ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this insane?

Lupo GTI
Right; I don't know if this is possible so I'm going to ask those who do know and any information, prices, etc I can get so be it.

My sunroof on my clio leaks when it feels like it. Some days it'll pour down and i'll be fine; other days it'll trickle down from the sky and I'll be getting wet whilst driving and with the winter coming up and myself not able to drive due to a knee operation I thought I might aswell sort a few things out on the car.

Now my question:

Is it possible to have the sunroof removed, some metal / whatever to fill it in, welded in I imagine, sealed and then sprayed so I no longer have a sunroof?

Obviously I'd have to source a 172/182 roof lining, remove my old one and I'm good to go.

Now I've thought about how silly this may sound but I have no clue whether or not this would be possible?

Help?! Please!

Civic Type R
I cant think of any reason why it would not be possible. I would imagine they would weld a piece in.. fill it and spray it. Then you would need a new roof lining... I hear changing the roof lining is a right pain in the arse though, i could be wrong?!

Lupo GTI
yeah I was thinking that's what they'd do to.
I'm just looking for someone to confirm it and maybe shot me a silly price my way of how much they think.

Ah really. Well I suppose it'll be better than a squeeky / leaky sunroof tbh.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It will never EVER look factory. The roof panel is too flexible for that amount of filler.

take the glass out, remove the frame, silicone around the hole, refit frame, silicone around the rubber in the frame, refit glass. Done.

Just means you can never open your sunroof again though.

Lupo GTI
It will never EVER look factory. The roof panel is too flexible for that amount of filler.

take the glass out, remove the frame, silicone around the hole, refit frame, silicone around the rubber in the frame, refit glass. Done.

Just means you can never open your sunroof again though.

Ah :( I wonder if it's ever been done on a clio before.

As for the sunroof, I don't open it anyway, when I do open it in squeeks and drives me mad. Think it's time I bought myself a PH1 172, I've been needing an excuse.

Did Batman not do it on his conversion.

Pretty sure they removed the welds on a 172 roof and transferred it over onto the conversion.

Lupo GTI
Did Batman not do it on his conversion.

Pretty sure they removed the welds on a 172 roof and transferred it over onto the conversion.

Just looked at his sold thread. Sunroof is still there :dapprove:

I got excited there :(

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
what daniel said is actually how you fix the sunroof, you take it out seale it in the body then take the rubber seal out that just sits under the glas, renew it but bond it in. if we get a leaking clio that we've sold we send it down the road to the east kilbride sunroof centre who charge us £75 for doing the above, and the roof works and we havent had a single one come back. opposed to the £500 "fix" renault advise of a new sun roof thati'll leak again.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i would never ever have a sunroof welded up . wont look right unless its been really really well done ! and will crack soon as a pidgeon lands on it .

you can have a new roof panel fitted but its not cheap at all , you could probs buy a non sR model with the money you would of spent

Mk2 172
I cant think of any reason why it would not be possible. I would imagine they would weld a piece in.. fill it and spray it. Then you would need a new roof lining... I hear changing the roof lining is a right pain in the arse though, i could be wrong?!

absolute piece of cake to remove and refit roof lining

1992 Clio 1.8 16v Red
Can and has been done, though you need a good welder, the Mk1 boys do it all the time, or they cut the whole roof pannel off and still a willy roof on :p

TBH my look would be get the glass and gubbins out cut a Nice bit of ally, get some sealer around teh edge and rivit it on, it'll NEVER leak (put money on it, as A/C do it and i have done this stuff)
and looks cool as f**K :p

M2 Competition
Just do what Daniel has said. It'll look like you have a sunroof, but you wont be able to open it (no-one ever does anyway), and solves the problem a treat.