ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's Fiesta ST

Exige V6 / Fiesta ST
Hi Mark,

I've really enjoyed reading this entire thread from a clear car enthusiast /tips my cap to you sir :)

I've been looking at buying a second car for a while to runabout in but I wanted something fun. I did have a BMW 1M for three years which was tuned and I've really missed that torque turbo delivery.

Anyway I started a new job in January and decided to just go for it. So today I ordered a white Fiesta ST-2 with the Mountune kit on it. I should collect it next week and I can't wait to have a drive as I've never got behind the wheel of one. However your thread has certainly helped.

With the sale of my 1M, the remaining cash is going into the ST's stable buddy which should go into build shortly. An Exige V6 in Liquid Yellow :D

Somehow though I think the ST will hold its own for fun against the Lotus :D

BgY8U10.png

gInryqG.png

Exige V6 / Fiesta ST
I've ordered mine from Jamie at B&C :)

The only differences I've gone for though are to have some bits painted black (like the rear wing and section between the rear lights) and the interior including the dash and steering wheel trimmed in alcantara. Lastly I've got a full exhaust system going on from 2bulat (manifolds, downpipes, sports cat and back box). Should be fun but I won't get it until April.

Anyway sorry Mark for the thread drift. Back on the ST, I'm looking to pick mine up next week. Do you have to run these engines in now or can you drive them from the get go?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Anyway sorry Mark for the thread drift. Back on the ST, I'm looking to pick mine up next week. Do you have to run these engines in now or can you drive them from the get go?
If you've bought it then I'd say don't rip the pi$$ for the few hundred miles or so. Mechanical sympathy goes a long way. If you've leased it red line it from day 1 :tongueout:
Seems to be what most folk say.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If you've bought it then I'd say don't rip the pi$$ for the few hundred miles or so. Mechanical sympathy goes a long way. If you've leased it red line it from day 1 :tongueout:
Seems to be what most folk say.
Drive it like you stole it from day 1. It's probably had a final post assembly test drive where it's driven harder than you ever would on the road. The tolerances these days mean running in meaningless from everything I've read.

We all know the quickest cars are spanked from day one. I'd say waiting for oil temp to hit operating temp on every journey is far more important than running in procedure.

Exige V6 / Fiesta ST
Yeah I've got the car on Ford Options using a Privilege ticket. My plan was simply to run it for the term (2 years), then hand it back for a new one and start again. I guess it's probably not the engine so much that needs running in, but rather bedding in the brakes, etc.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've always heeded running in advice, my 172 Cup was very strong compared to others, the ST is the same as all the rest.

It doesn't do any harm...and I enjoy building it up, getting miles on it, anticipating being able to absolutely wring it's neck.

Exige V6 / Fiesta ST
I'm in a few forums - Detailing World, PH, SELOC, 1addicts, BabyBMW, Etc. My plate has been on a few different cars as well (Elise SC, Exige 260, Golf R32 and a BMW 1M).

Although I don't have many posts on here, I read it a lot. Lots of petrolheads all sharing their passion / hobby which is great :)

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Drive it like you stole it from day 1. It's probably had a final post assembly test drive where it's driven harder than you ever would on the road. The tolerances these days mean running in meaningless from everything I've read.

We all know the quickest cars are spanked from day one. I'd say waiting for oil temp to hit operating temp on every journey is far more important than running in procedure.

This.
Everytime.

The only time i would bother with running in something would be a fresh rebuild, IE forged etc. Bone standard car, f**k the running in period. Loads of BS these days the cars already had its c**t kicked in before you have taken ownership. I think Manufacturers just use it to wriggle out of warranty work TBH.

I've always heeded running in advice, my 172 Cup was very strong compared to others, the ST is the same as all the rest.

It doesn't do any harm...and I enjoy building it up, getting miles on it, anticipating being able to absolutely wring it's neck.
Pfft, Stuff that. You buy a car like this to kick its c**t in, Regardless of whether or not its a lease or financed. Its a bloody run of the mill car not some delicate super/hypercar.

