ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 271bhp Hyundai i30

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Is there definitive evidence for this?

I would have thought cutting two extra holes in the side of a metal box would have reduced the strength of it?

Just anecdotal evidence from the BMW club racing scene. People would opt for saloon shells over coupes because they're stiffer. Don't even know if it would apply to hatches where all doors tend to have frames though.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Just anecdotal evidence from the BMW club racing scene. People would opt for saloon shells over coupes because they're stiffer. Don't even know if it would apply to hatches where all doors tend to have frames though.

I recall this being said when I was suggesting the M4 was a better car than the M3...that the M3 was stiffer because while it does have apertures they're mostly full of heavier and stiffer stuff than the basic thinner skin of an M4 shell.

I recall this being said when I was suggesting the M4 was a better car than the M3...that the M3 was stiffer because while it does have apertures they're mostly full of heavier and stiffer stuff than the basic thinner skin of an M4 shell.

Interesting...

Thanks chaps, food for thought!

I presume BMW will have torsional stiffness measurements either from their CAD work or directly measured, but I'm sure us mere plebs won't see them unless they're a marketing 'key fact' lol

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Who the f**k leverages the additional stiffness of a 3 or 5 door over its counterpart on a road car?

I bet most wouldn't even notice doing trackdays, let alone on the A303.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
You should know by now that if someone has an opinion on the internet, yours is completley null and void.

Think of it as everyone having sky but that f**king dude getting erect over five door hot hatches in here being the only barer of a remote.

Slowly slowly going off Cs for the first time in a long time.
Everybody has their own opinions though or everybody would just buy the same car.
I think its nice there are separate versions of the same cars in 3-5 door guises.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Got to agree with @James172C that for me a 5 door car just isn't a hot hatch in it's truest form. Yes I understand they can be hot hatches... obviously. But they're just not for me, I'll hold on to the 3 doors for as long as I can! I've even got a kiddie now but we have the family car the missus drives so I get to keep my 3 door lol. A dying breed though indeed 😧

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've just had a test drive in a i30N fastback. It's a nice car and I prefer the back end ovebr the hatch. Comparing it to the megane trophy I drove a couple of weeks ago it's a bit slower and maybe a bit softer, even in N mode with the dampers on hardest. Goes well enough and handles well enough though. There's lots of settings to play with and it's very well equipped and has some features the megane doesn't, like adjustable dampers and rev matching on downshifts. Well worth a look if you're in the market for a new hot hatch.
There was a used hatch for sale at the dealer on a 67 plate at just shy of £23k. That's about £5k lost in 18 months. As they have a 5 year warrenty that's a good buy imo.
Just the type R left for me to drive now.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I am now as well. I really like the fastback shape too.
dsc_1118.jpg
batch_1617502_all-new_hyundai_i30_fastback_n_10.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Come in at around 28K i think and TBH i thought it would be a bit cheaper .
Compared to the megane it's a real bargain. Aparrently they are selling well and some are px'ing early hatches for the fastback. There should be a plenty to choose from on the used market in a few years.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
The fastback does look good in the rear shots. Reminds me of a C class or something. Think i would still have the hatch tho.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I think I prefer the hatch overall, but it's a car very high on my radar. Really want to try one. Like you say, pick one up with plenty of warranty left for low 20s and it's a very compelling package.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
They haven't lost as much as i thought they would. When they are like 15k it will be interesting

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Someone has one near me and I see (or hear) it most mornings. I think it's an I30 anyway. Black with a massive twin exhaust and the typical post 2010 turbo hoover/fart noises. Doesn't look that sporty in black and I don't even notice it 'til I hear it.
Like the blue though

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Black is the one to have if you want to hide a bit as the spoilers don't stand out. In normal mode the exhaust is pretty quiet, in sport or N mode it pops quite a bit, a lot more than the megane trophy did. I'd have a red one.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I believe the dealers are generally very good too which is now very high up on my list when choosing a car. Renault main dealers are f**king terrible and regardless of the franchise owner its all the same, so its Renaults fault.

They are like the little kids in your kids class at school that have scumbag parents, except the parents are Renault and the little kids are the dealers!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I believe the dealers are generally very good too which is now very high up on my list when choosing a car. Renault main dealers are f**king terrible and regardless of the franchise owner its all the same, so its Renaults fault.

They are like the little kids in your kids class at school that have scumbag parents, except the parents are Renault and the little kids are the dealers!
? Renault Wakefield were OK to be fair. He rang me as soon as the trophy arrived and I was the first person to test it. Iad already been and tested the 280.
The fastback was in the middle of the showroom and they had 3 hatchbacks outside but they moved 3 cars and got the fb out for me no problem, trade plates in and out we went. It only had 19 miles on it too.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
? Renault Wakefield were OK to be fair. He rang me as soon as the trophy arrived and I was the first person to test it. Iad already been and tested the 280.
The fastback was in the middle of the showroom and they had 3 hatchbacks outside but they moved 3 cars and got the fb out for me no problem, trade plates in and out we went. It only had 19 miles on it too.
to be fair to Renault, the dealers are generally very pleasant when your looking to spend £20k+ on a car, I got a free hot chocolate and then a few weeks after taking delivery asked to leave for telling the technician I was driving RS clios when he was still in his dads ballsack because I was accused of not being able to use an electric window switch correctly.

anyway back on topic, i30 N is a high contender for its replacement, hatch for me over the fast back though!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I managed to test drive one of these the other day. Had read various reviews online, had feedback from those that have driven them and was quite excited to get in and drive it.

