ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High mileage Clio 1*2

Having seen a few nice cars with 120k+ miles I thought it would be worth asking if this would put anybody off? Is it the typical 'as long as the service history is good' ? Wouldn't bother me on most cars but I'm new to these and trying not to make yet another bad decision when it comes to cars!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Down to preference really. I've allways opted for lower mileage cars. Mine has done 105 and it seems to run spot on. Most on here will say history over miles as tbh this has been covered before. It's whatever you feel comfortable with imo.

My previous ph1 had done 125k, was fine. Didn't drink oil & was still a well paced car.

Current ones on 104k & the same applies, though I can't see this one making 125k due to future build

Mine has just reached 103k runs beautifully no issues at all. I do change the oil every 4k though. May be a bit excessive but i have piece of mind. Pulls very well also

172 rag
Mine is on 123K doesnt drink oil and touch wood it works spot on.
change the oil regularly, dont thrash it cold and nothing to worry about.
A mate has a williams with almost 190K the whole thing is falling apart but the engine is still sweet.
I prefer a 100k + miles car with few owners than a 50K one with a dozen. ?

I have a 124k mile 172 (recently undergoing a track build) and a 60k mile 182 Cup (literally hit 60k two days ago) and the 172 is comfortably quicker. These engines seem to like miles. History is a big thing though.

High mileage cars have been looked after, how would it get to high mileage otherwise? i had a Trophy on 156k, it was perfect.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
My first Clio 182 was bought on 45k miles and it was a real shitter, wanted for thousands... second one was bought on 109k and now sitting happy on 123k and it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned, says it all really!

Thanks for the replies everyone, comforting to know.

Sorry if it has been covered, I tried Google searching under this site but they were old threads and a high mileage was considered 70k

Mine has 125k and I must have replaced everything last year with receipts to prove.
Also comes with a 16gig card of wife pics.

Sounds like it's for sale? Any info...

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I always used to worry about miles. Until now, got my works van in 2013 only on 34k but I've abused it like something else, something no one would know if buying. I used to assume lower the miles the better it will be, now I know lol

Astra GSI, Clio 172
My first Ph1 was on 130k when i sold it(new owner has hit the 140k+ mark) had no issues with it, in fact it was the fastest out our group of clio's at the time hah. New one is on 86K wouldn't say it felt any newer. Just make sure it has been regularly maintained and serviced.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
I bought mine (admittedly not a 1*2, see left for details) on 38k, 11 years old with not a single bit of history, so a gamble. Barring needing the belts doing, or at least doing them as a precaution and 4 new tyres, it's not "needed" anything doing. I've done stuff to do it off my own back but I wouldn't count those as an issue with no history. It didn't even need tyres, I chose to change them because they were cheapo Chinese things and I was skidding about in the rain at work. Good fun but not great when I've got no car and no job! :smile: There's still a good 4-5mm of tread on them though, they're just all round awful tyres.

It's had a new head unit, new windscreen, new wipers, oil change, brake/fluid change (to be fair one disc was slightly warped) new LEDs inside and a set of mats, but these were things I chose to buy rather than "if I don't replace that it'll fail an MOT/be dangerous".

I've put 5k on it since November '14 and it's been fine.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Much better finding a mint 52 plate 172 complete total service history, 85k , Every invoice ,every receipt and Mot from new and one owner !
Then again Mine isn't for sale yet lol :wink:

Seriously thou buy on history really miles means nothing if looked after at this miles most stuff should of been replaced ie suspension refresh bushes etc if not budget for it on those prices you want to pay otherwise it wont end up a cheap 1*2 in the end.

Pics of your fiesta turbo reqd :smiley:???

Well I'm going to see a car on Saturday with under 90k and great history. Thanks for the replies though, hopefully I won't need to look at any more after this one.

Pics of your fiesta turbo reqd :smiley:???
IMG_20120601_190706.jpg

I actually sold it last year, just haven't updated this profile

Countryman JCW
I'm in the market at the moment for another Clio... Budget anywhere between 1-3k just haven't found anything that fits the bill, or hasn't been sold within 5 mins... I'm more than happy to buy high miles as long as there's a good history! My ph1 had 97k n was spot on, my two 182's were slightly less but my turbo'd Clio was on 94k before the engine re/fresh and I think could have gone on for a lot longer if it weren't for me looking for more power!

Feel free to pm me if any of you know of anything worth looking at or if you're looking to shift a Clio...

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I bought my DCI on 106k with no service history and now at 143k it's still going strong. No doubt the work and maintenance I've carried out has taken it happily to this mileage and will likely see it go for thousands more. Lauren's DCI was bought with 90k on, loads of SH, owned by someone who cared about cars and it's been a total PITA so I'd always buy on condition over mileage any day. Just buy from someone that knows cars need maintaining and don't run forever with nothing needing a change.