ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next car a RS 197/200 or 225?

Clio III 1.2 16v 06
After I've got myself another years no claims , on 3 ATM just want to wait til 4 years because insurance now is still pushing 2000 for a 197, I have a good grade B postcode too just 3 points for failing to stop at red light.

But my question is what RS to get I like Meganes as there a slightly bigger car and turbo'd so easier to modify for extra bhp with a remap/filter/exhaust?

I know it's more like personal choice but I like the looks of both and would have to get either car with recaros.

What problems too look out for in either motors?

Im yet to even sit in any Renault sport never mind have a drive of one.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Having driven all of them recently, I went for a 200 as it was the most fun for me.

The 250's are hugely capable and a lot quicker in a straight line, but I just didn't get on with it.

I think that's because I prefer hot hatches to be relatively light and agile. I also prefer NA over forced induction, so that was another vote for the 200.

Drive them all and make a decision though. Find out what's best for you.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As above, the 225's and the 197's are very different to drive.

Get a good drive in both of them and decide from there.

I personally don't like the way that a standard 225 delivers its power and prefer the revvyness and chuckability of a 197.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
id rather get a MINT trophy than any of the above, 197s i'd be too paranoid about gearbox horror storys, the 200 if pig ugly and the 225s dont do it for me imo. r26r on the other hand ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Unless its a clio dci box, all renault boxes are made of chocloate.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
JC5's are just as bad. It's always been an issue really.

A bit of mechanical sympathy goes a long way.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Realy?? I've never ever had a dci box go pete tong.

Unless of course the dci's get treated better during their life? Tbf, thats probably the case as unless your names martin, you won't be hammering a dci around where 90% of 1*2's have had their teeth kicked in up and down a dual carriageway.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah dci80 uses 172 box, dci100 uses twingo RS box, dci 106 uses 197/200 box - obviously with different ratios.

this is where i rest my case about their being no issues with the boxes, drive them properly and they dont break!!!

obviously the dci boxes arn't getting high RPM changes but they are getting much more torque through them on a daily basis even about town than a RS car is on the limit lol

Audi A5
I personal would go for a r26 as you get the same mpg and tax as the 197/200's you got some low down torgue for everyday driving, your not going to loose muchmoney on them as pretty much at the botton of their value, limited slip diff to play with and comes with recaros as you said you want some.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
yeah dci80 uses 172 box, dci100 uses twingo RS box, dci 106 uses 197/200 box - obviously with different ratios.

this is where i rest my case about their being no issues with the boxes, drive them properly and they dont break!!!

obviously the dci boxes arn't getting high RPM changes but they are getting much more torque through them on a daily basis even about town than a RS car is on the limit lol

But the point of a renaultsport is for it to be thrashed.

The gearboxes should withstand that no problems.

Gearboxes in Civic Type R's, BMW M3's, Focus St's.... They can all handle the car. Its just yet another area where Renault haven't developed something properly and just given it to the customer to test for them. Cnuts.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i agree there is other gearboxes that stand up better to abuse, but the thing is, these people are killing boxes through pure abuse, go and watch all the clio track day videos on youtube and find someone who is using heel and toe or atleast blipping on downshifts, none of them do it.

i drive my cars as they were designed to be driven every day and ive never had a gearbox issue other than when i was 17 and giving my car pure mechanical abuse! (because i was a clueless fud!)

Listerine & Poledo
If it was my money, a LY R27 with full bodt trimmings, maybe.

But it's not and, as others have said, give each a go, see what you think.

Twingo RS
i agree there is other gearboxes that stand up better to abuse, but the thing is, these people are killing boxes through pure abuse, go and watch all the clio track day videos on youtube and find someone who is using heel and toe or atleast blipping on downshifts, none of them do it.

i drive my cars as they were designed to be driven every day and ive never had a gearbox issue other than when i was 17 and giving my car pure mechanical abuse! (because i was a clueless fud!)

Agree 100%. I blip all the time, love the cool sound it makes. Gearbox feels solid as a rock, just changed the oil and let everything warm up nicely before giving it some. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OONBWKtWaw8

OP, Having driven all of them I would go for the 200 all day long: best chassis, best to drive, best resale and coolest :cool:

Having said that, an R26R in white with the red cage would be high up the list too.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
200 out of them. R26 isn't as lively on track but it is faster by around 3s at oulton. It is also easier to extract the performance.

