ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's Fiesta ST

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I fitted my induction hose this afternoon, then in a moment of madness spurred on by the successful hose installation I decided to have a go at fitting the intercooler as well...I got there in the end...

IMG_20151228_165423.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Right, a shakedown has revealed all is good. May well be the placebo effect, but recirc valve noise seems a little more audible, and a logging session has shown it to now regularly hit 1.46 bar versus a previous max of 1.44. Unsurprisingly intake temps are lower than anything I've seen before...it may well give me 0.1s around my beloved Goodwood. Woop.

Next, onto the catback exhaust, sports cat, hard charge pipe kit, cam timing tweak and MR230 map...

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice I like the way mountune adjusts the cam timing to gain torque in the mid range, wouldn't mind getting one of the locking tools and seeing if adjustments gain anything with Revo software.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
When you getting the rest of the stuff fitted?

ASAP. As it can only be fitted by a Mountune 'Pro' dealer I'm limited to two that are within easy reach. It'll likely be sometime in January, no idea when though.

Very nice I like the way mountune adjusts the cam timing to gain torque in the mid range, wouldn't mind getting one of the locking tools and seeing if adjustments gain anything with Revo software.

Looking at the power and torque curves (standard versus MP215 versus MR230) it's more what it does to the power than the torque, from pretty much zero RPM MR230 gives 20-30 PS over standard all the way through whereas MP215 only gives maybe 5 PS at best until it gets to the top end.

In February I'm taking it to the same rolling road I've used when standard and MP215 so I'll get all three curves overlaid to see if Mountune deliver what they promise.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Evo review up. Nothing but positive things about the conversion, just say it overwhelms the Bridgestone tyre and could do with better tyres

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Booked to have it all fitted on 22nd.

It's only costing £200 to have them fit the sports cat (people that have done it themselves have taken anything up to five hours!), remove the cambelt and adjust the cam timing, and upload the new MR230 map. Bargain!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone that has an ST is looking for a simple, quick, and relatively inexpensive power gain, fit the Mountune induction hose.

JW Racing strapped an otherwise standard customer's ST to a hub dyno today after first replacing the Mountune item with a standard induction hose - they were trying to set an absolute baseline to determine transmission losses and give more accurate flywheel figures as it's known that standard STs are 99.9% bang on the money at 200PS.

Job done they re-fitted the customer's MT hose and ran it again to see what, if any, difference it gave and it surprised them with +6bhp. No' bad.

http://www.mountunestore.com/collec...st-high-flow-induction-hose?variant=780300825

2364-IH-COMP_019ef7c2-f420-4316-90ef-de8f39bdab01.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
This morning having got up at the crack of dawn I'm now sat at the only Mountune Pro dealer in the South, MR230 gets fitted today.

I was hoping they could/would fit it all except the exhaust as I'm not after noise and the original item still has life left in it yet, but Mountune insist it's all or nothing.

Having said that they're not fitting the charge pipe kit, that's sat at home waiting for me to do it.

I filmed some in-gear speedo runs the other night ready for today, MP215 v MR230 comparison videos to follow soon.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Jealous! I think the standard performance is great so I'd imagine it is very brisk with that set up.

Shame about the exhaust as every one I've heard/seen sounds garbage.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome.

As said i still think the standard ST is pretty potent, even coming up to 32k in it!, can't imagine what it'll be like with the 230 kit and the extra Torques.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Jealous! I think the standard performance is great so I'd imagine it is very brisk with that set up.

Shame about the exhaust as every one I've heard/seen sounds garbage.

Ha ha, yeah, I'm more than happy with the standard pipe.

Another owner i know has MR230 on his wife's car, says she barely notices the exhaust as it only really gets a bit shouty when under full load. Fingers crossed it's on the subtle side when just pootling about.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It turns out a gasket is missing from the Mountune kit for the exhaust and sports cat, they have one en route, looking like 1pm at the earliest.

FFS. Wouldn't be so bad if their coffee wasn't s**t.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not too sure on torques, I'll check later and let you know.

As for the upgrade, 6.5 hours later (I was only billed for 3 of that though) and it is complete.

I've just driven home, 50 miles...

When I got MP215 my first reaction was a bit meh, there was something there, but it wasn't immediately apparent unless you went looking for it.

This though, f*** me!

That's all for now.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Aye, it's the 'stealth' version, silver and no Mountune logo plastered across the front of it.
I saw a vid where they tested intercoolers and whether painting them helps. It turned out that painting it black actually decreased the intake temps when air wasn't passing over the intercooler (i.e. stationery car).

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I saw a vid where they tested intercoolers and whether painting them helps. It turned out that painting it black actually decreased the intake temps when air wasn't passing over the intercooler (i.e. stationery car).
Mighty car Mods.

I always thought the black intercooler was stealth?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I remember reading that, black may be cooler but stands out as modified hence silver being the 'stealth' option.

I'm quite happy with how they've fitted the exhaust, it's central in the recess, sticks out just enough, and has not banged on anything once.

IMG_20160122_142142.jpg
IMG_20160122_142209.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What's the verdict on the noise with the new chav cannon..

I'm glad to say it's pretty far from being a chav cannon. It sounds louder on the inside than it does from the outside. You can tell it's different from outside, but it's not shouty at all.

Exhaust looks good, well made.

It's a superbly well made piece of kit, quite sad I can't look at it up close any more! They gave it to one of their techs that's an enthusiast to fit everything, he did a great job and let me question him under the car for 10 minutes on what he did, how he did it, what was tricky etc. Fantastic service from Birchdown Ford Eastbourne.

Looks good Mark. Now, where the vids :smile:

I've not driven it since I got home yesterday, my wife's been in it while I collected and have since been fiddling with her new C Max.

Hopefully I can get on the airstrip tonight to get more footage.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
When's it being run on the RR mate? I'm interested in seeing the graphs from each stage.

Saturday 6th February, hopefully Charlie still has the previous run files and can overlay all 3, he's always had them in the past so shouldn't be a problem.

Judging by how it feels in gear it's got every one of the 20-30 HP Mountune promised.

I'm waiting for the wife to get back in it, cameras are charged and ready to go for later.

They are crackers. I'm not going to replace mine (just ride about in our C1). Nothing out there for the money comes close so I don't want to get stuck with something that isn't as good. Sure I could pay £300+ a month on something better but I'd rather save it for now. They are amazing value for money.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
The only thing I miss is xenons, other than that it's got everything.

I've just done 130 motorway miles with the cruise at 70 and its showing 44.7 mpg. Can't ask for much more than that.

Xenons and a better quality ride and it would be perfect for me.