ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

November Photography Competition

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
October saw 2 winning entries for the subject of bokeh, a big well done to damo2008 and capturedbyjames.

damo2008.jpg

mrmahoosive.jpg

As an interesting twist this month we have decided to go with 2 theme's, the first chosen by james which I feel appeals to a wide range of new and old photographers, and the second chosen by damo which appeals to the more artistic out there.

The 2 themes are:

Sunrise and Negative Space

Pick a theme to go with it, and include it when posting your pictures! You can still only enter one photo

Entries close last day of November.

The Rules:

- Post a maximum of 3 images at one time, you can come back with more pics if you have tried something different, but please stick to 3 pics max each time.

- You must flag one image as your entry, feel free to repost your chosen image towards the end of the comp with 'entry' above it, this will be placed into a new thread at the end of the alloted time for people to vote on. Only images with entry clearly written above or below it will be accepted.

- Try to keep posted images to a max of around 800px wide.

- No rules on photoshop use etc, but this is first and foremost a photography contest, not a photoshop contest.

- All images entered must be taken within the dates of the competition specified above.

- If you want to change your entry, you MUST PM me before the closing date.

- If you haven't followed the above rules don't come moaning when your picture isn't in the voting thread.

The Winner will choose the next subject for December and win a special ClioSport.net goody bag!

Good luck !!

Last edited:
How will you tell the difference between a sunrise and sunset? :rasp:

I'm too lazy to get up early, so sunsets would suit be best ;)

proton compact 1.3 GLi
was planning on getting up early anyway tomorrow, we shall see (probably gunna treat myself to a lie-in) the negative space one sounds a little tricky but challenge accepted :) sounds like a fun month!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Interesting themes and a lot of thinking involved!

So are we allowed 2 entries for this month then (1 for each theme)....or what?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Possible contender for the Sunrise theme. With my job I should be getting a photo every morning. Will look in to the negative space theme too...

6321184565_a552efc748_z.png

Honda. Tesla Someday
Heres one for me (first time entering one of these).

Pic taken at Camber Sands - taken with my iPhone 4 and also edited on the iPhone 4!

DeeKay86 Entry.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a coincidence that your sun "rise" is the same time as sunset? That's on all of them on Flickr too :S

"Navy" N17 TWO
Dam nice shot anyway :)

Just reminded myself that I forgot to put the time back on my camera from I was in Spain....almost 6 weeks ago :eek: lol

proton compact 1.3 GLi
a did a sunset yesterday at 12pm, goes off to change the time on the camera :banghead:

but surely all the dark/ black tones counts as negative space on what should be light tones of a well lit sunrise (set if you don't believe my honesty) ???

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Some more possible contenders for Sunrise. Not had the best few weeks for these in work and I'll be fcuked if I'm getting up at 6am on my day off....

6352199177_1a90c7cf0e_z.png

6352206081_4d715bc336_z.png

Tried to get some sunrise photos yesterday morning after work but they turned out RUBBISH!!!! I bet the sun doesn't come out to play again now for me to have a go at the idea I've got that incorporates both themes but in a slightly different way to expected.

MX-5
I'm not sure what negative space is. Is it completely open to interpretation, or does it imply something specific?

MX-5
Ah, so you didn't know either.

It seems, from what I can establish, that the word negative is largely redundant in the title of the concept. Essentially it is a technique in which one leaves a lot of the frame without an obvious subject. The subject itself is often in an unexpected location within the frame, and the space (I'm still not sure why it's "negative") around it draws attention to it, in a perhaps unexpected way.

I assumed that the person who set the topic would be able to explain what they were after, which was why I asked. Please accept my most humble apologies.

MX-5
Yes, thanks for that. This is why I asked in the first place (I had no idea it was a photographic style/genre)... to me, negative space would mean the opposite of space, something like this:

04220009.jpg

Whereas what you're after for the competition is probably something more like this where there is, in fact, quite a lot of space:

04210015.jpg

(Neither of these could be my entry since I haven't taken them this month, although with 35mm there is no EXIF data to worry about ;)

Last edited: