ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Glad your enjoying it mate. Having being used to DSLR’s, the novelty of what if refer to as ‘terminator mode’ when you look few the OVF hasn’t worn off yet. I’d highly recommend buying a soft release shutter for it btw mate. Only a couple of quid off amazon.

Still not really been out with it dude tbh. From the shots I’ve taken though, I’m impressed. I also like how understated it looks. For example, I’m looking forward to going to a wedding later in the year and not being mistaken for the ‘tog. Fly tomorrow morning, I’ll get up the pics later next month when I’m back

One thing I would say though is buy a couple of spare batteries. Full to half goes down as expected, but half to empty takes no time at all.

@Dr Jekyll

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Glad your enjoying it mate. Having being used to DSLR’s, the novelty of what if refer to as ‘terminator mode’ when you look few the OVF hasn’t worn off yet. I’d highly recommend buying a soft release shutter for it btw mate. Only a couple of quid off amazon.

Still not really been out with it dude tbh. From the shots I’ve taken though, I’m impressed. I also like how understated it looks. For example, I’m looking forward to going to a wedding later in the year and not being mistaken for the ‘tog. Fly tomorrow morning, I’ll get up the pics later next month when I’m back

One thing I would say though is buy a couple of spare batteries. Full to half goes down as expected, but half to empty takes no time at all.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I have bought a soft shutter button. Went with a flat silver so it looks all tied in. I also got a spare battery with the camera also so no issues atm, but I think I'll get another one just in case.

Yes I totally get what you mean regarding the look of the camera, it's understated which is another bonus to it.

Mine has a low shutter count of 4300, which I'm happy with. It's absolutely mint with one faint scratch and came with all the box/extras plus adapter ring and hood. Downfall is it's black and I'd of preferred silver.

Just bought a small 10" German made tripod (Vintage Prazision) and a walkaround bag to have as the little walkabout kit.

20180331_214358.png
20180331_214006.jpg
2018-03-31_09-37-01.jpg

I got the idea of the bag from Sean Tucker off he's YouTube video.

I hope you have a wonderful time away mate, I'm sure you will.

@Luke

172 cup
Looking to get myself a nice camera take a lot of photos of the family children dogs etc been looking at dslr but these mirrorless cameras seem to be just as good which would people recommend

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Looking to get myself a nice camera take a lot of photos of the family children dogs etc been looking at dslr but these mirrorless cameras seem to be just as good which would people recommend
Budget ? Requirements ? Experience ?

From someone that has about £5k worth of cameras and lenses sat in the cupboard (haven't bought anything for 5+ years), think about it properly before investing - I use my phone for at least 99% of my photography... Phone + Snapspeed (photoshop type app) and it's all backed up and online without doing anything.

S-Max & Mk7 GTi
If I didn’t use my kit for work I’d run with an iPhone 8+ (or iPhone X) and a Fuji XT20.

Trust me I have a lot of kit (I spent over 12k last year alone) and I still use my iPhone for 99% of all holiday/family shots.

S-Max & Mk7 GTi
ahh are they still the cheapest? we have used them before. new financial year today so its spend spend spend!

It’s always worth a bit of a google search but I normally find them cheaper on most things, there are the odd bits that you can find at a similar price over here. I tend to email Tina at Panamoz direct and she always tries to knock me a bit more cash off as I’ve dealt with them a fair bit over the past few years. I’ve had Nikon & Canons from them and have had no issues at all with them going in for warranty work etc.

172 cup
If I didn’t use my kit for work I’d run with an iPhone 8+ (or iPhone X) and a Fuji XT20.

Trust me I have a lot of kit (I spent over 12k last year alone) and I still use my iPhone for 99% of all holiday/family shots.

I take a lot of photos of my dogs an find at distance my phone doesn’t quite cut it I’d not want to spend more than £400 an don’t want anything to bulky really

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Camera phones are getting so good these days.

I like the physical side of using a camera but the ease and simplicity of pulling out your phone has a lot of appeal.

172 cup
Camera phones are getting so good these days.

