ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wipers stopped working, burning smell. Clio mk2 2005 1.2 16v 5d

Clio MK2 16v 1.2 5d
Hello all,
My clio mk2 wipers randomly went this morning. Turnt car on, then turnt wipers on, they went up down and then stopped. Have done nothing since.
After this there was a horrid burning smell which everybody at work could also smell on me (wiper motor gone maybe?)
The fuse is 20A and has not blown
I can hear a switch going by the glovebox and I think I may or may not have heard the wipers try to do something earlier, driver side wiper will not move by hand but passenger side moves freely.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance 👍

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You won’t know anything until you remove the scuttle trim and take a look.
It will either be a seized linkeage or a burnt out motor. Both cheap and easy to fix.

Clio MK2 16v 1.2 5d
Also, my passenger side wiper always juddered/got stuck ever since I changed them both. I probably got the wrong size or put them in wrong but haven’t been arsed to change lol… would that maybe put stress on motor?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The linkage can detach in freezing weather, which it hasn't been yet. Had that myself and it's simple to reattach.

Regreasing the joints on the wiper mechanism does help considerably too. If you end up removing the wiper mechanism itself, which is easy to do once the wipers have been detached with a wiper pulling tool - make sure you realign it with the retaining lug at the rear of the bulkhead. If you don't, your wipers will make a right racket and not be sufficiently sweeping the screen.

I've had my mechanism out at least four times for various reasons before now. Given me a shout if you need anything further.

Clio MK2 16v 1.2 5d
Cheers for the help guys, managed to pick up a linkage and motor from the scrap boys, believe linkage was fine however motor definetley smelt burnt and didn’t want to move at all with power on it. So spare linkage now happy days.
Any ideas why it burnt out though? Only think I can think of was all the s**t that was on the live conductor terminations and everywhere under scuttle cover. Dry leaves and just general crap, all cleaned out now.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It could simply be due to age? After all, the car is likely to be as old as you! ;)

Glad you got it sorted though - you can't be without wipers at this time of year.