ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I seem to have a Clio 162 :(

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just had a thought as well. Would sticking brake calipers hinder this as well. Not that I know if they are or not but easy to check!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry to hear your results mate :(

I've heard of a few 172's below book figures but not 162bhp. :(

Where did you say it got RR'd again ?

172 ps is 166.6 hp is it not?
4hp down isnt too terrible really considering

He was 10bhp down on 172s that ran on the same RR on the same day though.

10bhp istn a massive difference though. Did you check your tyre pressures before you went?

Rb 182
Tyre pressures are checked and adjusted as ness. Ran at 32psi on the day.

John i recon for a 100 quid the decat isnt bad. Keep the CAT in the garage and well change it at MOT time. But the decat wont remove the cheap pattern part rear box.

Darren was really happy with the quality of his exhaust on the Cup from CRD.

MIght be worth the trip up for a price on a stelth.

Get the plugs done . Cheap to do and will rule that out.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
If i ran 162 bhp mate i would be happy, the engine is probably just needing a fresh going over:) now ive got problems i will stick up my graph soon for all to see, massive power drop between 3k-5k up then dives down at the end again:dapprove:

Rb 182
If i ran 162 bhp mate i would be happy, the engine is probably just needing a fresh going over:) now ive got problems i will stick up my graph soon for all to see, massive power drop between 3k-5k up then dives down at the end again:dapprove:

Yeah your was gutting, somthing defo not right there. I would have mines on ebay by now :(

Astra van,Mk1 nova

Yeah your was gutting, somthing defo not right there. I would have mines on ebay by now :(

NA lol i have 2 years warrenty on him and will be getting it fixed for nothing as i bought the car like that from evanshalshaw:) first thing im getting them to do is change the back box:rolleyes: its not even a 172 backbox:evil: then the cats getting checked then onto the engine, compresion tests etc but its something simple as the engine runs as sweet as a nut doesnt burn any fluids and doesnt over heat:S strange

Rb 182

NA lol i have 2 years warrenty on him and will be getting it fixed for nothing as i bought the car like that from evanshalshaw:) first thing im getting them to do is change the back box:rolleyes: its not even a 172 backbox:evil: then the cats getting checked then onto the engine, compresion tests etc but its something simple as the engine runs as sweet as a nut doesnt burn any fluids and doesnt over heat:S strange

Hmmm. you gotta watch warrs though. Ensure that it will ALL be covered.

It dont sound 100% right when on the rollers, you love it when its at the correct bhp!!

LY 182

John i recon for a 100 quid the decat isnt bad. Keep the CAT in the garage and well change it at MOT time. But the decat wont remove the cheap pattern part rear box.

decat for 100 quid? any more info on that one mate as im having bad cases of tight wallet syndrome paying ktec 120 quid for a straight bit of pipe
for a ph2 btw

Rb 182

decat for 100 quid? any more info on that one mate as im having bad cases of tight wallet syndrome paying ktec 120 quid for a straight bit of pipe
for a ph2 btw

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2034

Just over the Ton but worth it

53 Clio's & counting
quick question mate which no ones asked,what does she drive/perform like?

reason im asking is i realise your a bit down that you didnt match others figures,but to be fair mate stuff what a rolling road says,if it goes well and you still like driving her as much as you did before this rolling road then id still be happy :)

Rb 182
quick question mate which no ones asked,what does she drive/perform like?

reason im asking is i realise your a bit down that you didnt match others figures,but to be fair mate stuff what a rolling road says,if it goes well and you still like driving her as much as you did before this rolling road then id still be happy :)

It goes very very well mate, never noticed it to be down on power.

I think the result is not as good as he expected, still a good run in my eyes.

The 172 (or 162 now :p) was always going to be tuned but i think the result will see some mods sooner to get it back to what it should be.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I remain unconvinced! Btw it was 123.8bhp at the wheels, how does that compare?

123.8 bhp at the wheels does NOT correspond to 162 bhp at the flywheel.

That's way to high an amount of power (23.6%) to be lost in the drivetrain in a transverse front wheel drive car. The right number is about 15%, or even lower. What that says is that there's serious questions about that dyno and/or its operator. You can't rely on the numbers he's giving you.

However that doesn't answer the question of why your car produced less power than other cars tested on the day that it shouldn't have produced less power than. People can suggest possible reasons, but without evidence of which of the great many of them it could be, you and we have no idea. All they suggest is what it might be worth you investigating first.

Looking at the dyno chart you posted your car looks like it would feel strong in normal road driving. It has a lot of torque at low revs. Rather than your car having a fault that's subtracting power, it looks more like its tuned for torque rather than power. That points the finger at something like cam timing. Was the cam belt put on one tooth out, or somehow incorrectly? Is the VVT fully advancing?

Last edited:

Has your backbox got a join on it mate where it meets the centre section ?

Meaning does the backbox slide together onto the centre exhaust section and clamp with an exhaust clamp ?

Cos if it does have a clamp its been replaced at somepoint.

