ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

leeRS Clio Sport 172 ph2

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
This is them isn’t it?

IMG_2005.png

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I’ll inspect a bit further tomorrow and get the hub nut off so I can get behind and see what’s going on.

It’s definitely something to do with the first picture as there was a lot of swarf about.

Is that the head of a bolt what I have circled?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I’ll inspect a bit further tomorrow and get the hub nut off so I can get behind and see what’s going on.

It’s definitely something to do with the first picture as there was a lot of swarf about.

Is that the head of a bolt what I have circled?

I don't think the bolts go through that far, certainly not enough to hit the back of the disc.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Right, I’m down with the clio now.

Disc off I can see a lot more what is going on as below images.

The disc spacer has a concave and flat side to it.
I had it in with the concave edge against the hub. This is allowing the disc to sit closer to the top of the nut which has then scored the back of the disc. Hence the grinding metallic noise.

Am I right in thinking I have just had the spacer on the wrong way around?
So this is meant to be flat face against the hub and concave fave against back of disc?

Turning it by hand it clears the disc a lot more having the flat face against hub so sort of makes sense I had it the wrong way around.

Circled in red is what it has been scrubbing on.

IMG_2007.jpeg
IMG_2008.jpeg
IMG_2011.jpeg
IMG_2009.jpeg
IMG_2012.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Right, I’m down with the clio now.

Disc off I can see a lot more what is going on as below images.

The disc spacer has a concave and flat side to it.
I had it in with the concave edge against the hub. This is allowing the disc to sit closer to the top of the nut which has then scored the back of the disc. Hence the grinding metallic noise.

Am I right in thinking I have just had the spacer on the wrong way around?
So this is meant to be flat face against the hub and concave fave against back of disc?

Turning it by hand it clears the disc a lot more having the flat face against hub so sort of makes sense I had it the wrong way around.

Circled in red is what it has been scrubbing on.

View attachment 1687375View attachment 1687376View attachment 1687377View attachment 1687378View attachment 1687379
The last photo shows the flat face of the spacer. This goes against the bearing. The first picture of the spacer is bevelled and sits against the spindle. So that goes on first.
IMG_2932.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Ok. Well that is the way I had it on originally as it is catching on the back of the disc.

When I turn it round the other way it clears 😂
I’ve only ever used original discs and always fit it that way. Never had an issue.

There looks like some scouring on the inside of that hub carrier mind. Where you’ve drawn red circles around the bolts.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Picture of mine without the spacer but showing the bolts. Your bolts seem a bit long.

My spindle seems to stick out further as well. Might just be the rust and picture angle. But something doesn’t seem right there. The carrier bolts are a very specific type from Renault. You can’t match them from a fasteners IIRC.

Have replaced bolts yourself at any point?

IMG_2933.png

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve only ever used original discs and always fit it that way. Never had an issue.

There looks like some scouring on the inside of that hub carrier mind. Where you’ve drawn red circles around the bolts.

Yep I’ve just noticed that aswell and looking on the rear of the disc it looks like this.

I’ve just checked the other side as I thought the noise was only coming from rear left and can see the same marks.

You reckon I’ve been sent the wrong rear discs or something stupid?
IMG_2014.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that’s the scraping sound. It shouldn’t be hitting that.

So from what I can see : The discs aren’t genuine, the carrier bolts look too long. What could possibly go wrong 😂

Did you buy the discs from Frogjam like I recommended?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I might have some genuine rear discs in my garage for reference. I’ll just go and have a look now.
Nice one.

I’ll go make a cuppa. I’m intrigued now as there is nothing else it can be other that the distance from outside of disc to where it touches the spacer has got to be different

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Hold up hold up hold up.

Your now both saying opposite things 😂

I’m confused as hell right now and the two guys I do listen to are saying opposites 😂

Edit - no your not, your saying the same thing.
I hate cars.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah and that's with the spacer the correct way round?
Yep,

With the spacer the correct way round as you have said, the disc is catching.
From looking, it will miss the bolts but it’s actually scraping on the hub carrier (think that’s what you call it)

Distance from rear face of disc where it sits against the hub is around 42/43mm
IMG_2015.jpeg

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I just don’t see what else it could be.

This was the first track day on them and the previous discs didn’t do this.

What else could it be lol, there is nothing there to go wrong really 😂

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure how it didn't make the grinding noise from the start 🤔

If it's contacting now but wasn't when fitted then it can only be that the bearing has moved or failed inside surely?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure how it didn't make the grinding noise from the start 🤔

If it's contacting now but wasn't when fitted then it can only be that the bearing has moved or failed inside surely?
Looking into that now.
Going round the father in laws who’s a mechanic he will prob see something I’m not

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Bearing does look further inside there... Could just be the angle.

But I can see what looks like a circlip that's not in place properly 🧐

Can you move the bearing at all?

Screenshot_20240407-132127.png

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Bearing does look further inside there... Could just be the angle.

But I can see what looks like a circlip that's not in place properly 🧐

Can you move the bearing at all?

View attachment 1687405
There isn’t a circlip on the side you have shown, only one on the other side.

It doesn’t look like the circlip is sitting in any type of recess either…
I’ll clean it up and get a pic

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Here are some cleaner pics.

Could it be the bearing has been pressed to far in? Or will it only go so far and it seats against something?

It didn’t make any grinding noises until around my 3rd session out on track.

IMG_2016.jpeg
IMG_2017.jpeg
IMG_2019.jpeg
IMG_2018.jpeg

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm that seems alright.

Guessing there's no play in it?
Nope, not any play.

It doesn’t look like the circlip is in any type of recess?

Looking on frogjam at the OE Brembo discs, the bearing seems to sit a lot closer to the hub face than these MTEC ones.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Nope, not any play.

It doesn’t look like the circlip is in any type of recess?

Looking on frogjam at the OE Brembo discs, the bearing seems to sit a lot closer to the hub face than these MTEC ones.

Yeah I agree, it does look that way.

The main circlip should definitely be in a groove.

Just not sure why it would start making contact all of a sudden.