ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

I've currently got a Canon 550D & various lenses (24-70mm, 11-66mm, 50mm prime, both kit lens).

I keep looking at going mirrorless (a6300/a6500), am I mad at this budget? I'd probably want to keep the lens I have at least for a bit, so need an adapter. But not sure if the jump/move to mirrorless is worth it (in that budget). Having a smaller camera for trips would be a lot better, but not sure if I'm going to suffer. Mainly do product photography with a bit of light trails, and sports, and general event/portrait stuff.

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Would any of you on here be up for a photography holiday to Iceland for 5 to 7 days around May - June area next year?
I’d love to do this but I can’t commit to any holidays next year.

You also need to be going Feb/March very early April too I think.

Ok, so I got lucky in the Argos glitch, there was a glitch if you add a memory card to basket, you get 40% off a load of camera gear (it was meant to be off the memory card).

Long story short, I got 40% off of a A6500 body... :) also there's £300 cashback via Sony right now, so that'll make the body cost around £450.... considering RRP is £1600 and it sells for £1200 in most shops, I cannot complain at all.

So I'm now the proud owner of a A6500 :D I bought the Fotodiox EF -> E-mount and it seems to work, need to test all my lenses. But on the 24-70mm it works well!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I’d love to do this but I can’t commit to any holidays next year.

You also need to be going Feb/March very early April too I think.
Reason why I picked May June was so there was still a bit thawing snow on the ground it ads a bit I don’t mind going when in winter time but this time I’d rather see a bit of ground and snow. I’d be up for April though.
Been looking at AirB&b accommodations if you share between 2 or 4 of you for example it works out very cheap or go to a camp site and also rent a vehicle too.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok.

You won't get much darkness, only 3 hours between sunset and sunrise from Mid May to Mid August, effectively giving 24 hour daytime.

I've a few mates that have done it in a campervan and just taken pasta and sauces with them on the flight out as it's supposed to be pretty expensive out there.

Think they paid around £150 per day for the van plus fuel. Not sure if they just pulled up and slept at the side of the road.
A few people have said not to stay in one place, so hire a car if you are going down the b&b route and plan a few areas to stay. It's a long drive around apparently.

It's somewhere I'll go, I'll be heading when there's not a great deal of daylight though and a good chance to see the Northern lights.

Few days in with the A6500, its awesome! Got the Fotodiox Canon EF -> Sony E adapter, it's ok but I have a Metabones on the way tomorrow, so that should sort me out for faster AF and Eye detection etc :D as well as the IBIS stabilisation. Loving mirrorless so far, should have switched sooner lol.

clio 200
Few days in with the A6500, its awesome! Got the Fotodiox Canon EF -> Sony E adapter, it's ok but I have a Metabones on the way tomorrow, so that should sort me out for faster AF and Eye detection etc :D as well as the IBIS stabilisation. Loving mirrorless so far, should have switched sooner lol.

Best thing I ever did going from a Nikon d7100 to a Sony a7ii. So much more versatile and easier to carry all day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best thing I ever did going from a Nikon d7100 to a Sony a7ii. So much more versatile and easier to carry all day

So far it's just a joy using the focus peaking, the clarity & DoF seems better also, even though its still a crop sensor. I'm on the Metabones adapter so still working out optimal settings for fastest AF, but it has its own USB port for customising the software and allows proper Green mode, so just a case of playing around. Really like it so far though!

I actually had a A7ii reserved as well, but decided on going for the A6500 - while it's cropped vs full size, it seemed like the A6500 was the better buy in the end (although always hard to tell tbh).

clio 200
So far it's just a joy using the focus peaking, the clarity & DoF seems better also, even though its still a crop sensor. I'm on the Metabones adapter so still working out optimal settings for fastest AF, but it has its own USB port for customising the software and allows proper Green mode, so just a case of playing around. Really like it so far though!

I actually had a A7ii reserved as well, but decided on going for the A6500 - while it's cropped vs full size, it seemed like the A6500 was the better buy in the end (although always hard to tell tbh).

