ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maynard's 172 Track Car Project

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
More goodies arrived today :)

Another tow strap to go on the rear:

SDC10057.jpg

More camber shims, so that'll give me 2 degrees when they're put on with the other set I already have:

SDC10056.jpg

And some anti slip tape for the floor, think there will be enough to do both footwells. Might not have too though ;)

SDC10055.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Looking good mate. You got any trackdays booked for this year?

Not this year mate, funds tied up elsewhere, and some major work/mods going into it over the winter.

Decided to wait until the spring to do another one now :(

The wait will be worth it though :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
More of a necessity this one.......tyres :(

Plumped for a set of 5 tyres and a new 2118 wheel after struggling to find one spare one anywhere.

Thanks to Speedline for the super duper discount for the wheel, and also from a trade contact for the tyres ;)

The tyres I went for are the Federal 595 RSR's after hearing great things about them, I thought for the price I got all 5 for, it's worth more then a punt!

Quick pics earlier:

SDC10333.jpg

SDC10335.jpg

More stuff due soon too.

About to sort out getting some 2nd hand wishbones from a member on here, and also a clio 172 cup alternator kit too.

RB 182
We have them on our track car, plenty of grip and hold well over long stints. PM me what price and where you got them from ;)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
More stuff collected today....

...I now have everything I need for the Cup air con set up now.

New alternator sourced from Valeo through work ;)

And a new belt, all associated mounting bolts and mounts.

Only thing used to go on this set up is the main alternator bracket and tensioning bolt.

Started off like this:

SDC10350.jpg

Lick of paint and now looks like this:

SDC10346.jpg

SDC10345.jpg

And a quick picture of the alternator and other bits:

SDC10348.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I was going to yes...any reason why I should?

If I was removing it, what else do I need?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
They are rated highly by a lot of people on Meganesport.

Think MarkCup gained 4 or 5bhp from removing PAS.

The tyres now they're set at the right pressures - 29psi front, 26psi rear at cold, are pretty good I must say, really sticky in the dry and the greasy damp stuff. So far so good.

What am I going to need to remove the PAS then??

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Is it worth it though?

I've read a few reviews on here and some like it some don't.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I won't bother then, I know the electric pumps off the saxos can be expensive, unless I come across a cheap one I guess.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
More productive work gone in over the weekend :)

First off, gave the the gear stick surround a new lick of paint - masked it all up, used primer first and then renault black spray paint:

SDC10390.jpg

Removed my old 'GB' number plates and replaced them for some nice new plain one's:

SDC10373.jpg

SDC10374.jpg

SDC10375.jpg

SDC10376.jpg

Courtersty of a mate in the trade, free number plates FTW! They look much better now :)

Removed the fog lights to whilst I was at it, proper ball ache with the reaching one of the screws, then found out Renault hadn't bothered to use a torx screw like the other one's. They bloody used a hex shape screw - and to top it off it was a 3.5mm I needed to remove which I didn't have. :mad:. Ended up whacking the back of the screw from the front with a hammer and allen key and broke the fog light bracket - never mind it's off now!

SDC10392.jpg

SDC10393.jpg

Gives it a much meaner looking front end now I reckon ;)

And to finish off....cleaned the bare metal floor (vacuum) and cut to shape and stuck down the grip tape I'd had for a while:

SDC10389.jpg

SDC10391.jpg

Quite smart if I must say myself!

More to come very soon.....

CLIO PH1 172
what did you find to be the best way of removing the stuff from the roof. i need to do this. cars looking great btw.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
what did you find to be the best way of removing the stuff from the roof. i need to do this. cars looking great btw.

Aerosol can of brake cleaner and razor blade.

Then a bit of interior/tar remover to tidy the rest up.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Since when did you have a Yozza on the car? I must have been hiding under a rock.... I need to hear this in person :D

Since February mate...it makes me smile like a little child when going for it :)

Let me know next time your up this way.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Another new part arrived today in preperation for a bit of a overhaul:

Magnecor 8mm Blue leads.

SDC10396.jpg

SDC10397.jpg

CLIO PH1 172
Were did you get these Im thinking of doing my plugs soon so might change the leads at the same time ..

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
MOT yesterday...passed fine couple of advisiories for rear brakes may need replacing (I knew that anyways!) and the handbrake adjusting. Apart from that all passed fine.

May well be the last MOT it has, we'll see what the next few months bring.

Also, had a nice delivery courtesy of M4D M4X on here, got some cheap brake ducts he had spare that he had made.

SDC10398.jpg

SDC10401.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
BIG update :)

Finally sorted something out that I've looked/aimed at for quite a while now....the Clio's off the road for good.

Have bought myself a new daily/tow car too.

The Clio's new home:

SDC10412.jpg

The new car:

SDC10415.jpg

It's a 2005 Mondeo 2.2 TDCI, very well specced with some nice toys - finally something comfy to drive around in :)

Just need to get my B+E license sorted now.

Got quite a few things to get sorted on the Clio now before Spring, where I aim to get it to it's first trackday of the year :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Yep off the road for good now.

SORN is going in the post tomorrow, so yeah pretty much!