I have done 20k in the 200 and the box is still great with no signs of trouble. It's only done 6 track days so easy life so far.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
find an r26, r27 and 200 near you and test drive them all

see which you like best then look for the one you like most in the top spec

r26- not certain on the specifics but im guessing xenons, climate control and full leather(?) recaros would be the options to look for

r27- make sure it has xenons with cornering lights (washer jets are the give away) and climate control

200- make sure its FF with all the options; projector lights, climate, recaros, cup chassis

if you get a clio make sure you take out a warrenty incase it s***s its gearbox

hope that helps

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Agree 100%. I blip all the time, love the cool sound it makes. Gearbox feels solid as a rock, just changed the oil and let everything
OP, Having driven all of them I would go for the 200 all day long: best chassis, best to drive, best kick in the wallet and coolest :cool:

its difficult to blip on the 197/200s due to the pedals (not sure if its on the 200 too but the 197 has a slight delay in throttle response too) so it takes a good whack to match the revs lol... it does sound awesome above 3k through the ktr pro performance though :eek:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
sorry the 172 and 197/200 box is not the same.

of course its not the same one of them has 5 gears one of them has 6, they are a physical different size, shape, one has linkage on the top one has it on the bottom!!

as i said above a DCi 80 uses a JC5 Clio 172 box a DCi100 uses a JR5 120 box as fitted to a Twingo RS133 and a MK3 DCi106 the same 6 speed box that the 197/200 uses

Twingo RS
its difficult to blip on the 197/200s due to the pedals (not sure if its on the 200 too but the 197 has a slight delay in throttle response too) so it takes a good whack to match the revs lol... it does sound awesome above 3k through the ktr pro performance though :eek:

Its a shame about the throttle response (I know you can fit a signal amplifier to eliminate this though). I suppose they set the peddles up so you can only flick your heel accross under VERY hard braking on the race track. I find 182 is the EASIEST car in the world to do heel and toe, really is childs play :D

Bet it does sound lovely with the KTR exhaust.

Agree that the 200 is pricey but they are ally and I personally like new shiny things. Do much prefer the wheels and rear diffuser on the R27 to the 200 though. So what i'm saying is the R27 looks better but the 200 is cooler, doesnt really make too much sense but there you are :p

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
the thing is i dont actually heel and toe... ive got quite big feet so i big toe and little toe haha :p

care to elaborate on the signal amplifier? ive heard of 'removing two springs from below the throttle to improve response' but im not sure if its bull or not.

my 1.4 was awesome for heel and toeing! but it was so stiff it chucked me out of my seat and made me slam on after hitting a bump ha!

the thing with the ktr exhaust is its quite quiet unless you give it some welly... i think it may need a decat /chav :p

i was more on about the depreciation of the 200 not the pirce tag :p and im the opposite there, i much prefer the 200 diffuser ha

Audi A5
Get a poll on the go.

Another couple of question to ask your self is

what's your budget?

Have you considerd a 250 ( epic car )

The thing is with the 200's is their free falling in deprecating atm but the 197/r26/1*2 have all pretty much reached their bottom value so why don't you buy one of them drive that for a year or so let the 200's loose a few more grand and then buy one...

Twingo RS
care to elaborate on the signal amplifier? ive heard of 'removing two springs from below the throttle to improve response' but im not sure if its bull or not.

You can buy them on ebay (or make them for about a fiver), surprised K-TECH dont market their own version. Its a little black plastic box containing a differential amplifier that connects between your throttle pedal and the ecu. Basically gives the same response as a throttle cable. Drove a beemer with one on once and it was magic. :cool:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You can buy them on ebay (or make them for about a fiver), surprised K-TECH dont market their own version. Its a little black plastic box containing a differential amplifier that connects between your throttle pedal and the ecu. Basically gives the same response as a throttle cable. Drove a beemer with one on once and it was magic. :cool:

Hmm, that sounds interesting. What's the crack with fitting? Is it a splice/solider job? Because I'm not wanting to hunt for wires in the engine bay/footwell lol.

Twingo RS
Hmm, that sounds interesting. What's the crack with fitting? Is it a splice/solider job? Because I'm not wanting to hunt for wires in the engine bay/footwell lol.

The off the shelf ones are just plug and play, complete with the Renault connectors. Not cheap though, over £150 for about a tenners worth of components.

Sorry for spamming the thread OP.

Last edited:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Personally, having driven various 200's with a view to buying one, i found no real difference to the 197 Cup that i ended up buying (for sale btw :eek:). Also £6.5k is considerably less than the £11k+ that you need for a 200 with Recaros!! Cant believe i even considered spending 20 grand on a clio lol.

R26 never really appealed to me due to boost/looks.

182 Trophy is better than the lot for ultimate driving fun, but the 197 is a better overall car imho.