ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Twingo Dynamique
And yeah clearly not being hung but just couldn't see any human legs- and looks like the lead is pulling it off the ground?! Either way each to their own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

172 cup
And yeah clearly not being hung but just couldn't see any human legs- and looks like the lead is pulling it off the ground?! Either way each to their own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The lead that is attached to the collar which is loose is not pulling the dog off the ground his feet are firmly on the floor

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Bit of a different what camera question, I'm after advice on a good camera for photogrammetry. (3d models from photos)
Looking to spend up to a grand on the body then another £500 on a 50mm lense.
What camera would give me the highest resolution shots for that kind of cash?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Hey people, been a long time. Been on my mind a bit recently about photography. It's been bugging me and time is now to get back into it. I reeally need a kick, i miss taking photos.
Anyone from the Durham area want a meet up on landscape or seascape stuff?

Anything i've missed since been away?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've decided to enter a few national salons (competitions, no idea why they name they Salon tbh)

Managed to decide to images for the Frome one - that took a while. Currently going through images for the Bebington salon and it's proving difficult in the Landscape category. I want to include Sea & City but the rules don't say anything about it and could be marked down/ not accepted. Just waiting to hear back with some clarification about it, the Frome salon just stated "Scapes"

There's also a Camera & Optics show in Liverpool on October 7/8th which I'm going to try and get to, some decent speakers there this year.

@Geddes Just try and get out with it. You've got decent places to go around yours. Have you seen if there is a club local to you? Might be worth looking into.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I had some results back from one of the salons I entered. I've had one image accepted and 17 rejected. I'll eventually get a DVD of all of the accepted images and the winners from the category. I think I need to brush up my photoshop skills though if I want to do well. The art of taking a photo and slight edits are gone I think. Everything seems to be edited to the extreme and loved.

This is the one that was accepted.
Idwal reflections.jpg.jpg

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
"The art of taking a photo and slight edits are gone I think. Everything seems to be edited to the extreme and loved."

I don't like this way at all. If you use too much PS on a landscape photo, that is not a 'landscape' anymore. That's a 'vision', a digital art / digital illustration. Although I like digital art pics as well, but there should be a limit between the 2 themes. Shame that extreme editing can take place in landscape photography.

I find a lot of photos on Flickr/Instagram look spectacular, but if people post a before and after, the original isn't even a great photo.
I always try and take the best shot I can in the first place, then lightly edit to make it more like 'what I saw' when I took the photo, rather than editing it for hours to make it into something else.

That being said, I do appreciate the effort and quality of heavily edited images, but in competitions and such I think there needs to be a line between the two.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
You wouldn't believe what people put into comps even though there is already a "creative" category, there is still so much obvious Photoshop, not just landscape but portrait, still life etc.
When I get time, I'll post some of the images that won the categories. Don't think there's one that's not been heavily photoshopped.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Chaps I'm after a rucksack to put all of my camera gear into.

I've got a Gopro and mounts and a cannon 70D with one lense, my wife has just bought me a Gopro ruck sack which is nice but just not big enough.

What have you got and where did you buy it from?

Many thanks.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a nearly new Lowepro tat I can sell.
I can't remember the name of it but I have the same but with a laptop compartment so it's never going to get used.
I know it'll fit a dlsr plus upto 3 lenses. It's also got a from pocket for filters etc and a top half which I used to fit all the baby's stuff in.

Fastpack 200 I think. I'll check when I'm home.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I've got a nearly new Lowepro tat I can sell.
I can't remember the name of it but I have the same but with a laptop compartment so it's never going to get used.
I know it'll fit a dlsr plus upto 3 lenses. It's also got a from pocket for filters etc and a top half which I used to fit all the baby's stuff in.

Fastpack 200 I think. I'll check when I'm home.
Cheers mate.

So I've got a 550D, a few lenses (Tokina 11-16mm, 50mm prime 1.8, and then the 2 stock lenses), looking to upgrade and get an all-purpose lens for general photography & product photography.

The one sticking out is the 24-70mm F4 - I looked at the F2.8II and without IS it feels like a downgrade despite being a sharper image. I also like the idea of the macro feature which is what drew me away from the equiv Tamron 24-70mm's. Can anyone advise? Also, seeing all these new cameras out, is it worth just switching camera? With stuff like the GH4/GH5 etc, and the other 'compacts/micro 43rd's' becoming amazing and even having great lenses, what would you do??

