ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maynard's 172 Track Car Project

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Hi everyone, have done enough to the car and got a bit of direction going with it now to warrant putting up a project thread!

I bought my Ph2 172 52 plate last May. It was on 39k miles - now sits at 44k - and was completly standard bar an ITG panel filter. As soon as I had it I changed the front wipers to some Bosch Aero style ones.

SL370182.jpg

SL370191.jpg

SL370571.jpg

In the August, change was needed. Bought some turinis off Andrew 172 Cup off here. Had them refurbed and resprayed at Laptab, Birmingham. Same month bought and got fitted some Eibach Sportlines -30 mm and some clear side repeaters from Ktec.

SL370579.jpg

SL370583.jpg

SL370580.jpg

In the November, ordered and fitted with a mate a Ktec CF splitter. This is the only real pic I've got of it. Also, my exhaust developed a real throaty sound and on closer inspection we noticed the centre section had an a huge split in it. So ordered a Ktec Stealth system as it worked out cheaper then a standard Renault system. Also had some Brembo Max discs fitted as Mot was due and wouldn't have passed otherwise. All in all an expensive month!

SL370029.jpg

Over the winter not much happened as boughy my first place with my girlfriend had much expense to go on that! As it looked over the winter.

SL370023-1.jpg

SL370025.jpg

SL370030.jpg

Then over the last couple of months had been doing a lot of research on some buckets seats as i want to do a few track days. Decided to order them from Demon Tweeks as they offered the best discount! Only took one week from time of order to delivery for them to come - speak to John Harris @ Tweeks, top guy!

Thanks to f0xy and ben_p off here for the help advice on the seats :D

Specs on the seats are:

Cobra Imola Pro Std width in black
Cobra Steel Sidemounts
Cobra X-Low subframes
Sabelt 3 Point Clip In harnesses in black

SL370076.jpg

SL370087.jpg

SL370093.jpg

SL370080.jpg

SL370081.jpg

SL370085.jpg

SL370086.jpg

SL370083.jpg

SL370084.jpg

SL370105.jpg

Here's some pics of the resistors and where I put them. I used 3.3 ohm ones bought from Maplin's at a huge 12p each! Not the clearest pics but if you follow edde's guide you can't go to far wrong.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109205&highlight=airbag

SL370101.jpg

SL370102.jpg

SL370103.jpg

Only thing about the x-low frames is that you have to cut the inner sill to accomodate the outer lug which Cobra assured me they had changed - but they hadn't :(

SL370111.jpg

SL370112.jpg

SL370079.jpg

SL370077.jpg

SL370110.jpg

SL370109.jpg

SL370107.jpg

SL370108.jpg

SL370115.jpg

SL370114.jpg

SL370113.jpg

SL370106.jpg

Just need to change my driving style as I can't believe how low and further away from the steering wheel the seat postion is, feels brilliant though! Now looking forward to doing my first track day hopefully at Bedford next month. C&C welcome :)

rps13
you have faaarrrrr too much interior left in.

get that ridiculous carpet out, those silly door cards and that sound deadening.

seats and sabelts look awesome though, perfect set up.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
looking good m8y. Any future plans for it?

hopefully coilovers soon, just got to let the bank balance get back up from £0! have no idea on which ones to get etc so a bit of research needed on them me thinks. then a bit more strippage and a long way off some bhp mods. not too fussed about that side of things for now anyways.

Very nice. How much did you pay for the seats and all mounts?

all in delivered was just over £800 :nono: for two of everything.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i'd love that exact setup, but i just justify spending that - will have 2 look for some cheaper ones 2nd hand ones :(

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
well i did the same hand have been looking for 3 months for a second hand set, only found one set worthy of me buying them and they sold!

not my set up no. mine are fixed for one position. cobra do provide you with the runners with the x-low frame but i think you have to buy the adaption plates to allow it to work all together and move back and forth.

Focus RS Mk1
looking good. i prefer the suzuka's over the imola's more lateral support. better for track work imo.

the suzuka's are pretty much the evolutions but without the head restraints, which ive had in the past and i didnt benefit from them at all.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
update - got given a boot net today from a mate at work hope to get it fitted soon just need to order some bolts from renault.

future plans:

cheap 172 15'' track wheels or 2118's if i can stretch to them.
coilovers - please recommend me some!

not sure of what else just yet, some suggestions?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Looking well, What dials have you put in? Look like non sports from the max reading of 140mph & white needles?

Seats look smart :cool:

Keep up the good work!

James

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Talking of bolts. did Cobra send you any to attach the frame to the floor?

errr.. no didnt expect them to either. ben_p sent me some bolts to fix the frames to the car and i bought the same ones to attach the side mounts the subframes.

they ones i used are m8 12.9 grade high tensile strength bolts. 50mm in length with a collar on them. did you get your mot issue sorted?

Looking well, What dials have you put in? Look like non sports from the max reading of 140mph & white needles?

Seats look smart :cool:

Keep up the good work!

James

i bought the car like with the dials like that, i thought they were all like that on my model?!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Check your previous MOT's mate, you may well not have a car thats got 44k, heres a pic of standard MK2 PH2 172

DSC00450.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yeah ive checked them, all mot's seem to match up. you've put the frighteners on me now.

errr.. no didnt expect them to either. ben_p sent me some bolts to fix the frames to the car and i bought the same ones to attach the side mounts the subframes.

Not yet, Im trying to get hold of some bolts for the subframe to be attached to the car. It's proving difficuilt! I need the m8 high tensile ones like you have. Orderd some off ebay but they are only threaded half way. so no good.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Sorry dude, Is important though for keeping track of cambelt/aux changing, last thing you want is that going because you "thought" it was good for another 20k, could be just that the standards failed though :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

Not yet, Im trying to get hold of some bolts for the subframe to be attached to the car. It's proving difficuilt! I need the m8 high tensile ones like you have. Orderd some off ebay but they are only threaded half way. so no good.

you need a good bolt place, or try a local engineering shop. they should be able to help as long as you ask for what i described above.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Sorry dude, Is important though for keeping track of cambelt/aux changing, last thing you want is that going because you "thought" it was good for another 20k, could be just that the standards failed though :)

well i've just checked all past mot's matching them from my receipts from before i bought the car to the mot vosa database online. all seems ok.

also have invoices for past work including the cambelt/aux change too. so everything seems ok there too.

apparently my car maybe an import so that maybe why the clocks are different, possibly but im happy all my details seem ok.

M

mini-valver

I spotted that from the first picture. Renault parts bin comes to the rescue.

Seats look fantastic fella :D

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I spotted that from the first picture. Renault parts bin comes to the rescue.

Seats look fantastic fella :D

only thing i can put it down too, never mind eh!

cheers mate i love them. just so comfy, cannot wait to do a trackday now. hopefully gonna book up for the 19th next month at bedford - renaultsport day.

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
Dont worry about the dails matey the car is an import and came like that adds weight anyway ;) lol, certain looking very different now from when i had it, lol, from a car that never really got thrash to a stripped out racer, lol

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Dont worry about the dails matey the car is an import and came like that adds weight anyway ;) lol, certain looking very different now from when i had it, lol, from a car that never really got thrash to a stripped out racer, lol

yeah its changed a bit, and spent a fair bit on it since then! trying to do it tastefully though try and keep it looking as nice as possible but in a track sort of way!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Whereabouts are you in Birmingham fella? I'm in Harborne (close to a few others on here). Come to the Cat and Fiddle run on sunday morning.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
im from coleshill, 5 mins from the airport. whats the cat and fiddle run?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
hmm possibility, its a bit far but may be able to make it if proposed collections/purchases don't happen this weekend.