Anyway, Thanks to @MarkCup's thread my brother is now convinced that a MK7 ST won't be that much more to run day to to, If any that his current 1.4 MK7 titanium thing. I for one am looking forward to robbing it off him now and again. be nice to blast about in something near its limit on the road without the fear of doing well in excess of double the NSL like the Megane when you even try to get near its limits.

Other than the usual MK7 rattles, Any specific issues with the ST, Anything to look for when buying?
Looking at an ST-2 for 13kish, Should be able to pick up a nice low miler pretty easily.

I'm in a few forums - Detailing World, PH, SELOC, 1addicts, BabyBMW, Etc. My plate has been on a few different cars as well (Elise SC, Exige 260, Golf R32 and a BMW 1M).

Although I don't have many posts on here, I read it a lot. Lots of petrolheads all sharing their passion / hobby which is great :smile:

Im pretty certain i read your 1M thread on babyBMW, Was a cracking thing and had some choice mods IIRC?

Exige V6 / Fiesta ST
Yep my 1M had a Forge intercooler, modded midpipes to remove the secondary cats and was remapped by DMS. It went very well but you couldn't use the performance on the road.

9mHjw.jpg

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
@-Jamie- Im not sure you will be able to run the fiesta at its limits on the roads tbh...

I wouldn't have thought it to be that much slower than the Megane, and maybe a bit quicker after a Mountune!
I think Jamie is running 300bhp (ish) in his Meg. So a wee bit faster than even a Mountune FiST.

I was just going off the figures to be honest.

Presumed a 200hp (or more) lightweight hatch wouldn't be a million miles away from a 250hp heavier hatch.

Didnt know Jamie's was running that power! Ha

Peugeot 308
I'm inclined to sort of agree with @Matthew , its not like the Fiesta is a wheezy-powered Ignis/Swift/Panda/Twingo where 70mph makes things a real event.

Granted his Megane may be knocking on 300bhp and has more going for it in the reaching-it-limits stake... but reaching the upper limits of the Fiesta (even more so with a stage 1 map) is still a sure bet to get you into the s**t.

Its still a 140mph car..

There's 2 distinct sides, those that have FiST's, and those who don't :D

I'm sure it could be close, but the Megane is known to be awesome (ring times etc), so not sure how they'd compare on track - guess it depends on the circuit more than anything (assuming same driver). Not that it matters anyway tbh, can have just as much fun in either imo.

Peugeot 308
There's 2 distinct sides, those that have FiST's, and those who don't :smiley:

I'm sure it could be close, but the Megane is known to be awesome (ring times etc), so not sure how they'd compare on track - guess it depends on the circuit more than anything (assuming same driver). Not that it matters anyway tbh, can have just as much fun in either imo.

Oh, don't mistake me for being biased :smile:
I've only got the thing because it delivers on cheap frills.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Power/Weight isn't everything anyway.

The Megane has 245 section Semi slicks/Race pads and a few other handling related goodies. Hence its limit of grip is very, very high. A lot higher than a Fiesta will ever get to without extensive work.

My old MK7 ZS was fully stripped and was down to just over 1000kgs, Was running about 155bhp, Semi slicks, Coilovers, Aggressive brakes etc so i look forward to seeing what the ST is like with an extra 50 odd BHP but less grip LOL

I might just stick up a review/comparison thread when it arrives and i can get some decent seat time in it.

This is all means be getting gone my "RS Meg is better than your Fiesta" High horse because both a brilliant, The Fiesta is a proper little fun car for the road and Standard vs standard there is nothing in them on the road. On track i would imagine its a different ball game

The Fiesta is a proper little fun car for the road and Standard vs standard there is nothing in them on the road. On track i would imagine its a different ball game

This was the point I was trying to make. I have no doubts on a track the Meg is the better/faster car, but on a British road, I wouldn't have thought there would be a great deal in it...

