ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Re: Mk1 F4R'd Track Car Project [2010 Winter Rebuild]

jord that is proper gutting you been in touch with original seller yet

Lionel Richie

did you not measure it first? though to be fair if its sold as "mint" etc you assume it is, assumption - the mother of all f**k ups! :(

R5 GTT EFI Clio.

did you not measure it first? though to be fair if its sold as "mint" etc you assume it is, assumption - the mother of all f**k ups! :(

Aint this off Snatch or Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels? ;)

jord that is proper gutting you been in touch with original seller yet

I got it off Evogone, looked fine and he thought it was. I trust him but its just one of those things, all the time and effort wasted!

Yeah, was told it was fine and came off a Cupcar, got it from Evogone as said above...weather he knew or not is another thing, I trust him though so who knows! Just one of them things I guess meh!

Lionel Richie

off a cup car - ie car's been in a smack or 6 before (the pink one didn't have an original panel left on it LOL!)

hard luck mate, more welding needed! although there's no need to seam weld the f**k out of it like you had done

Yeah I guessed as much, probably been head on into a tyre wall.

Only welded it all rather than just bits to get more practice lol.

It didnt smell nor did I have a headache, so im guessing it aint galvanised lol...

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184

i didn't think they galvanised, especially when you look at the radiator panel on most there rusted to f**k

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

Excellent project - I really enjoy all your updates.
Sorry about the problems you've encountered though.

Would you consider doing a batch of the solid mount?
Thats an excellent idea!

Michael

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

did it come off his cup car of the white cup car that was broken on ebay a few months ago - that was really bent. even the cage

Why would someone sell a subframe off a car that they still use?

Seems an obvious question that no on has asked. For example i wont sell the subframe off my car as it holds the engine on. What made this person decide to sell it? I assume so he could fit another one. But why would he want to do that?

Seems an obvious question that no on has asked. For example i wont sell the subframe off my car as it holds the engine on. What made this person decide to sell it? I assume so he could fit another one. But why would he want to do that?

Because he bought another, had someone seam weld it, then powdercoated and fitted it back onto his pink rally car....

Excellent project - I really enjoy all your updates.
Sorry about the problems you've encountered though.

Would you consider doing a batch of the solid mount?
Thats an excellent idea!

Michael

Possibly, had a few others message me on C16V. Im going to probably wait until mine is running again and Ive tested its not damaged anything, then it would not take long to make some up...

did it come off his cup car of the white cup car that was broken on ebay a few months ago - that was really bent. even the cage

I guess it must have, didnt know he had/did have another.

Oh and cheers for the other one tonight!

Mk1 F4R

Jords new beast of a runabout
Fiesta zetec-se 1.25

IMG_3808.jpg

Awesome little car

Last edited:
  williams and trophy

the engine mounts hold my engine in, not the subframe. is this a consequence of the massive shunt its had at the front??? assuming this is no.0002 were talkin about.

the engine mounts hold my engine in, not the subframe. is this a consequence of the massive shunt its had at the front??? assuming this is no.0002 were talkin about.

No, it is because my engine mounts to my subframe.

Last edited:

Because he bought another, had someone seam weld it, then powdercoated and fitted it back onto his pink rally car....

So the subframe doesnt fit you car, but if you are correct (and we give evogone the benefit of the doubt) then it must have fit his car, if it came off it.

So that would suggest that the front of his car is shaped to take this bent subframe.

So the obvious question from that is:

How did he mange to fit a new subframe to his car if the front is bent to take a bent subframe?

Smells fishy to me.

In reality, if the bent one doesnt fit your car, a straight one shouldnt fit his.

It looks more likely to me, that he bought a subframe to seam weld, it was bent and didnt fit, and so he sold it on.

I dont know which cup car it came with, he just said it was on one that he had. The pink one or the white one northy is on about... If its the white one that was in a smash it has more than likely bent then, considering the rollcage was bent too. I didnt know about this white one at the time so wouldnt have known, Im going to speak to him and try to find out anyway...

TrackCar & F30 330d

Oh dear, all that effort for nothing.

Might be a silly question but can you not get the subframe jigged/bent back into position? Or is it just a case of cuting, welding and tarting up the subframe you allready have?

