ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internet speed thread.

Tesla MP3 2021
LOL - I am upto 27GB on a current download and I am still getting 110Mbps!

Last edited:
  LY 172
Let's be honest, we could rant and rave all day about the speed being reduced. But virgin know their still providing higher speeds than anyone else. Even at 50%
Not like we're gona go running to sky..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^ True, like I said they are still the best ISP. I wish Infinity was an option in my area though.

And to put things in perspective my first internet connection was a 14.4 modem lol - first 'proper' connection was Blueyonder @ 512k which I thought was mental fast :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Too it's knees seems a little extreme. IMO anyway. Depends what you're used to I suppose. I'm not fussed about STM. When I get bumped up to 60Mb, the lowest it will ever go is 30Mb with restrictions. That's still about 10x faster than what I can get down the phone line. Meh.

I prefer them just capping the speeds.. some months I have downloaded over 500GB lol

But then I pay for the top service because I know I am a heavy user. I could pay for the lower service and leave it downloading 24/7... i'm considerate like that ;)

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I've experienced throttling from 3.7mb down to 15kb

Way more than 50% reduction in speed

Torrent program traffic is targeted more though I suppose

Cripes. I just downloaded the newest episode of South Park at 12MBps, so I've definitely been upgraded to 100mb.

It was finished almost as soon as it had peaked. Awesome.

Just a heads up. If anyone is on infinity you can log into your BT account tomorrow and upgrade to 80Mb for free (although it starts a new contract with them).

Audi S1
100MB VM package

Wireless
iPhone - 35-40MB
iMac - 35-40MB

LAN
iMac - 85-100MB

A bit annoyed with my wireless speeds though, tried playing with the router settings and changing the frequency to 5GHz but for some reason that kicks off my iPhone (doesn't even see the wireless network) but the iMac wireless increases by 3-5MB...

I've just ordered some powerlines.

Audi S1
The iPhone doesn't support 5GHz over 802.11n :(

That would explain why it doesn't see the router then :eek:

I would have still thought the connection speeds would have been better than 35MB though over wireless. Sucks, because I've just had to spend another £35 to benefit the full 100MB, losing 10MB I could live with but losing 50-60MB is silly.

A shiny black one.
1889941829.png

That would explain why it doesn't see the router then :eek:

I would have still thought the connection speeds would have been better than 35MB though over wireless. Sucks, because I've just had to spend another £35 to benefit the full 100MB, losing 10MB I could live with but losing 50-60MB is silly.

The limit with those speeds is pretty standard tbh, you'd be lucky to see over 35Mbit!

1892565553.png

BT Infinity after upgrade, about 600m from the cabinet. Pretty happy with that. Get a solid 8mb/s from Rapidshare so that's all that matters :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if the BT upgrade is worth it.

Renewed contract for another 18 months which I've just finished and my predicted speed is 50/12, I get 37/8 now.

What did you all get predicted?

Mine was predicted around 62mb. Having logged in to the modem my attainable rate is 72mb so I'm hoping the speed will increase over the next 10 days. My IP profile is 66mb on BT Speedtest. Iv only had Infinity 3 months so it was a no brainer really. The upload speed is also good on BT compared to other providers which is helpful with Dropbox.

Not sure if the BT upgrade is worth it.

Renewed contract for another 18 months which I've just finished and my predicted speed is 50/12, I get 37/8 now.

What did you all get predicted?

Been predicted 57/20, but by the looks of it being very very close to cabinet should get a lot more :)

I usually get the max 38/39 + 9 so touch wood! Should be done by Monday!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I've decided it's not worth another contract for the small speed increase, but yeh, no brainer if you have only just got it.

Yeah if mine had said 50 then I wouldn't bother. Have you tried logging in to the modem to see what it's attainable rate is as that will give you a better indication than BT. It's pretty easy to do and there's instructions available.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah if mine had said 50 then I wouldn't bother. Have you tried logging in to the modem to see what it's attainable rate is as that will give you a better indication than BT. It's pretty easy to do and there's instructions available.

Got a link to a guide, got a HH3 :eek:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
1894622436.png

More than happy with my talktalk connection. Costs fcuk all really compared with what i used to pay and the speed i used to get with BT.

We're 8 months in, but we renewed, still not got it yet but should get it tonight. At the end of the day there's nobody else offering any such speeds here so a new contract is fine for us, I know Sky are bringing their fttc out which i believe is using the same stuff, but we've had absolutely no problems with BT Infinity so no reason to not stay with them :)

1894622436.png

More than happy with my talktalk connection. Costs fcuk all really compared with what i used to pay and the speed i used to get with BT.

Depends what you use it for tbh, I would not be happy with that at all but then I have 2 other people using the internet and I use lot of bandwidth :)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I don't download much really. But i game online a lot, and stream sky go/iplayer from the xbox and its great, rarely buffers, not had any issues at all yet. Its either talktalk or bt in my area - i was paying £19 a month for a 2mb BT connection!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
We're 8 months in, but we renewed, still not got it yet but should get it tonight. At the end of the day there's nobody else offering any such speeds here so a new contract is fine for us, I know Sky are bringing their fttc out which i believe is using the same stuff, but we've had absolutely no problems with BT Infinity so no reason to not stay with them :)

Got to say I agree, I was going to move to Sky on Friday, but by the time I lose the free flickr you get with BT the saving is minimal, especially when BT have been spot on so far which is worth more than a few £ a month saving.

Bumder With A Buffer
Nuts hey?!

Apparently there is nothing wrong with my speed though as the router shows its connected at 8 meg (according to the retards at sky). Yes I KNOW thats what the router says but thats not what im seeing.

"Are you saying it feels more like 1 meg rather then 8 meg sir?"

NO im telling you what it actually is FFS..there is no "what it feels like" this is what it is.

Its like banging your head against a brickwall. Im gonna bring our new toy home from work and test the bloody thing myself as they are sooo incompetent.

Goliath I
I had the same problem with orange. Running at less than 1 meg and being told the line was at maximum.

It was only we enquired about changing with Sky and they went ahead and switched the line anyway, I started seeing around 12 meg which is a BIG difference. We moaned at Sky as we hadn't authorised it, got 6 months free and stayed with them anyway :)