ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internet speed thread.

1869405770.png

BT Infinity, roughly 4km to the Dslam (green cabinet) and then 50m from the cab to the house. I did all the Fibre Optic splicing from the exchange to the cabinet to be double sure that's half decent! ;)

I have a Furukawa one. The S178A (Or Fitel)

http://www.3sae.com/products/fitel-s178-fusion-splicer.php

Those sumitomo ones look a bit overkill??

Who do you work for Rich? That unit looks alright, looks good for business installs as it looks small/light/compactt hough the Sumitomo does the job having two heaters to make splicing quicker! When you've got up to 276 fibre to splice straight through in a day you need something up to it and pretty efficient!

Bumder With A Buffer
I work for a few companies, one of them being Sunsea. Developing OTDR and fibre optic testing.

I may look into the Sumitomo one as I really dont like this Furukuwa one.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
0265b0e1-8eb3-65fe.jpg

Disappointing as it should be minimum of 90mb from virgins Fibre optic...
The upload sounds about right though. Might just be a slow spell for you. Will be reet in an hour probably.

Dodgy one
1875908104.png

I thought my connection was w**k :eek:

Normally it rocks around the 15-16mb mark, But ive got itunes and a few downloads on the go.

Bumder With A Buffer
A question that I cant seem to get answered (or maybe understand...)

My router reckons it is synced up to the dslam at 8mb...yet any speed test done is never near that. Why?

Something Not French
BT Infinity - cheapest package.

7050061729_05164cb190_b.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-06 at 09.02.38.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-04-06 at 09.02.38.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
WTF. As some of you geeks may be aware, I have recently put my VM Super Hub into modem-only mode and added my own router. Now my speeds are consistently higher than what I should be getting. This is on a 50mb package;

1882076912.png

That's wireless as well.

Haven't virgin recently upped their speed? My mate pays for 50meg. But regularly sees mid 60's

Not sure mate. Quite possibly. Although for me, this only happened after adding the new router. I suppose it could be a coincidence with the timing. I'm not sure why they would up the speed beyond what is advertised, but f**k it, I'm not complaining! Saw 80+mb yesterday.

A shiny black one.
It's been a result for me as I have had my speed bumped up to 120 and my charges dropped to what 50mb customers paid before the increase. Getting around 105-110mb speeds too.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Why do people need such high speeds? Can't imagine ever needing higher than what I have atm. Mine's totally free anyway so happy :D

1882159139.png

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
The STM will become more aggressive over time.. when they rolled out the 50meg there was no STM to encourage people to buy.. now they have them hooked introduce the STM and cut their speed by up to 75%

What is the point in paying top money for a connection you aren't allowed to take advantage of ?

*Edit* they are still the best out of all residention ISP's though. lol

Last edited:
  Tesla MP3 2021
Not liking the looks of this STM policy, one download alone (40GB) will bring it to its knee's!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Too it's knees seems a little extreme. IMO anyway. Depends what you're used to I suppose. I'm not fussed about STM. When I get bumped up to 60Mb, the lowest it will ever go is 30Mb with restrictions. That's still about 10x faster than what I can get down the phone line. Meh.

Tesla MP3 2021
Well a 50% reduction is extreme from them imo especially when your paying for a 100Mb service. They should have set the fair use amount on the 100Mb service to 50GB or maybe even higher, I mean people who use this service are typically downloading large amounts hence why they wanted it in the first place!