ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: BMW E21.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
That kit is awesome. As said, it suits the age of the car. Now drop it on awesome wheels as well.

That was easily one of the funniest things I've seen.

"ohhh the bolt is out" - drop the breaker bar on Rhys's face.

Okay, so progress was made tonight. The plan was to strip the dash and trim out of the front, and hopefully find the source of the water on the drivers side floor.

Got the awesome site lights out again.

8188632839_5333d717cb_c.jpg

And this is how things looked before we got cracking:

8189710522_2a4f4b7cb6_c.jpg

I got started before Rhys and Jon came over, and within a few mins of pulling sound deadening off, I found what is, beyond reasonable doubt, the cause of the water:

8188629707_62b5bcd140_c.jpg

Shine a torch through the hole, and you can see the tread of the front tyre. Pretty gutted to find such extensive corrosion, but it's not too unexpected, it's a 35 year old car at the end of the day!

Anyway, to discard any possibility of any other leaks, we set about removing the dash, so I can check under the windscreen for corrosion.

A few hours later, and it's out:

8189707806_03fd7ed5ca_c.jpg

That's the loom! LOL Super simple:

8188626771_329b1daace_c.jpg

8188625627_119601a7ed_c.jpg

We removed a fair but as well!

8189704170_08fa4141df_c.jpg

Got it pretty much driveable though :)

8188622607_ba8da3fcb4_c.jpg

Also while I was packing everything away I noticed some strange marks in the paint on the front wing, only visible under the 400W lights. Don't know what's caused that, but it's very odd?

8189700972_93e536dd04_c.jpg

Anyway, thanks again to Jon and Rhys, massively appreciated.

Progress is going well, rear seats out next, and then get the car 100% water tight.

Loving it atm :D

Loo nasty rot :( just make sure you cut it out n sort it properly n it should be reet!

Yeah, I'm going to get the rest of the interior out and inspect everything, once I've located any holes/corrosion, I will get a quote for it to be cut out, and new metal welded in.

Hopefully won't be too expensive!

Looks like clear coat sag.

No idea what that is!

The car will be getting resprayed anyway, so it's not a problem. Just a little odd that's all!

CBR1K, F21 125D
All old BMW's rust there first.

Then the scuttle, rear panel, sun roof, roof drains, wings...

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's morning.

My head is f**king killing me still, yet despite the pain I still can't wait to work on it again.

There is very little rust to be honest. I know it was a bit of a shitter finding that hole but the whole front end apart from that is solid.

I'd do a full strip out , treat any rot that isn't a big hole etc and underseal the hell out of it. Bilt Hamber all the way.

That's the plan. The entire interior is coming out, and anything that is rotton is getting cut out and welded.

Any small patches of surface rust will be treated with Bilt Hamber De-ox.

While the interior is out, I might be tempted to give it some paint, we'll see.

I can get a crane, I can even get a chassis roller, but it's more the monumental workload!

The entire underside is Waxoyled, so it would take weeks to remove all that alone!

And as said, it will be mainly done on my driveway. I could possibly move the car to my dads though, where he has a double garage.

I'll cost it up I think.

Ultimately, it's a 316. I don't want to pour thousands upon thousands of pounds into a car that will only ever be worth £4,000 or so when fully restored.

Ideally, I need to learn to weld.

That would allow me to keep the cost right down.

Last edited:
  'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Those of you who know how to weld...

Will this suffice for general repair work on the BM?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/mig-90en-no-gas-mig-welder

I know I'll need to practise, but the machine itself, will it be able do what I need it to?

It says it can do up to 4mm mild steel, I won't need anything thicker than that will I?

Also there is a gas version:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pro-90-mig-welder

Any advice?

The advice I have been given from my College tutors and the Mini community is if you by a gasless mig welder your a numpty; they spit and make its incredibly difficult tot get neat welds. You won't even need 4mm thick tbh. They measure steel in gauges; 20 gauge I think is classic mini which is about 0.8mm could be wrong.

Welding itself is easy; its learning about the settings for each piece of metal your using, though theres plenty of stuff online :)

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I don't know if anyone mentioned it but the m10 block was the base of bmw's early 80s F1 turbo engine. They used to leave the freshly cast blocks outside over winter because the corrosion would show any casting defects then would hand pick the best.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I had an e30 325i touring absolutely loved it( Had a bit of and interesting history as an action vehicle for tv). My dad had e30 325i from new in 89 kept for 15 years ( I loved this car)