ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mounting seats

Clio 172
Hello all,

I'm completely new to this so my apologies if this has been repeated but can't find what I'm after, my brother and I have bought some omp seat mounts to go with our omp seats, however after fitting them my head almost touches the roof, I'm 6ft 3 so no sups it's there, I've seen posts on here where people have cut out the original rails and bolted the side mounts directly to the floor, this way you are furthe back than normal, can I get some advice on how to do this and any complications to worry about? Pictures would help or better ideas for tall long legged drivers like me :)

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Welcome to CS
I'm sure you know, but there are two rails running across the width of the car, under the front seats. If you cut these out, to enable the side mounts to rest on the floor, you can get the seat as low as possible. If you are mounting the side mounts to the floor however, I would strongly advise that you use some kind of plate on the underside of the car in order to stop the bolts holding the side mounts down from pulling through the floor in a crash. Another option is to mount the side mounts on top of the rails, using a piece of metal to bridge the gap between the rails, and then bolting the seat to the top, although this will bring the seat up a bit. This is how mine are mounted, and I find it perfect, although I'm only 5'11...
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/strugglers-back-ph1-172-project-bit-of-a-read.614966/page-2
That's not my thread btw, but it shows the process pretty well, about halfway down page 2.
Hope this helps, any questions, let me know.
On a slightly different topic, it's probably a good idea to become a member (£12 iirc). You get access to the buying and selling forum, which for me has already been worth its weight in gold. Also, you get access to the cliosport guides section, which has a lot of handy tips and things for many of the jobs you'll find yourself doing. There is also access to all the discount codes cliosport members can use in shops such as opies oils and others.

Clio 172
Welcome to CS
I'm sure you know, but there are two rails running across the width of the car, under the front seats. If you cut these out, to enable the side mounts to rest on the floor, you can get the seat as low as possible. If you are mounting the side mounts to the floor however, I would strongly advise that you use some kind of plate on the underside of the car in order to stop the bolts holding the side mounts down from pulling through the floor in a crash. Another option is to mount the side mounts on top of the rails, using a piece of metal to bridge the gap between the rails, and then bolting the seat to the top, although this will bring the seat up a bit. This is how mine are mounted, and I find it perfect, although I'm only 5'11...
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/strugglers-back-ph1-172-project-bit-of-a-read.614966/page-2
That's not my thread btw, but it shows the process pretty well, about halfway down page 2.
On a slightly different topic, it's probably a good idea to become a member (£12 iirc). You get access to the buying and selling forum, which for me has already been worth its weight in gold. Also, you get access to the cliosport guides section, which has a lot of handy tips and things for many of the jobs you'll find yourself doing. There is also access to all the discount codes cliosport members can use in shops such as opies oils and others.
Welcome to CS
thankyou matey just got to make sure I line them up correctly :) have got my membership now too!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hello all,

I'm completely new to this so my apologies if this has been repeated but can't find what I'm after, my brother and I have bought some omp seat mounts to go with our omp seats, however after fitting them my head almost touches the roof, I'm 6ft 3 so no sups it's there, I've seen posts on here where people have cut out the original rails and bolted the side mounts directly to the floor, this way you are furthe back than normal, can I get some advice on how to do this and any complications to worry about? Pictures would help or better ideas for tall long legged drivers like me :smile:
Hi mate, welcome to the forum! You've posted in the wrong section originally so I've moved the thread to the best section.
You'll get the maximum exposure and hopefully an answer to your question.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
I can supply my VBD Clio X-Low subframes to solve your height problem.

94F3B37A-6B08-4252-B645-1D5BE610DEE6_zpsau7owvjq.jpg

89DD6430-8563-4759-A058-B24CC2A15131_zpsyz5ngrsn.jpg

D0E04E1B-3195-45D8-9D3A-58C02C0D1181_zpsz8au3vy9.jpg

They are £130 for two collected from Merseyside or plus £16 posted to mainland UK.

BG 182
Hi mate whilst I didn't have the same issue with my head touching the roof being 5,9 I felt high up

I bought a set of frames of Jon ( the above post) and can not speak highly enough of the, no modifying no having to run spacers perfect for and you literally are on the floor