I like the physical side of using a camera but the ease and simplicity of pulling out your phone has a lot of appeal.
Cheers for the pm dude camera phones are very good an upclose perform superbly just I find at distance they struggle massively

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Right it's been a long time since been on here. I've just past few days and looking at Thomas Heaton YouTube videos and i'm starting to get that feeling i want to get back into it. I've cleaned my lenses and filters just now, recharging me batterys.

I've still got my serial number for Photoshop Elements 11, is it still good enough in 2018? i tried to download it of Adobe but something went wrong with the file. I have no idea what to get for editing photos do i need Photoshop CC or what? I just want to pay x amount of money in 1 big lump and not to pay monthly payments and that.

I'm still rocking with my Canon 500D with the 18-55mm and got my trusty 24-105mm L lens and 17-40mm L lens both Canon and varous filters

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Would I need a flashgun and umbrella for a photo like this?

dda5b6bda893c4ebf29f6ced64770961.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Would I need a flashgun and umbrella for a photo like this?

dda5b6bda893c4ebf29f6ced64770961.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ideally yes you want some sort of off camera flash, either a shoot through umbrella or a softbox to achieve that, notice how the light spills from right to left. One is the minimum but ideally a key light to the right and then a small fill to the left to stop it looking too harsh.

Reactions: riz

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Looking for my first camera, which would you go with out of these? The new mirrorless cameras are too expensive.
- https://www.castlecameras.co.uk/pentax-k-3ii-18-135wr
- Nikon D5300 with 18-55VR lens kit

I managed to preorder the D5300 for £400, is the Pentax worth the extra? The weather protection will come in handy when visiting the Lake District...and the Pentax 18-135 lens will be suitable for a while?

Done alright with the Nikon, the kit lens will keep you going to start off with then soon enough you’ll be wanting to upgrade as the kit lens aren’t great. If your into landscape photography you’ll be wanting something along the lines off 24-70, 70-200. If it’s lashing it down with rain a good idea is put a shower cap over the camera. My camera has been out in the rain few times and it’s been ok, just got to be sensible on when to pack it away. Sorry know nothing about Pentax, someone else here will help you on that.
I love going to the lakes , been meaning to go over very soon.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I’m selling my Manfrotto BeFree travel tripod and looking to get the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, not sure yet to go for the 200PL or the Top Lock Plate ‘arca Swiss’ type. Any experience using either of them?

I’m debating to the sell my 24-105mm and get the 24-70mm, 80% of the time I don’t go over the 70mm. I’d like to get the 70-200mm eventually to get some nice landscape close up shots. Been plenty of times where I needed a much longer zoom.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The 24-70 f2.8 is a great lens. The wife has the Sigma version which I've used a fair few times.

As for the tripod head, mines a Manfrotto 496rc2 with the 200pl type plate. It's decent for what I want it for the, plus I picked up a pack of 5 spare plates for around £15 which is handy.
The legs I use are the 190XproB. Never let me down although I'm looking for a lighter, more compact setup for traveling.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
The 24-70 f2.8 is a great lens. The wife has the Sigma version which I've used a fair few times.

As for the tripod head, mines a Manfrotto 496rc2 with the 200pl type plate. It's decent for what I want it for the, plus I picked up a pack of 5 spare plates for around £15 which is handy.
The legs I use are the 190XproB. Never let me down although I'm looking for a lighter, more compact setup for traveling.
Been looking on the net and YouTube and the f2.8 is the one to go for, but it’s way above my price range. The f4 would be more for me but it’s getting on now until the new version comes out. Can you use a l plate on the 200pl ball head? Or just on the other ball head.

The 190 series is a nice tripod, you could look at the carbon fibre one or if you got the 3 go for the 4 system I think their a tad shorter in length due to the extra leg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Been looking on the net and YouTube and the f2.8 is the one to go for, but it’s way above my price range. The f4 would be more for me but it’s getting on now until the new version comes out. Can you use a l plate on the 200pl ball head? Or just on the other ball head.

The 190 series is a nice tripod, you could look at the carbon fibre one or if you got the 3 go for the 4 system I think their a tad shorter in length due to the extra leg

I'm not sure if you can mix and match the plates tbh, I've never really noticed the other ones.

