works, so I know the loom/ connector from the loom is fine.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
It would be worth checking all the connections on the one that's not working, it sounds like something simple.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Well. What started off as a really good day, has gone right down the shitter....

Made good progress with more jobs on the car:
Protective wrap on the rollcage applied, dash mounts added.
EPAS switch put in position on dash.
Exhaust mount fitted.
Grip tape applied to drivers footwell
Seat is in place too!
IMG_5442.JPG
IMG_5445.JPG

Then this afternoon it all went Pete tong.

I was busy fitting the new headlight when there were some sparks at the battery (little bro spotted it). We assume it was a socket bar had fallen and hit the battery terminals (somehow?!), after I'd left it lodged in the rear arch area.

So now the lights appear to be completely messed up.

Sidelights are now working.
However, low beam doesn't work on the passenger side (new headlight).
High beam doesn't work at all. There's no click at the UCH either.

Also, the tail lights work but there's no brake lights or rear indicators.

Continued on this evening with some other work it have come inside in a proper huff.
Guess I'll be cancelling the MOT in the morning then!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well. What started off as a really good day, has gone right down the shitter....

Made good progress with more jobs on the car:
Protective wrap on the rollcage applied, dash mounts added.
EPAS switch put in position on dash.
Exhaust mount fitted.
Grip tape applied to drivers footwell
Seat is in place too!
View attachment 192027 View attachment 192028

Then this afternoon it all went Pete tong.

I was busy fitting the new headlight when there were some sparks at the battery (little bro spotted it). We assume it was a socket bar had fallen and hit the battery terminals (somehow?!), after I'd left it lodged in the rear arch area.

So now the lights appear to be completely messed up.

Sidelights are now working.
However, low beam doesn't work on the passenger side (new headlight).
High beam doesn't work at all. There's no click at the UCH either.

Also, the tail lights work but there's no brake lights or rear indicators.

Continued on this evening with some other work it have come inside in a proper huff.
Guess I'll be cancelling the MOT in the morning then!

Get down Halfords, multipack of fuses, big and small, and just find what you've fried and change them out. Could be lucky and that's your lot!

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So still scratching my head over the electrical gremlins.
Down to no high beam, no brake lights and no front wipers (don't have a rear one), and no horn.

I managed to get on with some other jobs in the meantime.

The inside actually looks like a car now.
IMG_5450.JPG

Engine bay is just about done.
IMG_5446.JPG

The pikey bumper cut. It's comically horrific.
IMG_5447.JPG

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So at end of play tonight, electrical problems are as follows...

No high beam
No brake lights
No working front wipers
No needle movement on dash (I.e. When revving)
No horn

Done a dash test (pressing end of stalk and turning on ignition. Lights ondash come on, and all needles move during test.

I've pulled all the fuses in the engine bay and interior fuse boxes. No broken fuses.
I've reseated all the relays in the uch (the ones at the back).
Earths have been checked in boot (need to check under dash, but nothing has changed since the other night when the lights all worked).

Also during the dash test I've got a couple of codes: t - - h

IMG_5454.JPG
IMG_5455.JPG
IMG_5456.JPG

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
So at end of play tonight, electrical problems are as follows...

No high beam
No brake lights
No working front wipers
No needle movement on dash (I.e. When revving)
No horn

Done a dash test (pressing end of stalk and turning on ignition. Lights ondash come on, and all needles move during test.

I've pulled all the fuses in the engine bay and interior fuse boxes. No broken fuses.
I've reseated all the relays in the uch (the ones at the back).
Earths have been checked in boot (need to check under dash, but nothing has changed since the other night when the lights all worked).

Also during the dash test I've got a couple of codes: t - - h

View attachment 192120 View attachment 192121 View attachment 192122
I would check the earth's under the dash incase it's loose and it's been knocked.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So more playing today. Wheels are on, and some minor adjustment to get the tracking good enough to get to the mot garage (when it's done).

Cat as it stands...
IMG_5459.JPG
IMG_5463.JPG

Still have an issue with no main beam and horn.

Bleed coolant, get bumper on, fit door pulls, harness and some silicone on the bung in the aerial hole.
That'll be enough to get it ready for the MOT.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Pop the UCH off , see if there's any circuit board fried. I did this on my old Dci... accidentally hit The alternator poll doing a filter change , dash wouldn't work, lights intermintant and horn dead.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Pop the UCH off , see if there's any circuit board fried. I did this on my old Dci... accidentally hit The alternator poll doing a filter change , dash wouldn't work, lights intermintant and horn dead.
Will take a butchers.
Bit strange that the dash test works ok, but when the ignition is on, none of the clocks work?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Ah bugger. You may have to start checking looms everywhere,

UCH
usually take the brunt of it when something shorts out and does this.

Need MR white to have a look ;)

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Ah bugger. You may have to start checking looms everywhere,

UCH
usually take the brunt of it when something shorts out and does this.

Need MR white to have a look :wink:
He's going to see when he's free. I'm desperate to get it done this week though.

Anyone know where the relays for the horn and main beam are?

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Relays for the headlights are in that row next to the UCH. ( the set that goes on The side )
Well I can feel which relay clicks when the sidelights and low beam are activated, but couldn't when the high beam was on.
So I tried swapping the working sidelight relay with the other positions, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

I can't find a record anywhere of an actual relay for the high beam, but there must be?!

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Couple more jobs this evening. I was trying to think of a way of securing the clocks to the top dash without making them difficult to remove (and not using cable ties).

I purchased some fancy bolts and washers from CSF last year, so have used some for the headlights, and 2 for the clock mounting.
IMG_5492.JPG
IMG_5493.JPG
IMG_5494.JPG

(DEM SANDALS)

I also got the door pulls fitted. Rivnut in the door, hole in the doorcard and job done.
IMG_5500.JPG