ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lancer Evolution Appreciation Thread

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
E6F2FB21-78BA-4689-A5AD-619D8F242EC3.jpeg
4EF96FB6-164E-492C-BF7B-B66DA427D724.jpeg
765275CF-6F93-47D4-9671-0F233CC68CD8.jpeg
0B5FB932-FE86-44B9-A071-8FC6C792207F.jpeg
DFEF9358-1809-45E3-BB44-DE848DE4B142.jpeg
0BC8BC54-3C3E-4E77-8906-0C7013A74C01.jpeg
D8FCCFA6-23C1-4D1E-9102-20BC1E95B032.jpeg
27A43D1A-C99B-4886-B2ED-85F245FFBBD9.jpeg
E10F9658-15A2-475C-B620-2DCE8F7BF058.jpeg

My E5 RS.

Currently at CPP getting fully serviced and geometry done before going up for sale.

Got something else coming and this just doesn’t get used.

I’ve covered less than 500 miles in the 3 years I’ve owned it.

As far as I know it’s 1 of 3 known to exist in red.

I’d love to hear if any others out there.

Think there is one in Ireland that is highly modified and apparently another in New Zealand.

Evo 5 RS
Yeah that cars had some serious love put into it.

I don't think I'm even going to take mine out over Easter as it's just set to rain literally all day every day.
Driving over to the unit on Tuesday with a fresh can of VPower and just going to drive it all day hopefully.

Hah, my wife won't even sit in it, never has. I've had it 16 months now.

Being a hoot, it's 19 years old this year. I'm sure a new S3 would give good chase, but be dull as f**k in comparison.

Mines been out in it, she hates it. Absolutely *hates* it. Doesn't help it literally vibrates the house when I start it up in the morning

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that cars had some serious love put into it.

I don't think I'm even going to take mine out over Easter as it's just set to rain literally all day every day.
Driving over to the unit on Tuesday with a fresh can of VPower and just going to drive it all day hopefully.

Mines been out in it, she hates it. Absolutely *hates* it. Doesn't help it literally vibrates the house when I start it up in the morning
I must have the only wife that appreciates such things. She only ever drove it once and left it in 2nd gear, screaming and giggling all the way.

If i had another tomorrow, she'd definitely be driving it.

Evo 5 RS
If I got her to drive it she would probably love it, too. She's never driven a 'high powered' car beyond her 2ltr CRV, though. She did ask one time last year if she could take it to get a McDonald's breakfast as her car was in for work.

Yeah, no.

Evo 5 RS
lol old boy at the local testing station was having NONE of it. He's nice as pie but emissions were LOL. Geting it sorted on Thursday. Still, got to put a few miles on it despite the crappy weather still. Bit of an eye opener after 6 months in a 1.8 Ztec

lol, he said "don't they normally tune it out for stuff like this?"

What, no cat? That would be f**king clever wouldn't it :D

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
Also it's been out less than 48 hours this year and already someone has "noticed" and mentioned to my other half about the noise (she works at the local school).
Uuuuuhhhgh I'm sorrrrrry (I think)

Evo 5 RS
To be fair he has a baby. He noticed it yesterday and I was literally home in it about 2 hours during the middle of the day and left lol. I don't normally leave till about 8:30 so not super early and don't come back in it at stupid hours.

What's funny is it's a rat run, constantly hear cars going through about 8 gears all the way from the bottom. If I drove like some of these muppets down here I'd end up going back in time (or more likely something stepping out and me killing them).

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Car sailed through, they were very complimentary about the condition. Set of new wipers is all it took and some good old fashion pleading. There's no way a decatted evo will ever legitimately pass todays emmissions test.

It’s all about finding a decent test centre and not being a moron. Lols.

I can’t remember which year is the cut off for cats, maybe 1992?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

If its a JDM import then I believe the tester will find it impossible to find an exact match on the system for it but can't remember the workaround.

Evo 5 RS

I read 1996 but that was a while ago so not sure. Either way, yeah they could have put it through for me no problem. Probably twice as 'safe' as half the cars that go through that happen to have a cat in. My Mrs car being one of them.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
If its a JDM import then I believe the tester will find it impossible to find an exact match on the system for it but can't remember the workaround.

I suppose it depends how it was imported, on the SVA / type-approval / co2 readings, I couldn't even tell you from memory what my UK 6 V5/C says.

I read 1996 but that was a while ago so not sure. Either way, yeah they could have put it through for me no problem. Probably twice as 'safe' as half the cars that go through that happen to have a cat in. My Mrs car being one of them.

Yeah, unless its throwing loads of fuel down the exhaust, for the lols.

Evo 5 RS
I suppose it depends how it was imported, on the SVA / type-approval / co2 readings, I couldn't even tell you from memory what my UK 6 V5/C says.

Yeah, unless its throwing loads of fuel down the exhaust, for the lols.
lol, yeah. It doesn't even smell that rich normally! I had most of the silly stuff mapped out when the 80 series was fitted. Still lets out the odd flame and pop but not constant. Burnt off most of the old fuel from last year now too.

Rb 182
Had it out a couple of times now. And I do enjoy the car. Always turns heads when it's out.

The wheels are really white it's the bodywork that's off white.

Half tempted to sell it this year. But we'll see

Evo 5 RS
Had it out a couple of times now. And I do enjoy the car. Always turns heads when it's out.

The wheels are really white it's the bodywork that's off white.

