ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at buying a clio 172 cup, any words of advise?

Hey guys

I'm now 21 and looking for a car that is a bit more fun to drive than my current 1.2L Fiesta.

I'm looking at getting a Clio sport 172 cup model 2002/2003 with around 65,000k miles on the clock and looking to spend around £2700 MAX

I was wondering what everyone advises in terms of what I should be looking out for?

I know very little about technicalities but I've been advised not to buy a Clio 172 which hasn't had the cambelt changed.

Anything else I should be looking for?

Cheers

Last edited:
  Suzuki Jimny
Correct. Make sure that the cambelt has definately not been changed. Would be awful if it has. ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cambelt is ever 5 years or 72,000 miles whichever is soonest.

Check for a front end smack also. Winter seems to claim a few Cups yearly!

Really? I would obviously be very cautious in ice/snow.

By the way guys, Admiral have offered me £1476 insurance on a cup at 21. Good?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
No, i jest. (Winter seems to be Cup culling season on here for some reason, ABS makes no difference to driving in adverse weather)

That seems kinda pricey @ 21, do you have any NCB?

Technically no but i've been driving since 17 and admiral say as long as i can provide proof of this they WILL give me 4 years NCB. Any other companies worth trying?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Admiral said that if you can provide proof of holding a Uk drivers license since the age of 17 they will provide you with a 4 year no claims discount...? Without proof of 4 consecutive insurance policies, and its still the best part of £1500....?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
That sounds a bit odd, suprised Admiral would "honour" that type of thing without actual proof... anyway, try Bell and Elephant, although part of the same group (EUI ltd) they sometimes work out cheaper

Yeah I'd say thats reasonable considering I'm paying £1100 with them on a 1.4 :p

Admiral are good for the introductory ncb, just get a letter from your past insurers and if you stay with them for the second year it turns into 5 complete ncb :D

Clio 182

I'm paying £1300 on a 182 with 2 years ncb and I'm only just 19 >.< Considering I'm with Admiral aswell yours is expensive. A tip with admiral is to ring up once you have an online quote, they often say they can get UP TO 23% off your online quote. Hope this helps :)

I'm paying £1300 on a 182 with 2 years ncb and I'm only just 19 >.< Considering I'm with Admiral aswell yours is expensive. A tip with admiral is to ring up once you have an online quote, they often say they can get UP TO 23% off your online quote. Hope this helps :)

I hate you! Mine was £6000 with a 182 :mad: same age but 1year ncb

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Jeez they are some crazy quotes and premiums people are paying, and i begrudge handing over £400 a year to insure my cup!!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I switched my policy over to my clio when I got it with bell (admiral's sister company) and it worked out at £3000 a year lol. I only had to pay the extra for the last month though so bit the bullet and insured it. Then chris knott did me at 19 with 1ncb for £1300, now 20 with 2ncb paying £1000 with adrian flux :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
cups are generally more to insure than a normal 172 due to higher accident rate (down to the lack of abs and idiots who cant drive without it?!)

your budget is a bit tight, would get you an awesome ph1 172 though!! plus you would have a faster car with better wheels...

Stripped yozza'd cup
I'm paying £790 a year with admiral at 21 with 1 year no claims.... On a 172 cup too. That seems far too much?? Suppose I get a bit off for having the gf as a second driver, but not £600.

In terms of advice...
Check the gearbox isn't overly clunky, although they are always a tad notchy.
Belts are essential, as you said.
It's generally said that service history is MUCH more important than higher/lower mileage.
Reciepts, service stamps etc, preferably from a reputable company.
Check the rear shocks aren't knackered.

Thats poor. I'm 20 and my 200 is £900, 1 years ncb and 3 accidents on record. I phoned up for a multicar on a 172 cup and a 200 and it was only a few hundred more. :approve:

All with admiral btw.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Thats poor. I'm 20 and my 200 is £900, 1 years ncb and 3 accidents on record. I phoned up for a multicar on a 172 cup and a 200 and it was only a few hundred more. :approve:

All with admiral btw.

The 200 is much cheaper to insure.... Better crash statistics and safer for driver and pedestrian.

Hi guys, really need a response here!

The above car has 62k miles and the belt needs changing at 72k right? Even though it was changed at 36k?

How much is a belt job? £500/600?