ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's Fiesta ST

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
A little update from me, the oil level has remained constant for the last couple of weeks, I'm well over 34k now and the second set of Bridgestones and the original pads and discs all round still have enough meat on them for a good few k miles more. As said many times before I'll be going for a third set of OEM tyres and sticking with OEM brakes all round when I do change them. Quite looking forward to getting some fresh boots and brakes on it.

I'm booked in at Goodwood on Saturday 8th August but hoping to squeeze in a Bedford day beforehand to warm up.

Played around yesterday trying to capture it torque steering, it does behave itself mostly but goes enough on occasion to put you in the opposite lane if you're not careful...

And found this video which sums the ST up well...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Surprised you wouldn't change tyres. The last ST I drove had Michelins fitted, can't remember if they started fitting them as standard as I know they change supplier a lot. Felt really nice to drive, bridgestones felt much harder.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Surprised you wouldn't change tyres. The last ST I drove had Michelins fitted, can't remember if they started fitting them as standard as I know they change supplier a lot. Felt really nice to drive, bridgestones felt much harder.

This is my second set, I love how the car feels on them on both road and track, I get huge mileage from them and they're what the car came with. No need to change at all as far as I'm concerned!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How long did you get out of them? My fronts have done 11k and still on 5mm.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
How long did you get out of them? My fronts have done 11k and still on 5mm.

I've done 10k on mine and the fronts are at about 4.5 and rears are 6.5

Think I might swap them round and I might not have to replace a set before next April!

This is exactly what I've done with both sets so far, I rotated them diagonally both times at about 9k. First set did two trackdays and were all done by 17k. Current set have only done one trackday and I think I'll get 19 or maybe even 20k out of them.

This is exactly what I've done with both sets so far, I rotated them diagonally both times at about 9k. First set did two trackdays and were all done by 17k. Current set have only done one trackday and I think I'll get 19 or maybe even 20k out of them.

Just checked G2L's wear and tear policy and tires have to have atleast 1.4mm tread left on hand back!

There's no way I'll get them down to that before next April unless they start to wear a lot faster once lower on the tread.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I wonder if they ever topped the oil up. Old mans Aston was dealer serviced from new. Fred did the 40k (roughly) service, air filter had cars original build date sticker on.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
A little update from me, the oil level has remained constant for the last couple of weeks, I'm well over 34k now and the second set of Bridgestones and the original pads and discs all round still have enough meat on them for a good few k miles more. As said many times before I'll be going for a third set of OEM tyres and sticking with OEM brakes all round when I do change them. Quite looking forward to getting some fresh boots and brakes on it.

I'm booked in at Goodwood on Saturday 8th August but hoping to squeeze in a Bedford day beforehand to warm up.

Played around yesterday trying to capture it torque steering, it does behave itself mostly but goes enough on occasion to put you in the opposite lane if you're not careful...

And found this video which sums the ST up well...

Do you need to be a member for Goodwood ?

Any spaces left ?

Alan

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder if they ever topped the oil up. Old mans Aston was dealer serviced from new. Fred did the 40k (roughly) service, air filter had cars original build date sticker on.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'll be paying very close attention when it goes for it's final freebie service.

Do you need to be a member for Goodwood ?

Any spaces left ?

Alan

Not a member but this is a private invite only day and I've been fortunate enough to be invited, sorry!

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Mark, mine, my brothers and many of my customers are stage one or higher and none use any oil. It's highly likely it wasn't right from its last service.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
We've worked on quite a few now and my cousin has also just taken delivery of his brand new ST2, 3 miles on the clock.

The customers I spoke to only one really said he noticed any oil use and only because Ford told him at it's first service.

Asked my cousin to keep me up to date on his.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Here's a few minor updates from me;

Two years passed on 1st June and I've just breached 37,750 miles in it. Costs etc are as they always have been so I can't be arsed with charts as they're nigh on identical to the last ones.

It had its third and last free service by the dealer today. They didn't wash it, didn't kerb the wheels and pledged to try and resolve the dodgy passenger sill light and drivers door seal as a goodwill gesture seeing as both are long out of warranty. I've since checked the oil and it's at the right level and clean! After the scare recently with barely a drop showing on the dipstick I will continue to keep a close eye on it.

New brakes also went on recently...from @George@RTR_Parts it's been treated to Mintex discs all round, M1144 pads out back and DS2500s up front.

Hallelujah.

The low speed grabiness has 100% gone. I've forgotten how good DS2500s feel, unlike the standard pads they're very progressive, much more so in the first few centimetres of pedal travel where the standard pads were seemingly either full on or off.

Then give them a serious press from high speed and halfway through they heat up and bite in hard. Yum. Fresh fluid is going in tomorrow then that's it before Goodwood in August. Can't wait.

Also, if anyone's not seen it yet the ST kicked the latest Corsa VXR, new JCW, Polo GTi, 208 GTi 30th, and Audi S1 into touch in Evo magazine's latest group test. Over two years since its launch and it's still the hot-hatch to have if dynamics and involvement/enjoyment are your bag. Remarkable. The only area dynamically it fell down versus the others was with it having no LSD.

So future plans are now MR230 with an LSD. No rush for it, and certainly not until my standard exhaust crumbles and dies.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
12.5 k intervals. As for the fan...I can't say I've ever been aware mine's been running, at all.

You need to get that checked out...is your temp gauge still staying on four bars?

That's some nice mileage Mark!. Mines coming up to 21k and booked in for its 2nd service on the 23rd of this month.