Just being able to see how your image will look is a massive plus for me. I also had a Fuji X-T10 for a little while but wanted to go full frame. The best lens I have is a Helios 44 which I bought from eBay for £18. The bokeh from it is just something else
41815668654_0c96ef7fea_b.jpg
Lenny by Jon Hare, on Flickr

Just being able to see how your image will look is a massive plus for me. I also had a Fuji X-T10 for a little while but wanted to go full frame. The best lens I have is a Helios 44 which I bought from eBay for £18. The bokeh from it is just something else
View attachment 1374227Lenny by Jon Hare, on Flickr

Damn! I guess that's also a benefit of full frame, bokeh is usually far better. Wait £18!? Does that fit the E mount???

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Ah ok.

You won't get much darkness, only 3 hours between sunset and sunrise from Mid May to Mid August, effectively giving 24 hour daytime.

I've a few mates that have done it in a campervan and just taken pasta and sauces with them on the flight out as it's supposed to be pretty expensive out there.

Think they paid around £150 per day for the van plus fuel. Not sure if they just pulled up and slept at the side of the road.
A few people have said not to stay in one place, so hire a car if you are going down the b&b route and plan a few areas to stay. It's a long drive around apparently.

It's somewhere I'll go, I'll be heading when there's not a great deal of daylight though and a good chance to see the Northern lights.
Yeah I was planning of going where the sun is up majority of the day, think that time of year the sun part of that day just hovers over the horizon giving off beautiful colours for hours rather than just around 15 mins to 30 mins in the UK. Seen a video where you need to be in night mode when the best light is on and sleep during the day. Be interested if your mates are going next year, would you be able to ask them? I didn’t mind doing a camper van and share costs on fuel and tent from place to place, I’d like to go and see lots of places while I’m there.
I’ve looked at workshops and the price is way over my budget like, even the tours go to place to place is really expensive. All I need is the gps location and be able to find it by myself and go when ever I want and that appeals to me

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Yeah I’ll have a look at his video no problem. Yeah I really like watching Thomas Heaton videos, love his work. I actually met him in Durham few years back at a talk I didn’t know he was there for that, back then he just started YouTube with just a few videos. Had a autograph of him too

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
@harey great recommendation on that guy, seem a few of his videos and will watch way more. I’m now subscribed to his channel.

I've recently bought a Panasonic GX-80 which came with the 12-24mm kit lens, shortly after I purchased a 25mm prime to allow me some DOF images.

I'm getting married in August and we're going to California for our honeymoon, is there any accessories worth me taking along? I've got some 52mm filters which I'm planning to use with a 46-52mm step-up adaptor, they include a UV and CPL.

clio 200
I've recently bought a Panasonic GX-80 which came with the 12-24mm kit lens, shortly after I purchased a 25mm prime to allow me some DOF images.

I'm getting married in August and we're going to California for our honeymoon, is there any accessories worth me taking along? I've got some 52mm filters which I'm planning to use with a 46-52mm step-up adaptor, they include a UV and CPL.

Tripod or something like a Joby Gorillapod.
Plenty of spare batteries (or battery grip) and memory cards.
Remote shutter

Cupra

We did California last summer. I had my 24-105, 70-200 and a 80mm prime. Nearly everything was either shot on the 24-105 (normally at the 24mm end) or my phone. For the time I needed a tripod (Milky Way shot at night) I just used my camera bag with a remote release (glad I bought that along, but a timed shutter would have also worked).

As for the filters, I never use a UV unless I'm in a really unfriendly environment (beach), and my CPL has never seen the light of day since I was once inspired to take some snaps of my car. A graded ND filter might be a useful addition, but I shot in RAW and then pulled the skies back in post instead.

Memory cards are the main thing I'd be stocking up on... You'll fill a load!

Where are you heading?

@Andy.

Memory cards I have a 64GB, 32GB and an 8GB, my DX-80 shows capacity of around 2000 photos in RAW with the 64GB. Worst case I can always pick some more up in the states.

We are starting out in San Francisco, there for 4 nights, head to Pismo Beach for 1 night, downtown LA for 4 nights, Long Beach for 4 nights and then 1 night in Monterey before heading back to the airport in San Francisco the next day.

Cupra
@Andy.

Memory cards I have a 64GB, 32GB and an 8GB, my DX-80 shows capacity of around 2000 photos in RAW with the 64GB. Worst case I can always pick some more up in the states.

