ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: BMW E21.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
OMG, give me this car. You clearly dont deserve it. DO IT PROPPA

Banded steels is fine btw, get some G60 steels like Winston has. They are a nice style and look well with some dishy dish dish dish.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Get 13's dont be homo... (These would look so cool) http://www.wheel-whores.com/classif...duct=10704&title=borbet-atiwe-13x7-et20&cat=4

The perfect wheels for this, IMO, would be Renault Alpine turbines. Or some compomotives. Modelled both by MK2 Golfs...

8134757584_b7efcdd8a9.jpg

clean 2 by Andy Bunyan, on Flickr

7920347808_3aeefecccb.jpg

Irish green mk2 by Andy Bunyan, on Flickr

Seeing as it's my car, I'll put what I want on it.

Turinis maybe? Or 2118s?

LOL @ "just save up" it's two thousand pounds! I would sooner spend that on a respray.

Reps will be fine if that's what I decide to go for.

The thing is, I totally understand why someone would buy a set of BBS RS wheels, they're gorgeous and they stand out from the crowd.

On any generic Bora/E36/whatever, then it's not too bad spending a few grand on wheels, because the car isn't going to sap up any more heavy money anyway, other than coilovers.

My E21 is going to cost me thousands, before I've even started dropping it, or doing any custom parts. So if I can save £1600, and achieve 90% of the look I want, then I will do. If it was a mint example then I would get genuines, but as you've seen it needs a hell of a lot of work!

So hate all you want, but until you've restored a 35 year old car, keep your judgements quiet ;)

:eek:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Saving up for wheels. SRS?

Its like a £800 car. To borrow and analogy from above, that'd be like buying a £2000 wool suit and putting it on your dog.

Stick fakes on, tell people you saved up and that they are real, 99% won't even notice.

Took me 3 attempts over the course of a year to buy my Regas thanks to first time not having enough money sat around and second time being messed about by the seller, that was playing the long game.

But whatever, I'm of the opinion if you're going to do it, do it right.

Who cares if the wheels are worth more than the car, wheels like that are an investment. You don't lose money on decent wheels if somebody has already took the hit on buying new.

Then again, it's not my car is it. Fit fakes, CS will love you, job done.

In all honesty, I'm not interested in who loves me or the car.

If I'm the only person on the planet who likes it, then fine, as long as I like it.

If some RS's/Whatever come up for sale at a reasonable price, then I'll have them.

What I won't do is pay ludicrous scene tax on them, bargains do crop up, and as per the coilovers and bodykit, I snap them up when they do appear.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I just can't understand why people don't save and wait for proper wheels. It's all about playing the long game.

Where's Winston, Turner or Turkish when you need them?

Hi.

Gaz is right, don't rush it... it's what everything hinges on!

Are you going to get the OE hubs modified then?

That's exactly what I'm saying, don't buy cheap crap to get the look, wait and they'll come up second hand and at a good price. You might need to refurb them but so what, you'll only make money on them.

You've already done it with other parts which is why I can't understand why you wouldn't with wheels!

BTW, what PCD are the old BMWs, 4x100? Retro Jap stuff is 4x114.3, so you'd need adaptors/hubs redrilling if you went down that route.

I won't rush it.

I also won't wait 3 years for some wheels.

The car needs:

- Welding.
- Painting.
- Some engine maintenance.
- Interior.
- Exhaust.
- Re-undersealing.

They're the main points atm, that's not including the hundreds of other bits like powdercoating the suspension/subframe/various parts. All the bolts, fluids, small parts, cables, fixings that add up. I could go on.

Thousands of pounds yet to be spent, and you think I need to add a grand or two to all that on some wheels?

Come off it!

That's exactly what I'm saying, don't buy cheap crap to get the look, wait and they'll come up second hand and at a good price. You might need to refurb them but so what, you'll only make money on them.

You've already done it with other parts which is why I can't understand why you wouldn't with wheels!

BTW, what PCD are the old BMWs, 4x100? Retro Jap stuff is 4x114.3, so you'd need adaptors/hubs redrilling if you went down that route.

4x100 yeah.

Adaptors are probably the way to go, as I will probably be having spacers anyway.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Saving up for wheels. SRS?

Its like a £800 car. To borrow and analogy from above, that'd be like buying a £2000 wool suit and putting it on your dog.