There are a few tripods I've seen on Amazon, my mate has one which I can't think of the name of, but it's super compact and they have a carbon version now.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'm not sure if you can mix and match the plates tbh, I've never really noticed the other ones.

There are a few tripods I've seen on Amazon, my mate has one which I can't think of the name of, but it's super compact and they have a carbon version now.
finally went for the Manfrotto 055 Carbon Fibre with the top plate arca swiss compatible. Massive difference on quality and strenth of the ball head and tripod from the travel tripod. The ball head is rock solid. Really pleased.

Only just noticed i forgot on my Asus monitor i can switch between differnet button settings for Scenery, Standard, Game, sRGB and so on. When using my Photoshop Elements do i need to put it on sRGB or just standard? Lately it's been on Gaming for my Playstation and forgot about these settings. No wonderthey look different the colour tones

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure tbh Mark. I've got my laptop screen calibrated as it's all I use it for. Wouldn't really know with something that is used for other things.
Do you have a custom setting that you could maybe get calibrated?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'm not sure tbh Mark. I've got my laptop screen calibrated as it's all I use it for. Wouldn't really know with something that is used for other things.
Do you have a custom setting that you could maybe get calibrated?
I
I got it calibrated about 2 weeks ago on the the “game mode” when I go on other modes it changes the colour range. Maybe I should put it to standard and then re calibrate it. Not sure if the sRGB mode is specifically for photo editing that’s all

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I’m literally pissed at the minute. I had the Manfrotto BeFree travel tripod and it was spot on but I grown out of it. I sold it on eBay customer is happy. Any way I went on Amazon and thought I’d treat myself with the MT055CXPRO3 Carbon Fibre one. First one came was fine until I heard a rattle in one of the tubes I took apart the leg and 3 pieces of plastic had broken from the frame inside. I took it back and got my replacement. That had a scratch, missing paperwork and had been used. I sent that one back and had my 3rd replacement today and I heard yet another rattle in one of the legs I extended the leg and the piece fell onto the floor. I’ve sent yet another returns label for Amazon. I expected so much build quality from Manfrotto. This is the new model 055 I think they need better quality parts inside the tubes.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Who are you getting it from Mark? Is it a trusted seller on there?

If the next one isn't acceptable I'd look at other tripods although I've never had issues with mine or the wife's Manfrottos, but they are both Alu.
Three legged things are supposed to be really good, as are Benro.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I didn’t take much notice on the seller , I don’t really much take notice of that. The first two times I rang up Amazon and they’ve been spit on very helpful. But this time I didn’t bother just did it on my account. I don’t think you can get a choice once it’s getting exchanged. The second one didn’t seem to have that leg issue or strange noise or rattle on the leg. I’m kind of thinking I should of kept that one if I’d knew even though I’m kind of thinking it was used.
I had a quick look on google I maybe struggling for a local dealer to pop in a have a look at it with my own eyes before buying. On Amazon it’s pretty much half the price from Carbon Fibre to Aluminium. I have literally no idea if I’m getting second hand stuff or someone is mishandling it. Been just over a week and no tripod so no pictures. Not sure what make or model to go for now or try just one more time

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
My £15 HamaStar one has been quite ok for the last decade ?
Lol, I think I use town a Hama tripod when I first bought my camera.
I sent back my 055 tripod to Amazon today. And I’ve ordered another 055 same model from Wex online and it’s arriving tomorrow. We shall see this time round.

Not been out with the camera for a while, but was asked to do a shoot for a friend as her horse is sadly quite poorly.

Taking ages to edit due to the amount of flies that were buzzing around and were on the horse. But did a couple to get the ball rolling!

27851336347_40dfe7247f_b.jpg

27851337727_94cf4734a3_b.jpg

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Probably going to stick my Fuji X100S up on eBay this week, give me a shout if you’re interested! Good camera, I’ve not touched it since I got back from my honeymoon so it’s going.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Would any of you on here be up for a photography holiday to Iceland for 5 to 7 days around May - June area next year?