ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 or Mk2 Clio Sport

A mate of mine is looking at getting a 172 in next few weeks.

Some advice he is unsure on whether to get a MK1 or Mk2. He is thinking on a mint Mk1 possibly in the red colour and spending remainder of money on choice parts. Obviously Mk2;s are similar in price but he would prefer a minter MK1 saving a few grand.

What would everyones choice be?

I say def the red Mk1 as long as minter and spend rest on performance bits, I am biased though!:D

Red Mk1 would be lovely not that many about as far as I know? I have only ever seen 1! I prefer the Mk2 rear and interior so its a difficult one but I would still go for a Mk2, thinking of moving to one myself.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

u can pick mk1s up sooo cheap now.i was in the same boat when i got mine.i could have had a 52/53 plate mk2 for the price i paid for mine but chose the mk1.u dont see as many of them around and they are lighter/quicker;).but then again,they are getting old now and look a bit "dated" in comparison to the mk2?! touch decision either way!

Quote: Originally posted by phoenixy on 04 June 2005
mk1 all the way much better looking, and cheaper

Agreed, Gareth, has your ITG arrived from K-tec yet?

My oppinion is def Mk1 Mk2s are newer but lets more around. They have dropped in price faster that then Mk1 did and will drop even more next year when Clio RS comes out.

As for interior I am bias but Mk1 is better, dont like silver inserts in Mk2 and hate big bit around clocks, also seats dont stand out as much. Only thing I like better is digital temp control which would be something I would never use and more to go wrong.

At least with MK1 if its a minter he aint gonna lose another 2 - 3 grand due to price drops which means money spent on car wouldnt be as bad.

And as stated Mk1s are lighter and faster!:D

I went for a Ph2 172 because when it comes down to it (i.e. looking through Autotrader, not here), theres not a massive price difference between the two given a budget of say £6-8k.

You will be told that the Ph1 is quicker, although I doubt its going to be an issue for most people because were probably talking about a second to the ton, if that.

The biggest things the Ph2 has in its favour is the extra spec and interior, which also seems to wear better (certainly seen a few Ph1s with the silver door close paint wearing thin).

Yeah fair point ben as stated am always going to be bias as for oppinion of cars. Thing is looking at trader seems that can pick a mint Mk1 up for 6 where as Mk2 minter would really need to be at least 1500 more for right miles etc. May aswell spend the extra on mods!

LY182/NHB CTR

I have to say that same as Ben H

in that when I looked back in November prices were around the same for both. I choice a MK2 simply because the car was newer the milage was lower and it was in mint condition.. but then i dont plan on re-selling for a very long time so I guess the resale value isnt an issue for me..

I really think you should go with what you think you like the best and what you think is good value at the time you rarely gain money on cars all the best

mk1 172

I went for the mk1, as i just prefered the look, also found it less common than the mk2, and it stood out more from the others in the mk if you get my meaning

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 05 June 2005
PHASE 2, prefer the look of the exterior (more aggressive)

Says Stevie Wonders love child.