On both sides my kick/scuff plates are half illuminated, something that's never bothered me but I'll get them to have a look and the passenger side suspension "clunk" that quite a few ST's seem to have. I can't say i've noticed my fan kicking in at all, although I'll keep on close eye on now just to see.

Also where's the Evo article ? can't seem to find it on the website unless I'am being silly lol.

12.5 k intervals. As for the fan...I can't say I've ever been aware mine's been running, at all.

You need to get that checked out...is your temp gauge still staying on four bars?

Ah yes of course.

Temps are fine on the gauge, wonder if there is a fault with the sensor and it's coming on at a lower temp than correct..

It's going in to Ford (again) on Tuesday, as the rear view mirror fell off when I was driving!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ill be interested to see how people get on with their 2nd set of tyres.
Any car ive had new or 2nd hand but still on their first set of tyres have been brilliant and lasted over 20k, but the second set of the same tyres have been a lot worse for miles.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's some nice mileage Mark!. Mines coming up to 21k and booked in for its 2nd service on the 23rd of this month.

On both sides my kick/scuff plates are half illuminated, something that's never bothered me but I'll get them to have a look and the passenger side suspension "clunk" that quite a few ST's seem to have. I can't say i've noticed my fan kicking in at all, although I'll keep on close eye on now just to see.

Also where's the Evo article ? can't seem to find it on the website unless I'am being silly lol.

Maybe I should have put spoiler tags around the Evo thing, it's not in the shops yet, I read it in my subscriber copy.

Ill be interested to see how people get on with their 2nd set of tyres.
Any car ive had new or 2nd hand but still on their first set of tyres have been brilliant and lasted over 20k, but the second set of the same tyres have been a lot worse for miles.

I had circa 18k from my first set and the second still have 2mm remaining at 38k. Will get some more before Goodwood but for me, the standard fit Bridgestone RE050s, last/wear well and give me enough grip and feedback all round. They are noisy though!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Here's a few minor updates from me;

Two years passed on 1st June and I've just breached 37,750 miles in it. Costs etc are as they always have been so I can't be arsed with charts as they're nigh on identical to the last ones.

It had its third and last free service by the dealer today. They didn't wash it, didn't kerb the wheels and pledged to try and resolve the dodgy passenger sill light and drivers door seal as a goodwill gesture seeing as both are long out of warranty. I've since checked the oil and it's at the right level and clean! After the scare recently with barely a drop showing on the dipstick I will continue to keep a close eye on it.

New brakes also went on recently...from @George@RTR_Parts it's been treated to Mintex discs all round, M1144 pads out back and DS2500s up front.

Hallelujah.

The low speed grabiness has 100% gone. I've forgotten how good DS2500s feel, unlike the standard pads they're very progressive, much more so in the first few centimetres of pedal travel where the standard pads were seemingly either full on or off.

Then give them a serious press from high speed and halfway through they heat up and bite in hard. Yum. Fresh fluid is going in tomorrow then that's it before Goodwood in August. Can't wait.

Also, if anyone's not seen it yet the ST kicked the latest Corsa VXR, new JCW, Polo GTi, 208 GTi 30th, and Audi S1 into touch in Evo magazine's latest group test. Over two years since its launch and it's still the hot-hatch to have if dynamics and involvement/enjoyment are your bag. Remarkable. The only area dynamically it fell down versus the others was with it having no LSD.

So future plans are now MR230 with an LSD. No rush for it, and certainly not until my standard exhaust crumbles and dies.
That's a bit of an overly friendly summation of the test! It narrowly beat the Pug as a road car, and within the article they even say the result would likely be reversed if there was any track work involved.

From the article, seems as though the Pug is the better option if you prefer something a bit more hardcore and on it. The fiesta if you prefer calmer.

Seems the Pug is closer in spirit to the RS stuff of old.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's a bit of an overly friendly summation of the test! It narrowly beat the Pug as a road car, and within the article they even say the result would likely be reversed if there was any track work involved.

From the article, seems as though the Pug is the better option if you prefer something a bit more hardcore and on it. The fiesta if you prefer calmer.

Seems the Pug is closer in spirit to the RS stuff of old.

Of course it is!

I'll have to re-read it but I recall the only upside the 208 had over the ST was the LSD, hence them saying if the test inviolved a track element to it the 208 would have won the day.

Regardless, it's punching well after the opposition have had two years to come up with a credible and cost comparable alternative.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Of course it is!

I'll have to re-read it but I recall the only upside the 208 had over the ST was the LSD, hence them saying if the test inviolved a track element to it the 208 would have won the day.

Regardless, it's punching well after the opposition have had two years to come up with a credible and cost comparable alternative.
If you get the basics right 1st time, makes life a lot easier! The 172 and it's derivatives were pretty much the top drivers choice for 6 years. Fiesta could do the same.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It'd be at risk of treading on the toes of the new Focus RS.

Having said that, seeing as all the opposition are priced circa £3-5k more than the Fiesta, there's certainly scope to turn it into an animal.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Joy of joys, driving my daughter to school this morning and I got smacked up the rear while waiting to turn right.

Creased floor, fucked bumper and boot, fuel cut out tripped, emergency services automatically called by Ford SYNC, and I'm now sat waiting for recovery. Great.

I'm supposed to be at Goodwood in 5 weeks, how long do we think a repair is likely to take? It should be done in time surely?

Rear dash cam footage and pics to follow...

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Bad news. Quite bad damage then!

That's pretty cool that Ford Sync calls 999 automatically, and gives your location etc I presume?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Actually yeah what does it do in a crash? Do you still have to do the speaking or is it an automated call?