ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK3 dCi 106 Initiale TomTom FAP 2011 - Worth keeping?

Ray_

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK3 dCi 106
Hi all,

I currently own a the 106 version of the Renault Clio MK3 dCi. It's a 2011 and the trim is Initiale TomTom Fap. I can't find any other cars that match my Clio and am wondering if it's particularly rare? It's also nigh on impossible to get parts in the same colour (TEKNG).

It was in an accident, nothing serious but of course was written off due to low value. It's still on the drive and I still own it. I'm extremely fond of the car, and quite heartbroken. Do any of you know whether the car is rare or worth more than average? I'm weighing up my options to decide whether I should keep it. I've been test driving other cars, and they're all disappointing compared to the Clio.

Any advice is appreciated :(

Ray_

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK3 dCi 106
If you like the car, keep it.

But if you’re thinking about keeping it because it will suddenly be worth a load of money or it’s super rare, just let it go.

A rational answer and probably the correct one. I do love the car, but it's a Clio so it's constantly falling apart and failing MOTs. There is damage to fix from the accident, even if it's not much. Plus, it's a 100k-mile diesel, which isn't the best car to own in 2023. I can't find anyone selling the same model, so I'll have to settle for something else.

I loved the heavy steering and clutch, plus there were almost no blind spots. Newer cars seem to be built out of A-pillars, have extremely vague clutches and don't fit people who lack height. The Clio was really nippy for a 100hp car and the turbo was wicked. It's hard finding one that fits the bill, and the cool Clios are outside my budget (and lack of garage) at this point in my life.

Maybe you, or others, have suggestions on cars that have a similar feeling?

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Sounds like your adamant on keeping it.

What damage is there?

Appears to be a few panels on eBay. Could also just get ones of a different colour and get them painted obviously.

IMG_9432.png

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
There also appears to be a few for sale on autotrader if you wanted to buy a replacement.

1.5 dci here with leather seats

Or a 1.5 dci GT

Ray_

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK3 dCi 106
Sounds like your adamant on keeping it.

What damage is there?

Appears to be a few panels on eBay. Could also just get ones of a different colour and get them painted obviously.

View attachment 1669529

The damage is a banged-up bumper that needs replacing but can wait. A busted headlamp which I got a replacement for for £35, though I haven't fitted due to some back and forth with insurance. The last is the metal bumper reinforcement bar. It has stress fractures; seems to be about £50. The cost of repair isn't very high (if you exclude the bumper), but there are other things wrong with it.

The subframe (I think it's called) is rusting and I stuck my finger through it, not great. Some of the suspension has been replaced but the Clio has terrible rep when it comes to suspension failures. The "radiator support frame" (or something) also is rusty and got an advisory. I fix the car myself, so costs aren't terrible, but I'm limited by having a driveway that is sloped. Jacking up the car isn't possible. It also leaks in the boot and a few other things too😭. Honestly, when you look at it like that, why would you own it? But also, I love the dumb thing to bits and she's my first car. I'm less afraid about scrapping it and finding out it was valuable due to rarity, and more scared that if I ever regretted getting rid of it, I wouldn't be able to find another. One of the cars you linked does pretty much fit the description. The model is also a 5-door version, but not with roof rails. I like the utility of the car, so a 3 door or small boot doesn't cut it. I definitely use the poor thing like the French intended.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Let the insurance give you a valuation and go from there.

Everyone has that attachment to their first car, but it’ll soon pass when you’re in it’s replacement.

Ray_

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK3 dCi 106
Let the insurance give you a valuation and go from there.

Everyone has that attachment to their first car, but it’ll soon pass when you’re in it’s replacement.
They valued it at about 2.5k which is honestly a good price for a car in that nick with that many miles. I also think I'll feel after finding a car I like, I'm just worried I won't like driving it as much. I like driving as a hobby, which I'm sure you guys appreciate. I also like working on them, though I wouldn't mind a car that didn't require work for a bit. Breaking up with your first is always hard :cry:;)

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'm fairly certain it's not going to be worth much for a long time.
As for now, as well as the accident damage it's got a hole in the subframe, rusted radiator support and both of those are hard jobs to do on the drive. The downside of unusual colours is that getting cheap spares is much harder.
I'd take a good look at the offer from the insurance. Make sure it could buy you an eqivalent age/spec model, and if not send the insurance company a couple of close match adverts and see if they'll bump the offer up a touch.
Then enjoy shopping for another.

Ray_

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK3 dCi 106
I'm fairly certain it's not going to be worth much for a long time.
As for now, as well as the accident damage it's got a hole in the subframe, rusted radiator support and both of those are hard jobs to do on the drive. The downside of unusual colours is that getting cheap spares is much harder.
I'd take a good look at the offer from the insurance. Make sure it could buy you an eqivalent age/spec model, and if not send the insurance company a couple of close match adverts and see if they'll bump the offer up a touch.
Then enjoy shopping for another.

I think for me, it's less about whether it'd be worth anything and more about whether I'd ever find one again if I got rid of it.

I decided to keep the car, a lot of the reason being I couldn't find anything I liked at all. The other big reason is financial. I haven't got enough years of no claims to insure them, and having an at-fault accident against your name with 0 years ncd under 25 years old is a terrible place to be. The other party didn't claim. I got the lowest quote of 1.5k w/ black box (god no) on a reasonable car, and 3.3k from direct line. Eye-watering. The price of cars is dear too. Buying a car without having a car to get there is horrid and I already got messed about by car dealerships.

I ended up taking the Clio to the Renault Dealer for a health check-up. It's actually in great health. I was told the rust was in the subframe by a different garage, but it was actually only the radiator support bracket. I did that job for £60 on the drive, no jacking required.

IMG_5342.jpg

Got some nice new tools too. The bumper is salvageable luckily, mostly just scuffs and it was pushed out of place. It is a little bent at the top, but I think that'll go back into place when the headlight isn't pushing it out of place. New headlight is on the way. Annoyingly, I couldn't find a second hand one so I'll have to polish up the other side to match haha.

The lower arm ball joint is toast, the other side was done last year. That'll be an okay job, but just terrible timing on this baltic weather. I'll replace the whole arm because it's not much more expensive and I will never get the ball joint out of the old arm.

Most of the other things wrong with it are maintenance, a bulb, front wipers, service etc.

I'm glad to have kept it.