ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with front windscreen wipers (only work on full speed/setting & Dont park)

Hi, This is my first post on this forum.

I have been running a Renault Clio 1.2 16V Rip Curl 5Dr Petrol Hatchback (2008) for over a year now without issue, until today.

On my way to work I had my windscreen wipers on low/slow setting, then suddenly out of the blue they stopped in the middle of my windscreen.

I tried moving my stick down to try a faster setting and it didn’t work as well. The only way I can get my wipers to work is to set the on the fastest setting then they start moving quickly. (when the stick on the right is pushed all the way to the bottom)

But as soon as I move the stick up to the lower setting the wipers stop (sometimes in the middle of the screen) and do not park/return to their start position.

I've also noticed now that sometimes when I leave the wipers set on the lower setting they tend to jerk a few cm every few seconds as if they want to move?

I am unsure what is causing the problem.

If it was a blown fuse then I wouldn't think the wipers would move at the fastest setting.
If it was a broken motor again it wouldn't move
All I can think of is there’s something wrong with the wiper park sensor?
Or maybe a dodgy relay or connection on stick?

I have had a look in the fuse box that is on the right side of the battery (under bonnet) to see if water had got in but it was dry as a bone. As I was worried the electrics may have got wet due to the ridiculous
amount of rain we've had.

Has anyone had a similar problem. Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 2003
Hi, This is my first post on this forum.

I have been running a Renault Clio 1.2 16V Rip Curl 5Dr Petrol Hatchback (2008) for over a year now without issue, until today.

On my way to work I had my windscreen wipers on low/slow setting, then suddenly out of the blue they stopped in the middle of my windscreen.

I tried moving my stick down to try a faster setting and it didn’t work as well. The only way I can get my wipers to work is to set the on the fastest setting then they start moving quickly. (when the stick on the right is pushed all the way to the bottom)

But as soon as I move the stick up to the lower setting the wipers stop (sometimes in the middle of the screen) and do not park/return to their start position.

I've also noticed now that sometimes when I leave the wipers set on the lower setting they tend to jerk a few cm every few seconds as if they want to move?

I am unsure what is causing the problem.

If it was a blown fuse then I wouldn't think the wipers would move at the fastest setting.
If it was a broken motor again it wouldn't move
All I can think of is there’s something wrong with the wiper park sensor?
Or maybe a dodgy relay or connection on stick?

I have had a look in the fuse box that is on the right side of the battery (under bonnet) to see if water had got in but it was dry as a bone. As I was worried the electrics may have got wet due to the ridiculous
amount of rain we've had.

Has anyone had a similar problem. Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated! :)
Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem? I have the same issue. Thanks in advance.

Clio 3 1.2 Extreme
The OP has been seen since 2014, so I doubt you'll get a reply from them. I would start a new thread describing your problem.

Stalks can be the cause, or if there are general electrical problems, then possibly water ingress is an issue.