ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maynard's 172 Track Car Project

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Good work!! Bit of an over guestimation though, the front carpet only weighs about 6kg, and all the sounds deadening is only a few kg.

Still loads more to come out! :)

All the tar is about 5.5kg mate lol.

Looks great btw mate, we are going down the same route :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I've got some Brembo HC's and Super Blue fluid sitting downstairs.

Fred has ordered me some DS2500 pads and Mocal lines. Just waiting for the lines to turn up.

He's also got me some of them camber bolts, so will getting them set up soon too :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
This is all the tar :)

IMG00256-20100605-1239.gif

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have the carpet in the garage ill weigh it later, the foam is in the bin but doubt thats more than 1kg?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Yeah I'd agree at about a kilo too for the foam.

Carpet, I'd hazard a guess at 5kg for the two parts?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Have collected this little lot over the last few days :)

SDC10986.jpg

SDC10989.jpg

SDC10993.jpg

SDC10994.jpg

Brembo HC's
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Mocal braided lines
Super Blue DOT 4 fluid
Eibach Camber bolts

I'm hoping to fit these soon, when I get chance! Fingers crossed I have no problems :)

Oh.. also I picked up some 2118's this week as well in a swap deal for my turinis. Will grab some photos when I've cleaned the car this weekend at some point!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
i'll have to a quick look on here where exactly to do so, a hand file will be sufficient i'm guessing?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
lol yeah, i think you just want to bring out your destructive side on my shiny new brake pads!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Long overdue update....

Finally got my brakes finished this week thanks to a late night at Fred's workshop.

When changing my discs and pads a couple of weeks back, there were no problems, but when trying to disconnect one of the brake hoses from the brake line, the nut holding it together started to round off due to the connection being seized.

Pain in the arse. Anyways finished of the other side but didn't touch that hose as that would be a job for another day.

Took the car to Fred's in the week and had the old line flared and used a smaller brake pipe union, then standard to connect to the new braided hose I was having fitted. Changed the other side at the same time too, but the two rear's were stuck solid at the connections so that will be a job for another time. Bled through with ATE Super Blue fluid and now all is well again.

New connection:

SDC10001.jpg

New brakes on:

SDC10002.jpg

SDC10003.jpg

Also lowered the back a bit more on the rear adjusters, and by removing the rubber cups on both sides. Sits quite a bit better now.

SDC10006.jpg

New exhaust hanger fitted, including the socket trick. Need to change the jubilee clip for some cable ties as it's got a fairly loud rattle on idle!

SDC10005.jpg

You may have spotted in the above pictures of the brakes, there's some shiny black camber bolts fitted ;) The result was about 2 to 2 1/2 of negative camber set up using Fred's secret method that I wasn't allowed to see as I was sat in the car high up on the ramp! Let's just say the drive home was pretty special :)

Car feels so much quicker now it's got the camber, turn in is great, just feels so much more responsive. Only way I can properly describe it is - point and shoot!

SDC10008.jpg

SDC10007.jpg

And a quick one from a far on the new 2118's:

SDC10011.jpg

I'll grab some half decent pics of her next weekend when I've grabbed myself a new mit, and can be arsed to go out and do it!

Ollie's Silver Cup
Must have missed the on-track photos back when they were posted, but they look great!

I see from the camber photos the 2118's are on...are more photos? :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Very nice indeed mate, good job.

Cheers!

Great project matey, and love the driving gloves!!

Them gloves and damn comfy! Grippy too :)

Must have missed the on-track photos back when they were posted, but they look great!

I see from the camber photos the 2118's are on...are more photos? :)

They were cracking photo's, really pleased that some people got some nice ones and were kind enough to post them online!

Aye the 2118's are now the road wheels, with Parada Spec 2's on.

Will grab some more next weekend ;)

Ollie's Silver Cup
They were cracking photo's, really pleased that some people got some nice ones and were kind enough to post them online!

Aye the 2118's are now the road wheels, with Parada Spec 2's on.

Will grab some more next weekend ;)

195/45/15's? I'm running Parada spec 2's on my 2118's...getting on with them very well tbh, impressed so far! :cool:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
195/45/15's? I'm running Parada spec 2's on my 2118's...getting on with them very well tbh, impressed so far! :cool:

Nope, I've got 195/50/15's on mine. I quite like them to, was a bit wary before getting the wheels after the reviews I'd seen on here about them, but they're pretty good!

Ollie's Silver Cup
Nope, I've got 195/50/15's on mine. I quite like them to, was a bit wary before getting the wheels after the reviews I'd seen on here about them, but they're pretty good!

Sorry, I meant 195/50/15!! :eek:

Don't know what made me type 45! I've got 195/50/15 also! lol :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Right, I thought I'd get an up to date spec list of what's gone on with the car:

2118's in anthractie for road
F1's in orange for track
Brembo HC's
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Mocal braided lines
ATE Super Blue fluid
Bilstein B14 coilovers
Eibach Camber bolts
ITG panel filter
Bosch Aero wiper blades
Cobra Imola Pro buckets
Sabelt 3 point 2'' harnesses
Stripped interior front and rear - including carpet and sound deadening
K-Tec stealth exhaust
K-Tec CF splitter
De-wipered rear
Clear side repeaters
OMP WRC suede steering wheel
Engine cover and under bonnet sound deadening removed

Future plans:

Remove headlining and sound deadening
Replace the front door cards for CF versions, including door strap
Remove sections of the front loom to do with the seat belt tensioners etc
Wrap up loom going to rear of the car in electrical tape and relocate behind where the interior panels used to be to tidy it all up
Anti slip strips in the front footwells
Replace rear discs and pads before MOT in October
Toying with the idea of a cage :S
Air con removal, so swapping over to Cup alternator set up

TTRS & V50
OH very nice. Perfect set up so far.

Over 2 deg of neg camber, going to be munching through tyres, hope you don't do many miles !

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Fortunatly no I don't do many miles at all! Anyways 15 inch tyres are cheap as chips really too!

Oh...forgot to add a Yozza race system to my to get list ;)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Russ, you should mate, well worth it.

Here's a couple more pics of the car, a better one on the 2118's after a fresh clean today, and a quick one of the camber.

SDC10012.jpg

SDC10013.jpg