ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

Hi Ian - An interesting thread, I look forward to reading more.

A bit off topic but just wanted to mention that I purchased some of your own grooved discs and pads (through scoobynet) and also a pair reconditioned brake calipers from you just over a year ago for my impreza and they were absolutely fantastic, hopefully i'll be back to purchase some discs for my 182 trophy when required.

ph1-172
i heard your car was with gary being wired, was tempted to pop in have a look around.

van looks really cool, whens the first outting in the clio?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
your free to pop in here anytime to have a nose , but there is not a lot to look at at the moment lol , there's no engine or box , no seats ect , it's looking a bit bare at the moment.
If I can get the car back off Gary this weekend , I might have it ready to do the Jersey rally in 5 weeks time

172, Tiguan
Moved to Clio projects, seems a bit more suitable for this section.

That van is awesome.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I have sorted the dash top out now , changed the digital dash cover over from left to right side , and cut holes for the heater vents , hopefully no more misting up in wet weather !
Got a got coming to collect it today to flock it , I will then put the ID plaque back on in the middle showing the build number

5a2bb09e.jpg

Took the dash over to the car today just to check it all fits and the vents don't get in the way of the cage or bulkhead , all fits fine , and the wiring is coming along nicely

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I have sorted the dash top out now , changed the digital dash cover over from left to right side , and cut holes for the heater vents , hopefully no more misting up in wet weather !
Got a got coming to collect it today to flock it , I will then put the ID plaque back on in the middle showing the build number

5a2bb09e.jpg

Took the dash over to the car today just to check it all fits and the vents don't get in the way of the cage or bulkhead , all fits fine , and the wiring is coming along nicely

What are you going to use to feed the new heater vents? the standard blower they come with is about as useful and a chocolate fire guard.

Also did you get my PM about the Reigers?

Golf GTD Mk7
Didnt realise you were converting it to RHD. What messing do you need to do with the drivetrain/steering etc? I presume the hole for the steering is still there?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
No its not its a rally car , and will be used on closed roads , which includes lanes , as I have driven RHD all my life , if I went out and drove flat out in a LHD car I would end up on my roof somewhere , I know where my ass needs to be in relation to the road , it also comes natural if I need to use the handbrake , all this would be unnatural if I was driving a LHD car and my stage times would be much slower.

Have you tried to drive a LHD car fast ?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
No issues with keeping it LHD technically speaking , just my preference wanting it RHD

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
fair enough Ian. Is it as simple as flip things round?

I wish !

No I had to cut holes in the bulkhead for the pedal box and steering column , had to measure and take templates from the RHD shell I had , mark up the race car bulkhead , double and treble check it all , then attack it with a nibbler ! , and then weld in the bracket to hold the top of the column.

All worked out fine though

Golf GTD Mk7
sweet. I thought most of the holes would have still been there. didn't think renault made two different shells. I assumed they had been lazy like when the made the 182 and just cut the spare wheel well out and welded a plate over the top.lol.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
sweet. I thought most of the holes would have still been there. didn't think renault made two different shells. I assumed they had been lazy like when the made the 182 and just cut the spare wheel well out and welded a plate over the top.lol.

On the bulkhead , you can see when its been pressed into shape , you can see where the holes should go as you can see some of the shape , just takes some perfect measuring , and guts to actually cut the holes the correct shape and size lol

182cup & 172 racecar
I'm with you on this Ian,I was just telling somebody yesterday that even though I've raced LHD cars,there is no way I could drive a rally car quickly in LHD.
I could see it not ending very well.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Ian i also agree with swapping it to RHD, even driving my E30 M3 after 4 years of owning it still feels weird but then it's only designed to be LHD due to weight balance as the fuel tank is on the RHS.

With the weight balance in mind is it also the same for the Clio cup racers though?

Awesome van and i'm loving the trl :), just out of curiosity what are you doing with the genuine cup racer Bilstein suspension?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
M3's are better RHD lol

DSC_2620.jpg

rallycarinterior007.jpg

rallycarinterior003.jpg

rallycarinterior011.jpg

DSC_2339.jpg

I built that up from scratch making it RHD , and it handles very well , would happily swap stage times with WRC impreza's and 6R4's , it was a 2.5 running some Prodrive DTM spec cams , pushing out 316hp through a Drenth 6 speed sequential gearbox , spent nearly £50k building that then realised it was too much money to have tied up in a car that could get wrecked and lose it all , so sold it. Awesome car.

The suspension is up in the attic in work , but plan on keeping incase I ever go onto the track , or If when I sell it I have the option of putting it back to a race car

Here is a video on a wet rally in Pembrey a few years ago in the M3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RouVQCoB8-o

Last edited:
  M3, Cup racer'd 182
I never drove a RHD E30 M3 so cant compare.

Awesome pics :) but 50k in a car that could easily be smashed up by a simple mistake is insane so good choice in selling it, love the engine pic especially with the carbon airbox i take it you was using the alpha-n management?. Was that a originally a 2.3 but been bored out and internals put in to make a 2.5? normally the 2.5 had the rocker cover in White with the m strips over.
I love the induction sound of these when fitted with a carbon airbox sounds mean as especially when there screaming there nads off lol.

I can't wait to start work on the m3 but dreading the cost lol.

Awesome vid as from what i can see on my iphone the car seams to handle pretty well :) but bloody hell some parts of the course is tight lol.

Last edited:
  Lotus Elise
Is that first M3 pic on the Isle of Man? Seem to recognise

With reference to driving LHD, our race is LHD (as are all FIA race cars) and I took to it after a few test session where it took my father a few months and he's not entirely happy with it still.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I bought an M3 road car as a donor , it was rough , but I had bought the shell with the welded in cage , so just needed some parts from the road car , it was a 2.3 , but I bought a brand new 2.5 block from BMW , and a 2.5 crank , and bought some steel rods and forged pistons , had the head ported , had some DTM vlaves , shims , valve springs and cams , also got some 2.5 48mm throttle bodies , carbon airbox , and a DTA pro 8 ecu , had a manifold and system custom made , the manifold had to clear the steering column , no LHD one would fit.

scanneditems092.jpg

scanneditems101.jpg

scanneditems395.jpg

scanneditems279.jpg

scanneditems285.jpg

scanneditems414.jpg

It had the best of everything , inc £8k worth of gearbox

scanneditems490.jpg

scanneditems509.jpg

The picture is not in the Isle Of Man , its on the ring stage of the West Cork rally in Ireland , a very famous bend , driving LHD is easy on a track compared to a one car lane flat out , at least on the track you have plenty of room either side of you , get a wheel off the road in the lanes and it drags you off

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Omfg some proper expensive kit there :), kudos for the amazing work you've done, if these pics was on s14.net you'd have people w**king over there computers infact i just had a moment then lol.

Where about's in wales are you? If i can i might come down (providing your not 100's of miles away lol) and have a chat to see what companies you'd suggest when i get round to stripping my M3 to a bare shell and rebuild it.

Would also be good to see the progress of the Clio and have a good look around it :).

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Just been looking through your threads on there didn't realise that the M3 was done back in 2005, you were lucky to have done it back then as the prices for the M3's have shot up stupidly now (I'm not complaining though it makes my car worth more money) :).
Not high jacking your thread but here's my car it has 60k and im the 1st uk owner although a few things have been changed now :D.
08cc8b62.jpg

2b953042.jpg

Bridgend bloody hell your only a hour down the road then,
I've heard about Moseley motorsport but wasn't told about them being so clued up so great news.

So back to clio's before we get told off from mod's and admin lol, great project and look forward to the updates :).