ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Also forgot to mention, I picked up some track wheels too from @cs_dave

505e3b9c881a76dc77c417e58068b7ef.jpg

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So a little progress today after I came home from shopping.

Test fitted the new induction setup:
7049447de1c01d3fd17f3bcf0432f868.jpg

Closer inspection of a coolant pipe reveals a bit of leakage. New pipe time?
437f4d0b47951e1ce902e22aa679095e.jpg

Bit of oil under the inlet manifold too. Looks to be coming from the pipe that goes to the carbon canister:
b0dd4d7cc519e1eecc05bb2f38c4e49b.jpg

Dash now looks like this.
5639fef4af58638687b512cfb0b7b64c.jpg

Can't find anymore bolts, so are these plastic welds?
9aa29d852634dd43fc10a9983eddd290.jpg

Finally. Not a bad view from the garage. Even with the rain.
8b3fcd21bb2d969b1123de21b2a3cef6.jpg

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So this weekend just gone, I had a lot of help to get cracking on the project.

The motor is now out and will be given a clean before receiving new belts and an aircon delete setup.

48d6d65106701d7b82fdf8b6d92c00c2.jpg

We found a lesser-spotted @Cookie in the bay too.

c33a66f9986902c4e03e86cf718d1f70.jpg

8d55667334560b212a6a87e7a3717632.jpg

Obligatory Angle Grinding shot - still can't get the damned snapped towing eye out.
72a596b7600e2b03775e87392d15326b.jpg

Small list of parts to replace.

Knackered driveshaft, starter motor and need a new castle nut for the end of the driveshaft.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Massive thanks today to @optical and @Steven103
Both came over today to help (when I say help, they did pretty much everything!). Gus and I got on with cleaning the engine, and we also got it on the stand.
Might even be able to return @Tony Hunter his engine hoist soon I hope too!

Steven ploughed straight on with spannering away on the car. He's like a machine.
Hit a couple of minor snags. One of the bolts on the rear stub axle needs drilling out. Unfortunately my drill bits weren't up to the task, so need some better ones.
We also managed to get the steering rack out, but can't fathom out how the new EPAS one (DCI) bolts in?

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Another update, and quite a bit of progress was made this weekend.

Massive, massive thanks to @Scrooge
He came up yesterday to fit the cambelt, and then we got a bit carried away with carrying on. That resulted in the engine and gearbox being painted, the ancillaries reassembled, and dropping it back into the car!
Pictures to follow...

Reactions: Gus

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So after last week when @Gus and @Steven103 visited, the engine was cleaned and left to dry.
I attacked it mid week with some rust remover gel that Gus left, and gave it a good clean. It got a fair bit off, but still required a lot of work.
7b06cedf8e13ffa94454c540a9e9538e.jpg

Come yesterday, @Scrooge came up and fitted the cambelt for me, and then we got a bit carried away!
687b58cc6955369f91e68877182ce1ea.jpg

Cup kit from @Russ Rallye was given a lick of paint too.
53e66fb0fa5496d67566d04d1a886994.jpg

We did have a bit of a moment where my over enthusiastic spraying lead to some overspray on the passenger wing! Lol.
Got it cleaned off though.

Engine and auxiliary bits on.
26ed39dfa33bd3f3f765e87bd5108c6e.jpg

I ran out of silver paint and time was pressing on, so I decided on black for the gearbox. I actually like it too.
96795ec142917f881855c94096303f0f.jpg

We finally called it a night at around 11pm as we cannot find the bolts for the gearbox mount (might need to source some more)
26272b4345a4f94d68c5d1c1e2b13605.jpg

All sitting pretty in the engine bay. To think I wasn't even going to paint anything when I started this project...

dbd80bde8b5392bd8f569a05e906d000.jpg

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Oh, and the roll cage has turned up. Have decided on a Custom Cages clubman cage.
Poor lad who delivered it was on his lonesome, and was back at work with a dodgy knee after having surgery on it. That cage is about 25+ KG packaged up!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Oh, and the roll cage has turned up. Have decided on a Custom Cages clubman cage.
Poor lad who delivered it was on his lonesome, and was back at work with a dodgy knee after having surgery on it. That cage is about 25+ KG packaged up!
Good choice of cage. That's the same one I've got in my cup.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Good choice of cage. That's the same one I've got in my cup.

Good. Hopefully got a very decent welder lined up too, so it'll be nice and secure.
Did make me laugh when I opened the pack, and found a CD of pictures of the clio "international" cage. Still, it shows the basic structure that makes up the clubman cage anyway.

No pics yet Ali - it's just big bits of metal in a box at the mow. Currently stored against the side of the car in the garage (thought how nice it was to gain all that space back now the engine is back in the bay, and it's now been taken up by the roll cage! Lol!).

Also, I had decided a while back that the inlet manifold, calipers and other bits, were going to be Acid Green! :cool:

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So the roll cage arrived last week. Steven and his buddy Chris popped by to check it out.

We mocked up how it will look, and found its not a dash dodger! Lol!

952af6d98ea5408ce99ac1fcd1cb7669.jpg

So dash bars and look will come out (as they were for welding anyway), and I'll need to source a dash bar from custom cages.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
In the heroic efforts to remove the motor, the alternator was terminal but also the live feed to it as well. Few minutes later, a new connector is on

b7787065f4c5a12250dac05956fc7bdb.jpg

Along with the new coolant bottle. Almost seems a shame to use the standard pipe work now. Just refresh the clios for now.

