ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hit a rock and it's put a hole in sump

172 Cup.
So I'm currently stranded waiting on the rac as there was two or three medium sized rocks on the road. I'm on a country road which is very windy and elevated so it's hard to see what's around every corner and so didn't have time to avoid them or slow down much at all. I went over the middle of them and heard a bang and seen the rock spinning in my rear view mirror. I drove about 100 yards and pulled over to see if it had caused any damage and there was oil pissing out my sump. I turned the car off straight away and it's emptied the oil everywhere. So my question is will it be a matter of replacing the sump and that's it or what?

Lovely day though.

330i. E30 Touring.
A lot of times, the lack of oil pressure is enough to cause damage.

Might be lucky though. I'd change the sump, fill with oil again and hope you've been lucky.

172 Cup.
I don't think it had been low enough for the oil pressure to be dangerously low. Took a couple of minutes once the car was switched off for it to be drained. Light wasn't on before I switched it off either.

182T
Smashed mine on a targa rally sometime back, stopped at a check point a few seconds after the impact, got my signature and floored it off up the gravel track, up to second, looked in mirror and saw bellows of smoked, pulled over, turned her off, empty within a minute. New sump and gasket, shes been fine since. Hopefully you're ok if you turned off pretty quickly - bit of a pain to change lying on your back tho, good luck, hope shes fine.

20151007_172633.jpg