ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mso supercharged Clio mk2

GTiR 394bhp
Thats what I was aiming at, no restriction at lower rpm so full boost, more restriction at higher rpm thus controlling boost.I'm just theorising really as obviously this wouldn't be a practical application for a clio unless you were running drag radials to drive to work.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
thats what im saying it doesnt create a restriction at low rpm, its only at high rpm that it becomes one so no need to have a variable one that only cuts in at high revs.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I thought the power/torque would be very similar for the same amount of air being pumped in and fuel injected.The supercharger is going to lose some in being driven but the turbo loses some in higher inlet temps and back pressure caused by the turbine.
I can see why a turbo might feel quicker as you get a big hit as opposed to the linear nature of a supercharger though.

Can someone tell me different regarding turbo/supercharger torque for same boost though?Would be interested to hear the thoery behind it.

The basics of it are at a given boost pressure a SC set up will be flowing more air due to it not being restricted by a turbine wheel in the exhaust. However the more boost you try and produce with an SC the more you need to spin it and the more power it saps at the crank to do it.

Turbo wise it really depends what turbo you go for as they effect both power, torque air flow etc... I've used 3 so far my first (from ktec) made 267bhp @12 psi, my second made 341bhp @ 14.7 psi, my third pulled 374bhp @ 17.4 psi. Personally I think turbos are the best but I'm obviously biased, I'm building a new set up at the minute which is going to raise a few eyebrows when it's completed.....

MSO don't take things so personal mate, of course your going to get a bit of grief when you've spent the last year alternating between selling your car then keeping it, then selling it again then opting to spend even more on it. I think its great that your setting out to have a highly tuned clio but I don't think you should be knocking the DIY brigade. Mine was a DIY build and the first to pull a genuine 300+bhp and it's been super reliable, however like most people I've suffered gearbox problems and like most people I'm looking at ways to strengthen it. It's all a bit of trial and error fun at the end of the day :D

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
in the nicest way possible and without trying to start anything to major but the diy boys always push the boundaries and find the limits and thats why there are faliures, but if you look and see the diy boys are always putting out more than the "companies" stevieh is the perfect example with the first gen 300+, tuning cos were selling a kit that was said to do it but never actually cut the mustard? DIY and inginuity ftw, fair enough if you cant be arsed or dont have a clue to be able to weild a spanner yourself but i like playing with my car and doing most of the work myself.

GTiR 394bhp
thats what im saying it doesnt create a restriction at low rpm, its only at high rpm that it becomes one so no need to have a variable one that only cuts in at high revs.

I'll try and be clearer, I am thinking how nice it would be to have say for example 10psi from 2k rpm to the redline so the restrictor would be fully open at low rpm allowing the full 10 psi then as engine revs rise and boost would normally be increasing further, the butterfly/iris/whatevr starts to close keeping the boost at a constant 10 psi.Not really suitable for a fwd car ofc as it would spin the wheels up too easily.
Looking back at the clip I linked where the engine is making 1 bar at 2k rpm, he must have some sort of control on it as it would be ridiculpus at higer revs and there does seem to be a noise as if some air is being leaked off.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Does make me laugh that most people who throw money at there cars and don't actually do the work think the tuning companies are the be all and end all, I'd put money on there being more faulty/failed/blown up tuner built cars than diy

GTiR 394bhp
Turbo wise it really depends what turbo you go for as they effect both power, torque air flow etc... I've used 3 so far my first (from ktec) made 267bhp @12 psi, my second made 341bhp @ 14.7 psi, my third pulled 374bhp @ 17.4 psi. Personally I think turbos are the best but I'm obviously biased, I'm building a new set up at the minute which is going to raise a few eyebrows when it's completed.....

Brilliant figures at such low boost, what size turbo was that?I went in a 360bhp Ibiza once and that was ridiculous, so 100kg or so lighter with similar power must feel insane.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I see where your going bud yeah tho to make that boost at them revs I think you'd be overspeeding the sc by loads, tho there are many different types of blower, others might be suitable. Also pressure is restriction to flow so 10psi on that pulsar engine might actually be the same flow as 4psi on a Clio, lots to consider

PaulyA610

ClioSport Club Member
  Venturi,GTT van,
Mine has been super reliable but is only 240bhp but it can deffo take more, both bombers and adey's are doing ok. If I was getting a big power SC I would have no problem recommending RS tuning as it is a neat install which run's like a normal clio without lumpy idle and the TC still working, but it nice to see guys having a go with the home made conversions which have turned into animals!!!

mso

172 cup supercharged
CIMG0447.jpgCIMG0440.jpgCIMG0449.jpg

Soon to be kicking out between 330-350bhp!!!!!!!!

mso

172 cup supercharged
Should know what she makes on RR End of this week or on monday picking her up next Friday

Phase 2 172 Sport
About time. The proof is in the pudding some stat's and video's would be ideal. Great read though lads and some good bant's !! Ha ha ha

mso

172 cup supercharged
Had a good chat with Ktec today about my car, going to go for about 330bhp @1.2 bar not going for anymore power at the moment going to see how well the car drives with that sort of power and with the paddle clutch fitted there should be no problems with slipping etc. Maybe at a later date with a stronger clutch fitted it could make about 380bhp!!!!

SQ5
Had a good chat with Ktec today about my car, going to go for about 330bhp @1.2 bar not going for anymore power at the moment going to see how well the car drives with that sort of power and with the paddle clutch fitted there should be no problems with slipping etc. Maybe at a later date with a stronger clutch fitted it could make about 380bhp!!!!

I was getting 330bhp at 0.8 bar!

SQ5
Very nicely with no wheel spin.

Acceleration was immense.

You dont need to be running that much boost though!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Looking good from the little pics (cant open them because of cr*p internet)

I look forward to seeing some videos and more pictures :)

big boost cup
I brought a forged engine with a few other bits put on for good measure. So when do you get yours back from ktec

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of this mate, should be a lot faster and I love how the power delivery is so smooth on a supercharger, although a turbo thump always has its plus points.

I think the key thing is reliability and how it drives. I hope it is reliable after all the money, I'm sure you'll report back with a balance argument if there are any issues

mso

172 cup supercharged
So what did she make then?

There was a problem with the gripper diff,a part failed there quality control we get it back on Tuesday they knocked some money off as well for the inconvenience! From Tuesday onwards they are putting it all back together engines built so it shouldn't take long.I'm down that way next Saturday so I'm popping in to have a look at her, they need to map it and do there tests with it so 2 wks time I should get it back!!!!

mso

172 cup supercharged
Well the part that failed at gripper has now turned up and all fitted, Ktec got the diff late yesterday I popped down there today for a look at her engine is built roll cage fitted and the willwood brakes are fitted wheels are ready to go on and I got to get some new bucket seats sorted should be up and running end of the week and will know what's she is making!!!

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Fingers crossed all goes well, interested to know what it makes! Sounds like you have put alot off cash into this! Fair play.

mso

172 cup supercharged
Fingers crossed all goes well, interested to know what it makes! Sounds like you have put alot off cash into this! Fair play.

The car is going to be a fun weekend and track day toy for me I've owned the car for 2 years now, it's been a good little car with the money i put into it i think it will be hard to beat it for performance, handling etc, each to there own I suppose. I could have bought something else but then I'll have to start all over again tuning it!!!

mso

172 cup supercharged
All is going well with car engine in etc ready to fire her up this afternoon, I'm picking her up next week, running her in for 1000 miles then full power !!!!

GTiR 394bhp
I can't remember if you have gone forged engine or not and not reading through the thread again.

If you are, have a good read up on running new engines in as you only get 1 shot at it.