Picked up another (straight) subframe off Northy last night!

It could be jigged, I know someone with stuff that can probably do it but it would never be right, and the car would never align properly again after it being bent that much and attempted to put right...

Im keeping the unmodified subframe as it is for a spare as its powdercoated and good to keep...just been re-doing the radiator mount on the one from Northy earlier. Once ive done what I want to it il fire it off for powdercoating with a load of other stuff I was meant to get done...

TrackCar & F30 330d

Oh right, suppose that makes sense. I supose its allways easier doing stuff second time round, not fun, but easier.

Ooooo new powder coated stuff, I like :)

ValverInBits

Wow, thats annoying!
Well done for getting a fresh subframe though, it's definitely the right choice.

The subframes are galvanised. You can get round it by giving them a bloody good surface grind before you start , but if you start hitting galv anywhere it makes for a terrible weld. I spent quite a long time preping mine before weld. Interesting idea on the seam welding of the subframe. You considering a stitch of the front end of the car anytime?
I've still got to remove a tiny bit more material from my subframe on the N/S! :(

Wow, thats annoying!
Well done for getting a fresh subframe though, it's definitely the right choice.

The subframes are galvanised. You can get round it by giving them a bloody good surface grind before you start , but if you start hitting galv anywhere it makes for a terrible weld.

It seemed to weld OK, I ground quite a bit off every joint where it was going to be welded...didnt get any funny reacting or blobby welds really...

I spent quite a long time preping mine before weld. Interesting idea on the seam welding of the subframe. You considering a stitch of the front end of the car anytime?
I've still got to remove a tiny bit more material from my subframe on the N/S! :(

Doh! And seam welding the shell, not sure if I can be bothered considering everything is covered in a few coats of hammerite and I dont want to go to the effort of grinding parts off lol!

In the middle of putting the cage through to the struts after today, so will be interesting to see what difference that makes once its driving again...

Been putting this job off for some time now - cutting the holes for the cage to pass through to the struts. A grinder and 70mm holesaw later...

1_IMG_9449.jpg

1_IMG_9444.jpg

1_IMG_9443.jpg

Cage bar in place, not profiled at either end yet but you get the idea...

1_IMG_9438.jpg

1_IMG_9436.jpg

Diagonal will go from where the bottom door bar joins the A pillar of the cage, upto the strut bar though the other hole :) Will probably get them profiled and tacked in place tomorrow!

More soon.

Mostly, I dont really like welding to the shell because its about 0.1mm thick french tin, so a mate usually does it with his bigger/better welder. But anything else I will give a go yeah.

A4 130

Nice, next time your at NWP ill have to pop up an take a look!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

WOW lots of dicussion...!!!

This subfrmae was off a cup car that was broken up and i believe it was the white one referenced above. I bought a job lot of everything that was left from the shell (sold septerately).

It was never fitted to the pink car and was a spare (this has a fully seam welded Williams one) which by the way fits spot on, all the holes in the right place :) (It did have a bent wishbone when Fred had it and i bought it, but all the front end components are all Brand new Renault now)

F0xy has never contacted me about the subframe and the issues and was sold to him in good faith as it was to me, i would have offered his money back for it (im not hard up). I have only found out about this by accident going through the forum so just though i would clear any confusion up.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

I dont know which cup car it came with, he just said it was on one that he had. The pink one or the white one northy is on about... If its the white one that was in a smash it has more than likely bent then, considering the rollcage was bent too. I didnt know about this white one at the time so wouldnt have known, Im going to speak to him and try to find out anyway...

Should have just dropped me a PM...

I was going to give you a call, but for the sake of what the subframe was worth I wasnt too bothered, thats why I didnt PM/call. Dont worry about it :) If the offer of the money back is still there thats cool, but if not no worries!

Just one of those things, only a bit of wasted time

172 Cup

Carnt be more fair then that. Seems pretty genuine. Hopefully the new one will woek out mate.

IMG_9451.jpg

Au Revoir 172 ECU and one of the original 172-to-Mk1 Engine Looms! :)

Hopefully will make the conversion easy to do for the buyer and carry on running for quite some time to come! :approve:

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi

Whats happening hear jord? You gettin the gen90 ecu or somethin?