ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

leeRS Clio Sport 172 ph2

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Bearing only goes in so far, cant imagine it moving out unless seriously bad tolerances/circlip doing nowt.

The bearing is also Goyou - chinas finest. Id bet my bottom dollar the bearing has failed.

Bin the disc and bearing for oem.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I agree, it does look that way.

The main circlip should definitely be in a groove.

Just not sure why it would start making contact all of a sudden.
My theory is, after many cups of tea….

The circlip hasn’t been seated properly, from MTEC factory I may add.

It didn’t make any noise to start with but when heat has got into the brakes it has allowed the bearing to slide outwards, towards the wheel.

This has then allowed the disc to sit closer to the hub and wear against the bolts / hub carrier.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Genuine SNR discs are £75 each on Autodoc currently.

Edit - they're the wrong ones actually, 26 tooth abs rings instead of 44.... Although you could fit new rings to them.

Last edited:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
My theory is, after many cups of tea….

The circlip hasn’t been seated properly, from MTEC factory I may add.

It didn’t make any noise to start with but when heat has got into the brakes it has allowed the bearing to slide outwards, towards the wheel.

This has then allowed the disc to sit closer to the hub and wear against the bolts / hub carrier.

Bearing would be held in by the hub nut, so it's the disc moving inward I'd say.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got any circlip pliers?

Could try taking it out and see where the groove is or just tap the outer race of the bearing from the front and see if it'll go back inside further.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Ok….

So further investigation has proven a massive failure with the bearings.
Either not sent out correctly from factory or very poor quality in manufacture.

Basically, the circlip had come out from its housing (unless it was never in there from the start) which allowed the bearings to slide toward the outer face.

This meant that the disc was allowed to move closer to the hub, taking out everything it rubbed against.

These discs were brand new and have only done ~50 laps at Blyton before having to call it a day as I was unsure what the noise was.

I can’t believe something marketed as a “performance” brake can fail so quickly and easily.

To test the theory, I did press back in the bearing and fixed the circlip into its original place.
The circlip - if it was even in place correctly to begin with was also upside down.

Following this mornings findings I went back down to the car to check the drivers side.
Again, this hd also failed however much worse as the bearing cover had come out which has leaked grease all over my pads.

It’s pretty much destroyed both carriers and also the majority of the bolt heads or threads attached to it.

Absolute nightmare so I will be contacting them tomorrow to see what the crack is.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
As we suspected then mate.

Rear hubs should be fine, even though it has scored them. Structurally they'll be fine.

How are your abs sensors, that's the main thing 👀

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
As we suspected then mate.

Rear hubs should be fine, even though it has scored them. Structurally they'll be fine.

How are your abs sensors, that's the main thing 👀

I will have to check the sensors.

I already get the service light on due to the airbags being removed.

Will it just be the service light if the abs sensors are broken aswell? Or is there any other way to tell

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You get SERV + ABS light mate if a sensor is dead.

Just have a look and make sure the ends haven't been chewed up by the ABS ring.

I can sort airbag light for you at CSF.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
As soon as i seen the goyou brand on the bearing i knew that would be the issue.

Sadly aftermarket rear discs and bearings have always been poor on these.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
You get SERV + ABS light mate if a sensor is dead.

Just have a look and make sure the ends haven't been chewed up by the ABS ring.

I can sort airbag light for you at CSF.
No ABS light so hopefully all good.
All the teeth looked ok on the rings.

Nice one for sorting airbag light 👍

As soon as i seen the goyou brand on the bearing i knew that would be the issue.

Sadly aftermarket rear discs and bearings have always been poor on these.
I was under the impression that MTEC were meant to be a decent brand. Clearly not.

The bearings, bar the seal on the drivers side were actually tight as hell and smooth. I think the circlip was the issue and what has lead to the failure. The groove it sat in just doesn’t look well machined at all.

I’ll just get a standard set of brembos from kam more than likely. Lesson learnt.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I am now in an email dispute with MTEC.

They are saying they have never seen this before and have not had reports of any other failings and they are speaking with their tech team.

They are happy to send me out new discs at no cost however feel they are pushing this back on my as a fitting error.

For my own sanity, these can’t be fitted wrong can they? Literally spacer on, disc on, hub nut 175nm.

What else, other than the circlip or bearing failing could cause what has happened?
Like have my hubs snapped, rear beam snapped? Any eventuality?

Keep in mind this has happened to both sides and have never had an issue with the previous discs I took off.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I am now in an email dispute with MTEC.

They are saying they have never seen this before and have not had reports of any other failings and they are speaking with their tech team.

They are happy to send me out new discs at no cost however feel they are pushing this back on my as a fitting error.

For my own sanity, these can’t be fitted wrong can they? Literally spacer on, disc on, hub nut 175nm.

What else, other than the circlip or bearing failing could cause what has happened?
Like have my hubs snapped, rear beam snapped? Any eventuality?

Keep in mind this has happened to both sides and have never had an issue with the previous discs I took off.
100% faulty part. f**k em.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Image of drivers side which I took off after above emails to check.

713E3556-AE5D-4059-A61C-F6DD1DBFA3D0.jpeg
009BF6EB-1AA5-46BA-9D0D-9B992D10529D.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
It's not the first story I've read on MTEC discs tbh.

I would certainly consider requesting a refund and investing in a higher-quality product. It's concerning that the bearing is moving so freely, especially considering the importance of reliability, particularly when hooning into high-speed corners. I wouldn't put my safety at risk with subpar components in my car.

My rear discs were changed once on my circuit car in 2018 when I purchased it. 30 plus track days later and no issues. The new owner has been racing it in 750MC for the last two years and is still on the same disc, just different pads.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
They are an absolute s**t show.

After waiting for their “technicians” to get in touch they sent me an email saying that I hadn’t fit the spacers behind the disc.
They then moved onto “oh it’s because you have a stud nut kit fitted”
What, like every other track car you supply “performance” brakes for?
Then they said it’s because my calipers have rust on them.
Then they said some b****cks about lateral spread.

This then followed with me giving them a mouthful to which they have no refunded me in full, plus covered the costs of the pads that have grease all over them which were brand new.

Even though I’ve got my money back I’m still not happy with how they have gone about it and tried to blame something which I know is incorrect on why the failure has happened.

I would advise nobody to use MTEC in the future.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
They are an absolute s**t show.

After waiting for their “technicians” to get in touch they sent me an email saying that I hadn’t fit the spacers behind the disc.
They then moved onto “oh it’s because you have a stud nut kit fitted”
What, like every other track car you supply “performance” brakes for?
Then they said it’s because my calipers have rust on them.
Then they said some b****cks about lateral spread.

This then followed with me giving them a mouthful to which they have no refunded me in full, plus covered the costs of the pads that have grease all over them which were brand new.

Even though I’ve got my money back I’m still not happy with how they have gone about it and tried to blame something which I know is incorrect on why the failure has happened.

I would advise nobody to use MTEC in the future.
Result I'd say.

Now go and get some proper ones 🤣