ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MSV/Caged bolt-in cage rear mounting bar question

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Evening all,

I’ve been trial fitting my newly acquired MSV/Caged bolt-in rear cage tonight and I’ve got a question regarding the fitting of the rear bar that goes between the rear seatbelt mount.

The cage came with 2 sets of spacers; 2 thick & 2 thin:-

IMG_2686.jpeg

From some CS research and trial on the car the, it appears the thick ones go on the front bar by the lower front seatbelt mounts, meaning the thins ones must go on the rear mounting bar. However, when the spacers are fitted to the rear mounting bar, there is still a massive gap (tried both thick & thin) between the end of the bar/spacer and the trim/captive thread in the body (photo below):-

IMG_2687.jpeg

IMG_2691.jpeg

This essentially means the the rear bar has nothing to bolt up against, since there is the gap between bar end and mount in the body and is then essentially held in place by nothing other than the tension of the bolts when they’re done up tight (still leaving a gap/exposed thread), rather than proper bolting/clamping force.

Surely this can’t be right, so questions for CS MSV/caged cage owners are:-

- have I missed something daft/obvious?

- what have you done to rectify the issue if you came across it during fitting?

- do I just go and get some thicker spacers/sleeves made to take up the space from the end of the bar to the threaded mount in the body?

As always, thanks in advance for any help.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Have to pack it out with washers or get new sleeves made up, the 2 I owned and fitted in the past were the exact same.

You need thicker spacers and I also used longer bolts too as the ones that came with it didn't fully reach the end of the mounting holes. I bet something like a deep socket would work as a spacer.

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
The larger one goes on the rear, its designed to go over the seatbelt clip, small one goes ontop of the seatbelt rail thingy.
279069060_1008407933150199_7612982594130542829_n.jpg
233282458_2150193395122500_5474825368096927240_n.jpg

221552712_847548172545518_7680033384836597403_n.jpg

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks for all the responses and @Anakin thanks for the photos, these are really useful and will be good reference for if I go back to running standard belts in the future - which I might do when my little one gets bigger.

For the moment, I think I’ll opt for getting new sleeves/spacers made for the rear, so I’ll size up what I need and that way it gives me flexibility to run both configurations.