ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello! 1 car, 1 Clio

2003 Clio
Hello all,

Just bought a 2003 Clio mk2 - red, 5 door, 1.4 16v Petrol, 53k on the clock. Totally love her!

She's my one car and will be used for a lot of back country miles (some motorway too) for adventuring around the North of the UK. I live in the Scottish Borders, before this I had a 2011 Merc Vito van and a RE Himalayan, both gone for various reasons alas. I'm pretty handy so I'll be doing my own work and modding. Reliable and smooth are the priorities, then fun/fast and then style.

She's been garaged until my ownership and has the full service stack. Including belt/water pump replacement (although no clutch..). Overall excellent condition, there are the usual problems to tweak:
- recent leaking at the front of the sunroof. I'm going to lift it and replace the seal between the roof and the sunroof frame.
- Rear drive side door locking not working via electrics
- Anti roll bar bushes to replace, a doddle.

Things I'm thinking of starting with modding:
- Sound! Currently sounds a bit muddy/requires going loud to hear distinctly, probably going to start with soundproofing as found on the forum
- Lights! I like the high beams, the low's are a bit naff
- Cruising! I'm keen to add in the cruise control, such a stress free way to travel when you want to just.. cruise..
- Later! Better tyres, higher suspension (more of a rally build), revamped internals (seats, shifter etc.), some adjustable 'noise' so I can enjoy my inner menace but still drive it about the rest of the time (removable baffler?)

Ciao a tutti, Maurizio

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome!

That's a nice, low mileage for a 20+ year old car.

I'll sound like a broken record on here! But if you're handy doing your own work, I would strongly recommend swapping out your gearbox oil too. It was a night & day difference on mine when it got done at the 12k service, all those years ago.

Clio 3 1.2 Extreme
Hello and welcome. My 14 year old 1.2 base model has the same miles, and I thought that was low mileage, but 20 years old .... :D

I'll sound like a broken record on here! But if you're handy doing your own work, I would strongly recommend swapping out your gearbox oil too. It was a night & day difference on mine when it got done at the 12k service, all those years ago.

This has convinced me to change the gearbox oil this year - meant to do it last summer but never quite got round to it :)

2003 Clio
PXL_20240201_105000262.jpg

Thanks all! Yeah, it's completely pristine.. I've started getting it muddy 😁

Interesting to hear about the gearbox oil, I'll check the service history to make sure it hasn't been done.. and add it to the list!

Doesn't matter what age you get to, first thing my dad did was give me a Haynes manual for the car. Cherry on the cake that.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1679556

Thanks all! Yeah, it's completely pristine.. I've started getting it muddy 😁

Interesting to hear about the gearbox oil, I'll check the service history to make sure it hasn't been done.. and add it to the list!

Doesn't matter what age you get to, first thing my dad did was give me a Haynes manual for the car. Cherry on the cake that.

This was my gearbox after 165k when I had it refurbed. And that only happened really as one of the driveshafts went pop and damaged the gearbox in the process.

If you look after them (like most things) - they tend to last. :)