I know, big question.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
So I've got a 550D, a few lenses (Tokina 11-16mm, 50mm prime 1.8, and then the 2 stock lenses), looking to upgrade and get an all-purpose lens for general photography & product photography.

The one sticking out is the 24-70mm F4 - I looked at the F2.8II and without IS it feels like a downgrade despite being a sharper image. I also like the idea of the macro feature which is what drew me away from the equiv Tamron 24-70mm's. Can anyone advise? Also, seeing all these new cameras out, is it worth just switching camera? With stuff like the GH4/GH5 etc, and the other 'compacts/micro 43rd's' becoming amazing and even having great lenses, what would you do??

I know, big question.

Depends how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it.

10-20 and a 30mm f/1.4 are about all I ever use in normal life.

Been doing some work related toggin' this week, decent lights and a tripod and shooting at f/10+ so a ''fast" lense is irrelevant.

I would say my 30mm is an all rounder. If you want to zoom in, stand closer or crop later.

Your question is like (and I'm sure I've used this analogy before) asking the forum which car to buy to drive on roads.. if you see what I mean...

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
A good all round lens is the Canon 24-105 f4 but it'll be more like 50-150 (or whatever it works out when you times it by 1.6 for your crop sensor)

I've never used the image stabilisation on any of my lenses.

Your 50 should be good enough for product photography but it all depends what you will be doing.
Do you need the 2.8? The wife has the Sigma 24-70 2.8 and it's superb but costly.

Depends how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it.

10-20 and a 30mm f/1.4 are about all I ever use in normal life.

Been doing some work related toggin' this week, decent lights and a tripod and shooting at f/10+ so a ''fast" lense is irrelevant.

I would say my 30mm is an all rounder. If you want to zoom in, stand closer or crop later.

Your question is like (and I'm sure I've used this analogy before) asking the forum which car to buy to drive on roads.. if you see what I mean...
A good all round lens is the Canon 24-105 f4 but it'll be more like 50-150 (or whatever it works out when you times it by 1.6 for your crop sensor)

I've never used the image stabilisation on any of my lenses.

Your 50 should be good enough for product photography but it all depends what you will be doing.
Do you need the 2.8? The wife has the Sigma 24-70 2.8 and it's superb but costly.

Went with the F4 24-70 in the end. Looking at reviews of the 24-105 it seemed a bit pants in terms of image quality, and the F2.8 I couldn't justify at twice the cost when looking at the sample pics and it was barely any different (plus I'm still on a 550D so it's a little overkill imo). So far, absolutely loving it. It'll be my general lens, and use it for product photography (well, it's for my blog), and the macro stuff is also real nice which will also come in handy. I guess for me it's kind of all-purpose lens step up from the kit lens (to some degree), it's always hard/long to explain my full usage, but I'm 100% happy with it :)

Also loving the quality of the lens itself, it's my first L lens, and you really get that premium feel with it - it's heavy, robust, smooth, and the focusing is whisper quiet. I was drone racing in the woods on the weekend and despite being cloudy for a lot of it, there was still plenty of light to not really require any lower F stops. I'm sure my pics are still potato compared to most, but for me they're a nice step in quality :smile:

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure which reviews you read on the 24-105 but it's far from pants. Maybe you read on the old kit lens (3.5-6), not the F4. It's a go to lens for a lot of pro photographers I know.
Anyway, glad you got a new one. Glass is the most important part of the camera setup.

Not sure which reviews you read on the 24-105 but it's far from pants. Maybe you read on the old kit lens (3.5-6), not the F4. It's a go to lens for a lot of pro photographers I know.
Anyway, glad you got a new one. Glass is the most important part of the camera setup.

It was definitely the F4 I was looking at. Not so much 'pants', but from what I remember researching it wasn't as sharp and had a lot of colour distortion/vignetting, particularly when at the extreme ends (24 + 105).

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
If any of you guys are interested I’m sticking up my Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 on eBay tonight. Nikon fit.

Will come boxed and with a 10 stop ND filter, and I’ll chuck in some Grad filters too.