Stick fakes on, tell people you saved up and that they are real, 99% won't even notice.

Flol. I love you.

Frankly I wouldn't spend £2k on a set of BBS. They're not THAT hard to come by.

If I want 15" in 8 & 9J they can get to silly money, but yeah, not all of them go for that.

Likelihood is I'm going to have to go for something narrower.

Not a chance in hell am I putting anything bigger on, 16's and upwards look stupid.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Makes me laugh how much people loved Mikes Clio on lenso's.

It's all about money.

For example, Gaz, your first jap wagon was rotten to the core yet sat on expensive wheels. What's the point? To get brownie points? The money would have been better spent on the car.

The money ed has spent already could have put him close to a proper set of wheels, but he's buying things that will actually make a difference to the look of the car and soon the structural integrity.

A set of BBS and a set of Lenso's give the car the exact same look. So why waste the money when there are more important things to be bought.

Makes me laugh how much people loved Mikes Clio on lenso's.

It's all about money.

For example, Gaz, your first jap wagon was rotten to the core yet sat on expensive wheels. What's the point? To get brownie points? The money would have been better spent on the car.

The money ed has spent already could have put him close to a proper set of wheels, but he's buying things that will actually make a difference to the look of the car and soon the structural integrity.

A set of BBS and a set of Lenso's give the car the exact same look. So why waste the money when there are more important things to be bought.

f**king A.

:eek:

To get brownie points? The only way to do that is to make your own supercool blog and rinse social media.

I bought the Regas because they're the lightest and strongest forged alloys going. I then had them on my Mazda, and have kept them for whatever I get next. If and when I do sell them, they'll be up for a lot more than I paid for them as the prices are climbing. Also, when I bought the wheels I didn't know the car was rotten to the core.

I bought the Work Meisters because they were a bargain on a forum full of Middle aged men who weren't clued up, made money on those.

As for you can't tell fake splits from real, you can. There's no join and plastic bolts ffs!

Anyway, it's irrelevant, Ed will do what Ed will do and if that's buying fake splits, so be it.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
To get brownie points? The only way to do that is to make your own supercool blog and rinse social media.

I bought the Regas because they're the lightest and strongest forged alloys going. I then had them on my Mazda, and have kept them for whatever I get next. If and when I do sell them, they'll be up for a lot more than I paid for them as the prices are climbing. Also, when I bought the wheels I didn't know the car was rotten to the core.

I bought the Work Meisters because they were a bargain on a forum full of Middle aged men who weren't clued up, made money on those.

As for you can't tell fake splits from real, you can. There's no join and plastic bolts ffs!

Anyway, it's irrelevant, Ed will do what Ed will do and if that's buying fake splits, so be it.

Rather than bargain hunting on wheels the time may have been better spent getting a car in decent condition?

And you make it sound like he's committing the crime of the century. Jesus wept.

Wheels are an investment? Do they go up in value then?

Buy them. Run them. Sell them for more?

If so I might go get some for my 200.

If you buy the right wheels, yup. Not that many people on this forum understand that.

Rather than bargain hunting on wheels the time may have been better spent getting a car in decent condition?

And you make it sound like he's committing the crime of the century. Jesus wept.

I'd had the car a long time before I ever clapped eyes on the wheels. When I got them, it was right place, right time. That's besides the point really.
I only found out how rotten it was because I stripped it all to pieces (much like this project), however the rust was too far gone for it to be worth saving a car that there's easily 1000s of throughout the world and are ten to a penny (unlike this project), and then the wheels were ripe for the next car, or I could have sold them on and got my money back and more.

I'm hardly making it out as "Crime of the Century", I just don't see much point buying a genuine BBS bodykit and not having the matching wheels if that's the look he's after.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I've never understood wheel snobbery.

If someone wants to outlay £2k for wheels for a car worth £1K, then that's their decision. The exact same way that if someone wants the same look for a fraction of the price and buys reps for £400 - their decision.

Personally I'd rather spend the extra money on other things, like Eddie has mentioned other things needed for the car, rather than running around in a shoddy example with expensive wheels for internet points.

As mentioned, most wouldn't know the difference unless they had them within an inch of their face.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Doesn't matter what's on it as long as it looks cool ;)

Can't wait for the progression of this Ed!