We are starting out in San Francisco, there for 4 nights, head to Pismo Beach for 1 night, downtown LA for 4 nights, Long Beach for 4 nights and then 1 night in Monterey before heading back to the airport in San Francisco the next day.
I’m jealous. I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

Add Laguna Seca and 17 mile drive to your list of things to do from Monterey! Well worth it. I guess you’re also planning to go whale watching?

Some of my snaps from last year are here.

Have fun!

@Andy.

You've definitely added a few extra places to our trip now, thanks!

We won't be in Monterey for too long unfortunately, it's our place of rest after driving up from LA to get to San Fran for our flight back the next day :(

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
HI again everyone.

Anyone found a half decent suction mount that lets you mount the camera pretty flexibly, yet (hopefully) sturdily, like so?
FE4B9F4C-5C51-4779-BC74-F11E693D069F.jpeg

The above is £129 but I was wondering whether anyone had found anything that works well for less. I know I could probably build one for a pretty low price but frankly I just CBA.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I'd never dream of putting £2k of camera on it, and definitely not without a secondary tether anyway, but I get what you're saying. I don't need it for too much so I can't really justify forking out megabucks.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Chopping in the 70D for an Eos M50, main reason being I rarerly take the 70D out due to size and weight, looking forward to using the new one.
4c1c29b1f030e0ef1b699c407cd0bcdc.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

HI again everyone.

Anyone found a half decent suction mount that lets you mount the camera pretty flexibly, yet (hopefully) sturdily, like so?
View attachment 1381963

The above is £129 but I was wondering whether anyone had found anything that works well for less. I know I could probably build one for a pretty low price but frankly I just CBA.

What's your objective with this kind of setup? A single manfrotto suction cup and a magic arm will hold a good 5kg of weight but you'll struggle to buy both for less than what that costs really.

Cashback from Sony got paid on my A6500, that makes it £450 new... DANG!

Also, loving it so far. Only thing I have found to be really annoying is my adapter for Canon stuff doesn't particularly like my 24-70mm - one of my best/favourite lenses. It'll just hunt forever sometimes trying to get focus, a bit annoying. And trying my 50-250mm at Goodwood was also pretty useless. I need to get some more Sony lenses - picked up the 30mm f1.4 which is real nice, want to get the 16mm and then look at getting some sort of telephoto.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Off to the Mach Loop tomorrow for 3 days, hoping for some decent action although weather isn't looking too favourable at the moment!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Off to the Mach Loop tomorrow for 3 days, hoping for some decent action although weather isn't looking too favourable at the moment!
Nice.

Hopefully you’ll get something decent.
The one and only time I’ve been was a washout. Howling wind,driving rain and zero aircraft.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Nice.

Hopefully you’ll get something decent.
The one and only time I’ve been was a washout. Howling wind,driving rain and zero aircraft.

Ha, that's what i'm fearing. Weather is looking ok tomorrow, Thursday and Friday are looking a bit iffy.

I've got a pop up tent just incase, I want to be prepared!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Nice!

Don't want to turn it into photography chat, but love the Helios stuff - I have 2x 44-2's and a 44-M in 50mm guise myself, great fun manual lenses!

Seems our posts have been shuffled to the correct thread, lol

I've got a few of the old M42 fitment lenses on adaptors. Cheap as piss, but that Helios is a lovely bit of kit. Doe the 44-2 have 8 blades as opposed to 6?

Seems our posts have been shuffled to the correct thread, lol

I've got a few of the old M42 fitment lenses on adaptors. Cheap as piss, but that Helios is a lovely bit of kit. Doe the 44-2 have 8 blades as opposed to 6?

It's a pretty retarded system - thread goes off-topic for pages when talking about someones nans wonky elbows (yet no dedicated thread!!). 1 reply about something an admin doesn't like and boom it's all moved lol

Yeah some of the ones I have got have 8 blades :) I'd have to check the lenses to remember which though!

Clio 182 Trophy
Has anyone ever been on a photography course? I feel like i know the basics but my composition and post production could be massively improved. Also £ for £ its seems better value than just buying more kit.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Recommendations for some photo (and video separate programs is fine) editing software that isn’t adobe and doesn’t require a subscription?