PM me if you’re insterested!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
So I’m off on my honeymoon in a couple of weeks and fancied a change from lugging around the SLR and changing lenses. On a whim, I’ve just bought a preowned Fujifilm X100S!

Really looking forward to trying it out. The image quality looks incredible.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I came in here to post about a nice compact camera and asking for people's experience on the range in particular which was the Fuji x100 range and I just see Lukes post above!

I like the idea of a pocket camera with a fixed lens and having the retro look to them is a bonus.

Where did you get it from? @Luke?

Has anybody else got experience with these cameras? I'll be looking at buying 2nd hand.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
@Dr Jekyll I picked it up under £400 from MPB mate, sold my 10-20 on there and hear nothing but good things.

They look excellent mate. Went for the S above the normal X100 due to the improved focussing and larger sensor.

Can’t wait now. Have a look at some reviews on YouTube mate, they seem to be well-praised.

Hopefully it will re-ignite my love of taking pictures that I’ve lost over the last few years!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I must admit, that's all I've been watching over the last few days! Sean Tucker done a nice review on it, amonst others. I think the S is the one to get for me. The T/F are way out of budget and the x100 is a bit dated and vastly improved with the S, upon reading.

Our wedding photgropher had the F as a 2nd camera and raved about it when I dropped him a message the other day.

Oddly, I was going to message you about your 10-20 too as I need a hood for mine as I lost mine in a river but it's irrelevant now!

You'll have to keep us updated on how you find it. Looking forwad to seeing your pics. Maybe posts few in the pic thread before you go or are you not playing with it until the holiday?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I’ll play with it before dude, I’ve not used anything other than Nikon SLR’s and my iPhone for the last 10 years so will need the practice!

S-Max & Mk7 GTi
The Fuji X range are great, I’ve got a x100 and had (and then sold) a XT2. The XT20 is cracking for the money and would be my pick as a travel/family camera. Get spare batteries, they eat through them. Try Panamoz for price can’t recommend them enough.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
d07be707086cf748ac68add5dd9dfc6d.jpg

Lovely looking bit of kit. Feels less sturdy in the hands than an SLR as an initial impression, just waiting for the battery to charge now!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Only briefly dude. Really, really impressed.

The way it handles high ISO is mental, and the manual focus assist modes are awesome.

I do find it a little soft at f2 when in ‘macro’ but by bumping it past f3.5 it helps. Super sharp otherwise though.

Lots of complaints online re:AF speed. It’s absolutely fine, just as quick as my DSLR I reckon.

Still playing around with the settings; I tend to shoot a couple of stops under-exposed for best results.

I also bought an aftermarket lens hood, soft shutter release button and clear Hoya filter as mine didn’t come with a lens cap. Had to remove the filter as the lens kept on ‘touching’ it when focussing. Soft shutter release is s must imo.

I’m off to Singapore/Bali next week to give its first outing, will post up the results.

Best of luck with it @Dr Jekyll, hope you enjoy it!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
They look great Matt, really impressive. I’m a bit apprehensive about just using the fixed focal length (when I was in Dubai I was under 20mm a lot), but also really looking forward to be being forced to use what I’ve got.

I’ve been out of the photography game for a while, need to download Lightroom. Seen it’s only £9.99 a month from Adobe now.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I really like it.

Got to admit, when I 1st got it, I was unsure. The camera and feel itself was lovely and it looked great but I was a bit unsure on the picture taking of it. It just felt different to my dslr.

However, now I've had a little play with it, I'm much more comfortable with it. I like the weight and general feel of it and I've only used it indoors but the iso levels are great.

It seems a lot more sensitive too. As in, if I alter the shutter speed or aperture levels down a notch, it makes a big difference. I suppose I mostly shoot in aperture priority on my Nikon, so this has a more manual feel to it. Saying that, you can do shutter/aperture priority on this but I'm going to see how I get used to it without.

I've not really used a big F stop yet so I can't comment on how soft it is. I know you mentioned about this.

Tomorrow will be a better test as me and my Mrs are heading into London for a mooch around and I'm taking the camera there so hopefully it'll be good practise.

How do you find it now Luke, knowing you've had a play with yours now?

@Luke