Exige V6 / Fiesta ST
This was the point I was trying to make. I have no doubts on a track the Meg is the better/faster car, but on a British road, I wouldn't have thought there would be a great deal in it...

I agree. On the public roads, with traffic and the idiots who don't look, most "performance" cars are much of a muchness. My Exige V6 will be running around 400bhp, on sticky tyres and a clever ECU brain (Race mode) and I don't expect to be "that much" quicker on the public road compared to the Fiesta. On track it'll be a night and day difference, but not on the road where I value my licence....

Peugeot 308
The Megane has 245 section Semi slicks/Race pads and a few other handling related goodies. Hence its limit of grip is very, very high. A lot higher than a Fiesta will ever get to without extensive work.

What kind of extensive work? if I for some reason decided to stick near on the same goodies as you have to my Fiesta... Does that count for extensive or am I missing a trick here?

I should imagine the Megane to be better than the Fiesta, Its Focus RS territory tbh..

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Bigger motors tend to give much more torque although the 1.6 does kick out a fair amount.
Even my gay3 is a fair whack quicker than the local rudeboi's ST. He has a yellow badge on the back too.

Edit, let me add I've only had a d/c battle. Twisties with mine in badman spec would be a bit different! lol

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The meg has more grip and stability than the fiesta as standard, and the brakes are better imo. It's from a class above and performs that way.
That doesn't reflect poorly on the fiesta at all, different cars at a different price point. Apples and oranges!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Your 2L 260bhp+ Audi beat a 1.6T Fiesta in a sprint? I'm surprised... :confounded:

"Presumed a 200hp (or more) lightweight hatch wouldn't be a million miles away from a 250hp heavier hatch."
The truth is there is a big gap (on a straight) and mine weighs as much as the moon.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't see me quote that? ^^
And straight-line drags aren't really my bag.
Hey? No you didn't but Matthew said it and you were "inclined" to agree. I gave my input to which you make out is obvious? Make your mind up.
Anyway, I really don't care..lol

Peugeot 308
Hey? No you didn't but Matthew said it and you were "inclined" to agree. I gave my input to which you make out is obvious? Make your mind up.
Anyway, I really don't care..lol

"Im not sure you will be able to run the fiesta at its limits on the roads tbh..."

That's what I was agreeing to.
Your right, I don't care also lol.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Power/Weight isn't everything anyway.
What lap time do you do in your Meg at Knockhill. I'm at 64 seconds in my ST on standard road tyres. I'd imagine you'll beat the minute mark?

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
60/61 on RSRs and standard power. That was before the changes to the track. Should easily run 58/59s with my current setup maybe slightly quicker once I fit the Nitrons

Fwiw I was running 3.11 at Spa in the wet, again that was before I decat'd and fitted a few other bits

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
A standard fiesta ST is a bit faster than a lightly modded 172 cup, which know is the fastest car in the world. So what does that make the fiesta?...

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
60/61 on RSRs and standard power. That was before the changes to the track. Should easily run 58/59s with my current setup maybe slightly quicker once I fit the Nitrons

Fwiw I was running 3.11 at Spa in the wet, again that was before I decat'd and fitted a few other bits
You doing the SIDC day on 28th March?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Be interesting to see what difference a proper lsd would make to the fiesta. In latest EVO article, same day and same driver it lapped Bedford South 2.5s slower than the new pug 208 gti anniversary thing. 2.5s!

Peugeot 308
Be interesting to see what difference a proper lsd would make to the fiesta. In latest EVO article, same day and same driver it lapped Bedford South 2.5s slower than the new pug 208 gti anniversary thing. 2.5s!

To be fair, the Anniversary 208 is a step up in terms of spec. it has more BHP, Torque along with a proper diff (RCZR Gearbox). The suspension has also been fiddled with along with a wider-track and decent 4 pot Brembo's.

Bar the stupid dashboard design, its comfortably a better car than the Fiesta as standard, albeit a £22k car before discounts... which considering what goodies it has over the Fiesta, isn't THAT bad imo.