208a993cde46816e4df6b1779187797b.jpg

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Great work JP! Just get new stainless hose clips on the water bottle hoses. Don't worry about the hoses themselves.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
@optical popped over this afternoon and we set about dropping the rear beam to install the powerflex rear beam bushes. It had an advisory for perished bushes on the last MOT so thought I best get them changed now.

We can both see why people complain about this job.
The first issue we had was after disconnecting the brake lines, we couldn't get the handbrake cables off. Not the end of the world, as we dropped the beam and just eased the tension on the handbrake cables.

What we learned from the experience.
The right tools would really help.
One side was easy. The other side is refusing the budge, but it's getting there.
We're never doing another!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 226
JP & Gus doing rear bushes for everyone at the next meet then...!

You don't need a dash bar. Dash can mount off of tabs welded to the cage & firewall. Steering column is self supporting.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So this weekend the boys came round for a last minute, mini meet. Saturday was a bit of a wash out, and with @Bear Head getting his Brembo's fitted, and @RyG swapping his dash out, it was done to @Steven103 and me to crack on with the car (mostly Steven!).

In the days before the weekend I had finally got the other rear beam collar out, and took great delight in telling it what I thought of it.
IMG_3560.JPG
Rear beam bushes all done.
IMG_3562.JPG

Roll on Saturday, and after some magical mechanical wizadry by Steven, the car was coming together nicely. Although we found I needed a new radiator, so a trip to EuroCarParts was made, and thankfully they had 1 left in stock!

One side of the suspension all on, along with the driveshaft, and this is how it was looking by the end of Saturday.
IMG_3575.JPG

Obviously the long day took it's toll on some @jaswalker24
IMG_3573.JPG

Sunday morning came around, and for about 2 hours, I was under the impression that Steven was having a well earned lie in upstairs. Only, he wasn't. He said he was leaving early the next day and he meant it! 😂

My first job of the day (before the calamitous saga that was the fitting of Ryan's dash), was to get the other tie rod off.
I'd popped down to Halfords and got a 32/36mm viscous spanner which helped get the other side off, but even though there was more room on the driver's side, it was proving awkward to get a good grip on it. A jack sat on a large chunk of wood gave us the lift we needed to undo the tie rod. Gratuitous swearing at random car part shot no.2
IMG_3576.JPG

By the way, how many monkeys does it take to fit a dash? @optical @Bear Head @RyG
IMG_3577.JPG

As you might have guessed from the pictures so far, lime green is the colour of the day (or, well, a long time at least).
The calipers have been supplied by @optical, and he'd given them a lick of green paint already. I just needed to add the second layer to match my other painted bits.
IMG_3580.JPG

BG Clio 182
Looks the absolute tits in the flesh JP, real credit to you. Cannot wait to see it again, this time hopefully running and nearly finished!

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Easter Monday...

I woke up with a whole day free to myself, which was to be spent down in the garage. Little did I know what would be in store for the day!

In the morning I got a couple of jobs done. Firstly, fitted the fuel tank breather now the carbon cannister is gone.
IMG_3585.JPG

Then got the heat shield fitted
IMG_3587.JPG

Steven has previously started to mock up the design for a catch tank bracket. I took his cardboard design, adapted it slightly, and got underway with fitting that, and mocking up the ECU bracket.
IMG_3588.JPG

Then I get a text from @Steven103 saying am I free, and can he pop over. Sure, why not!
He arrives just before 5pm, and then proceeds to work like a whirlwind, whilst I occasionally help/ pass tools/ provide beverages/ get in the way. The man is a car building machine!
The mission: To see if we can get the car to a state where it can be fired up!

However, before that, there's a few other jobs that are completed.
Rear beam is re-attached
New stub axle spacers with shims (thanks @Budgie ) are fitted
Rear brakelines attached, and discs, calipers, pads, and rear shocks are fitted.
IMG_3593.JPG

Front suspension on, driveshafts in, but we find that the front brake line unions are fudged. Shame, as they're braided lines too. So I'm on the lookout!
IMG_3592.JPG

It's getting late, and Steven is spannering away trying to get the car to a point where we can fire it up.
Dash is plugged in, lambda sensor plugged in, gear linkage re-attached, engine filled with oil, gearbox filled with oil, driveshaft leaking... Hold on a minute... c**k

Yup, the driveshaft was leaking. Slight panic as this was one of the replacements I'd bought off eBay. We whipped it off, only to find the bolts with it were the wrong ones - too long that they weren't pulling the gaitor and clamp to the gearbox casing to seal it tight. D'oh!
So the gearbox was drained (that stuff reeks!), driveshaft re-fitted, and the gearbox oil re-added (to be checked when it's on wheels and level!).

No battery at this point, so we rolled my car forward and hooked up the jump leads. However, not a peep. No lights or anything.

Now the earth lead that goes to the battery, has another connector on the end, but I don't know where this connects to - if anyone can shed some light on this it'd be massively appreciated!
Otherwise, I was a bit stumped as to why there was no life at all. However, at 11:45pm, it was really time to call it a night!
Massive thanks to @Steven103 again for his help!

IMG_3591.JPG