ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maynard's 172 Track Car Project

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Ah good good, looked through the instructions in the box and looks pretty straight forward.
Passenger side window has packed up too, so polycarbs have jumped up the priority list.
When are you fitting yours Neil?

mine won't be fitted until the car is panited mate, so a little while off yet.
i can highly recommend Tony at ACW motorsport plastics, as can a few others on here now, top bloke and we get discount

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Yes that one!

No it doesn't do the V6 model that particular bar unfortunately :(

mine won't be fitted until the car is panited mate, so a little while off yet.
i can highly recommend Tony at ACW motorsport plastics, as can a few others on here now, top bloke and we get discount

Ah right fair does, yeah I noticed the thread you made about them - can't believe the price of them!

Might have to get them ordered sooner then I originally planned!

I must have somehow missed this thread, car looks great :)

Thanks mate :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Finally got around to fitting the Whiteline ARB I've had sat here for ages today.

Had a bit of an issue with getting the one rear shock to line back up properly, and also with putting the u bolt clamps, bloody awkard things!

All in all an easy job really.

SDC11000.jpg

SDC10004.jpg

SDC11002.jpg

SDC11001.jpg

What an epic drive home that was!

Went for a spin around the roundabouts by mine and it feels 10x quicker into the corners and the holding around the roundabout is unreal - i got a bit too much tyre squeal too :eek:

Time to get some trackdays booked I think :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Fitted my Cup washer blanks yesterday:

SDC10110.jpg

SDC10111.jpg

Really smartens the front end up, worth paying all that money :eek:

172 cup, Impreza P1
Looks a good set up. Looking forward to getting mine.

Love the exhaust too, that's next on my list. ;)

Ollie's Silver Cup
Liking the black washer blanks! :)

check out the welding on the bracket, proper bo

At the time when I bought my exhaust, I don't think the yozza's wern't readily available.

I went with a k-tec stealth, but am regretting it now to be honest; it'll be changed for a yoz race at some point I imagine.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Try and find some who works at Renault and use there staff discount, I ended getting them for about 35 quid less then retail.

Golf GTD Mk7
Looks good. What's the retail on those? Is it not a legal thing when running xenons to keep the washers?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Looks good. What's the retail on those? Is it not a legal thing when running xenons to keep the washers?

About 95 quid + vat when I bought them, bloody scandalous.

No apparently not. They are a legal requirement at point of manufacture, but not part of the MOT checks.

Lotus Elise
I must say, I really like this car, nicely modded in the right areas to really show off how good the standard chassis is.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Finished off the roof glue today, pain in the arse of a job but looks so much better now it's finished.

Brake cleaner is the stuff you want to use for doing this job, I used one rattle can of the stuff.

All ready for painting when I decide to do it.

SDC10112.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
These turned up today courtest of andywiddss1 :)

SDC10132.jpg

I'll fit them when I put some new rear discs and pads on in a few weeks.

Might have to get another set, I'm not sure that's going to be enough!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Had these turn up today:

SDC10134.jpg

They're the replica cup racer handle spacers that M4D M4X has been making.

Just need to work out how to get the handle to sit in the spacer correctly now!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Just fitted the spacers. Took about an hour or so to file out enough on both spacers to make the handles sit flush. I knew I was going to have to do that anyways.

Before:

SDC10135.jpg

After:

SDC10137.jpg

SDC10136.jpg

Much better!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Little update....I've fallen out of love with the car a little bit last few months, partly because of this:

SDC10053.jpg

For some reason it seems the window switch got stuck and burnt itself out and as you can see from the photo it started to go up the loom...oops :eek:

I've had these turn up recently too, they will go on soon when the car has some major work doing to it. Powerflex Wishbone/Anti Roll bar bush kits:

SDC10052.jpg

Today.... I had a go at the headlight's as they have needed a good going over for quite a while.

Had a go at this using 1200/1500 wet and dry, Scratch X and SRP. All by hand too.

Results aren't perfect but a lot better then they was before. Will need another going over I think.

Before:

SDC10046.jpg

SDC10045.jpg

During:

SDC10047.jpg

After:

SDC10049.jpg

SDC10048.jpg

I'm just about to order some more goodies too :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Cheers mate, get them spacers fitted!

Make sure you file down the inside's though as you won't be able to get the handle through them.

On the headlights...did you get all of the stains off? I was thinking trying the next harder grade up to see if that was any better?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate, get them spacers fitted!

Make sure you file down the inside's though as you won't be able to get the handle through them.

On the headlights...did you get all of the stains off? I was thinking trying the next harder grade up to see if that was any better?

Pretty much. They need going over again now though :(

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Have a look at page 14/15, it's completley bare now. Even got rid of the CF door cards too.

I can get some more pictures if you need some? Anything specific?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Cheers Russ :)

The roof was the hardest part to sort out, hours and hours of scraping and scrubbing at getting that glue off!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Top tip for the roof glue, is brake cleaner in an aerosol can and a stanley blade. Just hold the blade with your fingers and push at the glue - dont use it whilst in the knife though!