I did like it, but can't say I loved it! Found it quite noisey when outside the car, but pretty subtle when driving. Found the ride pretty firm down the back roads and not very forgiving. Inside is a nice place to be, but very plastic imo and will be interesting to see if it stands the test of time. Seats were really comfortable.

Drove it in all the various settings and on various roads. Think I was probably expecting a bit more. My Mk3 Megane felt a lot more engaging and exciting to drive. It was fairly modified though and a bit more powerful.

I will have the oppurtunity to drive it again and may change my opinion after a bit more time bonding with it!!

Don't get me wrong, it is a good car. I was just expecting it to be a bit more special. At the end of the drive I felt a bit disappointed after all the reviews.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I think the only part of the interior I didn't like was the steering wheel. It felt huge and overly thick. That's probably because I've got a tiny one in my Clio though, but you're stuck with it in the N because of the huge amount of buttons on the bloody thing! I had more reservations about the Megane interior wearing with all the alcantara. I think if I was ordering this weekend I'd pick the hyundai.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I have been in the Mk4 Megane, but not driven it so can't really compare. The interior in my Mk3 Megane was also very plastic and not very durable. I did like the Recaros a lot though. I accept the Mk3 is older though and not for everyone. Especially if looking for a new car.

My boss has recently picked up a 140i shadow edition for the list price of a i30N. I personally would buy a Mk3 Megane Trophy as I just feel it's a much more involving drive and a bit more special. I am a bit bias though!!

I think I was just a bit disappointed. I will update once I have driven it a bit more.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I think the megane is probably a better drivers car, but I'm not a 10/10ths driver or track warrior so it'd probably be wasted. The 6k difference wouldn't go unnoticed though.
Yeah I also spotted the M140i for £30k. Shame they are so ugly?.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
So today I went to my local Hyundai dealer. Having driven the car at mill brook I was interested to see what the car was actually like on normal roads. The car was registered as a 19 plate however not sure if the new suspension improvements were on this particular car. it was just how I remember it, the noise however seemed to be a little bit less. It drove lovely the one problem I have is the suspension. It was so bloody firm. Even in normal which was the comfiest I could set it. If you have the odd bump it's ok, but if you go down a road that isn't perfectly smooth you are bouncing all over the place :( it's a shame because the car in my mind is almost perfect. I potentially might wait to try and test drive one that defo has the newer suspension. Hmm decisions to make!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
The fastback brought the new suspension to production so test one of those of you can @Rojer . Its funny, either my clio is firmer than I think or I'm a hard bastid because every review I see of the Meg Trophy says thats very firm but I though that and the i30N were fine. I can 100% guarantee the roads n Barnsley and Wakefield are s**t too:ROFLMAO:.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I think i will go and test a fastback at another dealer to see if the suspension is a bit more bearable. The thing is i set the suspension to Normal in N mode? However i forgot that there are actually other modes like Normal, Sport & ECO (outside of the N mode). How did you set the car up when you drove it @OssPoop Also in N mode i put the exhaust to it's sportiest setting but it didn't make that much noise? I can't remember if there is an actual physical button to make the exhaust noiser? Only got a couple of barks on the up change, at Millbrook the car was alot more vocal.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I dunno mate, it was just in the preset modes. I did drive it in full on N mode and it was a bit crashy on bumpy stuff but in normal it was ok. The exhaust was a bit quiet, but I've read they have muted it a bit in the fastback anyway. Revving it it N mode it did pop a fair bit though.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm, further investigation required i think. I think the Civic Type R's looks are a bit extreme for me. The Meg is just a bit meh, don't really like the screen inside. Things like Focus RS, A45 & RS3 don't interest me, mainly due to running costs and price to buy. I think the only other options is something like a Golf R/GTI or M1/2/35/40i

I did try to drive an Abarth 124, but they didn't have one ready. I sat in one and it was a bit claustrophobic and i couldn't move the steering wheel towards me. Plus the foot well is a very strange shape! Only other car i can think of atm would be a Z4 3.0 similar to @dann2707

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I like the new Meg, there's 2 different screens in them you know. 140i is a good shout but they ugly as f! I'd go GTI over R in the golf, again for looks mainly. But for the money the hyundai is a bargain compared to any of those brand new. Get an ex demo and save another £5k.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I like the new Meg, there's 2 different screens in them you know. 140i is a good shout but they ugly as f! I'd go GTI over R in the golf, again for looks mainly. But for the money the hyundai is a bargain compared to any of those brand new. Get an ex demo and save another £5k.

What do you mean regarding 2 screens? I don't mind the looks of the 140i, but i'm yet to drive one. I think i need to do a few more test drives over next week and see how it goes. Supposed to be picking up an S2000 tomorrow with my mate so i could be using that next week!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
The standard screen in the Meg is a small landscape type one, the larger portrait one like @Ricardos has is an option.
Definatly do plenty of test drives, you don't want to spunk that sort of money on the wrong car!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
The standard screen in the Meg is a small landscape type one, the larger portrait one like @Ricardos has is an option.
Definatly do plenty of test drives, you don't want to spunk that sort of money on the wrong car!
The bigger screen is indeed an optional extra

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm, further investigation required i think. I think the Civic Type R's looks are a bit extreme for me. The Meg is just a bit meh, don't really like the screen inside. Things like Focus RS, A45 & RS3 don't interest me, mainly due to running costs and price to buy. I think the only other options is something like a Golf R/GTI or M1/2/35/40i

I did try to drive an Abarth 124, but they didn't have one ready. I sat in one and it was a bit claustrophobic and i couldn't move the steering wheel towards me. Plus the foot well is a very strange shape! Only other car i can think of atm would be a Z4 3.0 similar to @dann2707
If you find yourself in the Midlands anytime soon please give me a shout and come for a drive in it