Half tempted to sell it this year. But we'll see

Nothing a good polish won't sort :D
They certainly get attention albeit some of it bad. Only sell if someone makes you a silly offer unless you really need to shift it

Evo 5 RS
Had the car out this week for work. Changed the HKS panel filter as forgot I had a spare, gave the car a once over with Vantage wax and simply added Vpower!
I'm still massively happy with just how much of a difference the 80 series hybrid has made. The car just wants to go. Most of the time I find myself in low boost! (350bhp). There is a bit of a trade-off, however, as it can be snappy letting off. The 80 series was really designed with Mivec in mind featured on the Evo 9, which my car doesn't have. It's not intrusive or violent, just something that's there occasionally when making pace down tut b-roads and coming off the pedal (there's your answer, Mike. Don't let off). There's a lot more progression there now, too. Although not sure if it's more noticeable as I would have been overboosting last year due to the actuator.

Bottom line, at 1.6 bar it absolutely flies. I can't imagine how some of these guys run 5 to 600hp on our roads. They must live in a better part of the country than I do.

Want to get the rear bumper done at some point after minor service in May, but have a spare set of Brembos that I'm going to take to God Speed first to get refurbished, save me not being able to use the car. Then last but not least, get the geometry done.

MRM_1253_resize.JPG
MRM_1252_resize.JPG

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Had the car out this week for work. Changed the HKS panel filter as forgot I had a spare, gave the car a once over with Vantage wax and simply added Vpower!
I'm still massively happy with just how much of a difference the 80 series hybrid has made. The car just wants to go. Most of the time I find myself in low boost! (350bhp). There is a bit of a trade-off, however, as it can be snappy letting off. The 80 series was really designed with Mivec in mind featured on the Evo 9, which my car doesn't have. It's not intrusive or violent, just something that's there occasionally when making pace down tut b-roads and coming off the pedal (there's your answer, Mike. Don't let off). There's a lot more progression there now, too. Although not sure if it's more noticeable as I would have been overboosting last year due to the actuator.

Bottom line, at 1.6 bar it absolutely flies. I can't imagine how some of these guys run 5 to 600hp on our roads. They must live in a better part of the country than I do.

Want to get the rear bumper done at some point after minor service in May, but have a spare set of Brembos that I'm going to take to God Speed first to get refurbished, save me not being able to use the car. Then last but not least, get the geometry done.

View attachment 1363859 View attachment 1363860
For the geo go to torque developments at Lakeside, that's where mine was done last year and will be going back once finished.

Evo 5 RS
Looks so menacing from that angle!

Just bought a pair of refurbed rear brembos. Not sure what I want to do up front yet. The brakes feel like a real weak point on the car when pushing on. Stop tech pads up front on fairly new discs, tempted to try out some pagids.

On the look out for FQ400 Alcons. Really want to keep it as OE as possible.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Looks so menacing from that angle!

Just bought a pair of refurbed rear brembos. Not sure what I want to do up front yet. The brakes feel like a real weak point on the car when pushing on. Stop tech pads up front on fairly new discs, tempted to try out some pagids.

On the look out for FQ400 Alcons. Really want to keep it as OE as possible.

I am very very very impressed with my girodisc floaters up front. The biggest killer for Evo front brakes is heat.

The giro floaters haven’t started juddering in all the abuse I throw at them, even an august track day they were rock solid all day.

Less impressed with the dust and noise of the carbotech xp8, I hope their track performance outweighs ruining the paint on my TE37s!

I want to keep my 17’s to keep some kind of sidewall, but most big brake kits want 18” minimum sadly.

Evo 5 RS
I am very very very impressed with my girodisc floaters up front. The biggest killer for Evo front brakes is heat.

The giro floaters haven’t started juddering in all the abuse I throw at them, even an august track day they were rock solid all day.

Less impressed with the dust and noise of the carbotech xp8, I hope their track performance outweighs ruining the paint on my TE37s!

I want to keep my 17’s to keep some kind of sidewall, but most big brake kits want 18” minimum sadly.

Did the car come with the two piece Adam? How much did you pay if not if don't mind me asking? Are you running just fronts or rears too?

Just bought a set of refurbished/sealed rear Brembos for £180

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Did the car come with the two piece Adam? How much did you pay if not if don't mind me asking? Are you running just fronts or rears too?

Just bought a set of refurbished/sealed rear Brembos for £180
I've just bought DBA disc's for mine with bell and rota up front.
I've ditched the Performance friction pads as they where rubbish so that was £200 wasted.

I have replaced them with Project MU HC800 which get great reviews.

Evo 5 RS
I've just bought DBA disc's for mine with bell and rota up front.
I've ditched the Performance friction pads as they where rubbish so that was £200 wasted.

I have replaced them with Project MU HC800 which get great reviews.

Was looking at DBA 2pc. May have to bite the bullet. Not long had the stoptec pads up front and the whole system was bled last September. Just don't have much confidence in how the car feels under braking at the moment generally.

Evo 5 RS
lol, review of the 2 Piece option from MTEC

Bought these to replace yet another warped standard disc. They look amazing and great brake feel and bite.
Only negative thing is that I had to grind the diameter of the drive flange down slightly as the bell wasn't going flush to the hub
C.

Evo 5 RS
That makes me feel better, cheers :smiley: lol.

A lot of people seem to warp the fronts so I think it's a worthy investment especially if running mroe power. Plus being able to stop is somewhat important :smiley:.

The full K Sport kit is only a little more upfront, but I'd rather retain the stock calipers.