Reason i'm asking is the exhausts standard are all one piece from the cat back from the ranault factory and the pipe from the backbox from centre section needs cut to remove backbox.

And would fitting the wrong backbox from the same age of clio (eg. 1.2, 1.4 etc) really affect power figures ? :S

I thought thats where your power would come in and increae on your power graph ?

With the system the Rs has thats similar to VVti :S

Could it be a sensor attached related to your VVti (or 5k kick as its called) that is causing the problems ?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I thought thats where your power would come in and increae on your power graph ?

With the system the Rs has thats similar to VVti :S

Could it be a sensor attached related to your VVti (or 5k kick as its called) that is causing the problems ?

Not being funny mate but if you dont know what you're talking about then dont give advice! The 5k kick is the cam coming into its optimum range, NOTHING to do with vvt. Dont mean to be harsh but you could lead others on a merry dance.

Bet that decat is a pain in the arse to fit ?

With one flange so far up the back of engine :(

I have access to garage ramps so will make it easier. But yes, will be a pain in the ring.

I remain unconvinced! Btw it was 123.8bhp at the wheels, how does that compare?

123.8 bhp at the wheels does NOT correspond to 162 bhp at the flywheel.

That's way to high an amount of power (23.6%) to be lost in the drivetrain in a transverse front wheel drive car. The right number is about 15%, or even lower. What that says is that there's serious questions about that dyno and/or its operator. You can't rely on the numbers he's giving you.

However that doesn't answer the question of why your car produced less power than other cars tested on the day that it shouldn't have produced less power than. People can suggest possible reasons, but without evidence of which of the great many of them it could be, you and we have no idea. All they suggest is what it might be worth you investigating first.

Looking at the dyno chart you posted your car looks like it would feel strong in normal road driving. It has a lot of torque at low revs. Rather than your car having a fault that's subtracting power, it looks more like its tuned for torque rather than power. That points the finger at something like cam timing. Was the cam belt put on one tooth out, or somehow incorrectly? Is the VVT fully advancing?

Any easy way of checking this? Would that not cos running issues or possibly even bent valves?!

It does drive well and pulls well from low down. Certainly isnt slow but I do want the full potential from a car that costs a mini fortune for me to do my 20000 miles a year in!

ST

Meaning does the backbox slide together onto the centre exhaust section and clamp with an exhaust clamp ?

Reason i'm asking is the exhausts standard are all one piece from the cat back from the ranault factory and the pipe from the backbox from centre section needs cut to remove backbox.

And would fitting the wrong backbox from the same age of clio (eg. 1.2, 1.4 etc) really affect power figures ? :S

Its not physically possible, both the 1.2 and 2.0 systems are so different, to be fair people were clutching at straws yesterday when throwing ideas around of how that lads cup only made 131bhp.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Yeah it sounded as if it was sort of being held back so to speak..

How do you mean mate? from the front of the car it sounded alright but im no mechanic and would not really be qualified to say:dapprove: some of the guys said that it sounded rough from the back almost like wet farts lol

The correct figures were 129.9 bhp with 125 lb torque, wuld a simple compresion test find out about the stick valve situation that another member had

as for the exhaust situation there has been a join where the back box meets the centre section and then another weld after that again, the cat looks like its away to crumble apart any day also lol
Any info would be much appreciated to arm myself for when renault come out with a load of bullsh1t:)

ST
It just didn't sound right compared with other 172/182's that were running, there was a sort of grinding noise as if the car was struggling.

Are you having it checked over at the dealer?

Astra van,Mk1 nova
It just didn't sound right compared with other 172/182's that were running, there was a sort of grinding noise as if the car was struggling.

Are you having it checked over at the dealer?

Yeah its gettin booked in on monday, with kev's??? number and the graphs etc wanting everything checked and a new exhaust system as i bought it with the wrong one on it, they should of checked it before it left the showroom imo, im going to chance it anyway;)

Lots of Alfas

All the 172 exhausts are 2 piece, centre section and back box are separate pieces that clamp together just above the rear beam.

Lionel Richie
get the plugs out and find someone with an endoscope that can have a look inside the engine

or remove the inlet manifold and turn the engine by hand to check to see if the inlet valves are opening

i know of 1 mk1 172 that made 150bhp, problem was a knackered lambda

and i also know of another that was a 15V from new! that made around 135bhp and would not rev past about 6500rpm, didn't hit the limiter, just stopped reving

Astra van,Mk1 nova
get the plugs out and find someone with an endoscope that can have a look inside the engine

or remove the inlet manifold and turn the engine by hand to check to see if the inlet valves are opening

i know of 1 mk1 172 that made 150bhp, problem was a knackered lambda

and i also know of another that was a 15V from new! that made around 135bhp and would not rev past about 6500rpm, didn't hit the limiter, just stopped reving

good question, i never heard it hit the limiter but with the other 172/182's i did, did anyone else?
I will post up the rr graph later on and see what you think, might be able to tell alot from it
if fact here is the link to the rr video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kczVbMXn8a4

What you think?