ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup

After over 7 months without a car I've finally got myself one. The budget kept creeping up until it reached enough where I could look at the Clio Sports.
I've tried to be careful on the car I chose as I have made many mistakes in the past, so I was only interested in ones with good history and that appear to have been cared for. After seeing this car advertised on here and PistonHeads I did some digging and was confident it was going to be a good car. Some of you will recognise it as the previous few owners are on here.

Mods are:
RS tuner map
K-tec stealth exhaust
Bilstein B14 coilovers
Clio Williams wheels
Eibach camber bolts
Full suspension and 4 wheel geometry set up by Grinspeed
Ferodo DS2500 pads

Only picked it up today but I'm very happy so far.

Noticed a couple of issues since getting it, very slightly noisy clutch release bearing and I'm almost certain there's a knock from the front end, I don't expect it to be anything more than a bush or TRE but it needs further inspection. Few creaks from the suspension occasionally too but not sure if that's normal.

It's pretty much going to stay as is. I was planning on changing the wheels but I actually like them a lot more now I've seen them in the flesh. May debadge and put a new RS one on but not bothered just now.

First job though is to order a 3m headlight restorer kit to polish them up

Only got a few of my own pics so far...

On the way home
P1010706_zps0jec0lqh.jpg

IMG_20150314_162530761_HDR_zpsourbprbz.jpg

IMG_20150314_162543384_HDR_zpstgoei1ri.jpg

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
awesome well looked after,you can get a valeo clutch cheap ,and labour isnt too bad as its a cup i believe m8

535d / t5 caravelle
Looking good! Can't say I ever noticed any abnormal clutch noises tbh! You sure the knockings not from the passenger door pocket? Tow eyes still in there from when I removed it after aintree, never got it as far as the boot! Pretty sure that'll be it. I've not driven it for a good 3 weeks, but I never noticed any knocking, any jobs I new of would have been done when I had the cambelt done had I known, as I wanted it right for the sale.

I'll tell you what I never did order a new gearstick gaitor, completely forgot once I locked the car away, I did put a thread up on here about it, which has a few links to them, think there about £12.

To be fair the noise when the pedal is depressed is barely noticeable and neither is the knocking. Certainly not things that I expect are going to cause me any problems any time soon. I may be being overly paranoid from past bad experiences!

Regardless, I'm over the moon with it so far. The few friends who have seen it today have given you credit for keeping it in such good condition.

I had noticed the gear gaitor and wondered about the new one as I had seen the thread but it's such a small fix it didn't bother me. Will get done over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

535d / t5 caravelle
Glad your happy with it mate, it served me well over the last 4.5 years, hopefully it will do the same for you, pics look very good, better than I ever managed, ( think I'll be borrowing some of those for memories lol )

Nice doing business with you :cool:

Thanks
Got round to fitting the cup 172 badge that was missing today and also my cliosport.net window sticker
IMG_20150320_165331483_zps6icvd9bn.jpg

Also stopped at my local garage and found my backbox is rotting...mild steel problems!...and there is some play in the top mounts which is causing a knock. Not sure how best to solve that one??

It's the 3rd seat belt hole for non cups but usually just has a plastic cover with a seat belt slit at the top, think they are all the same so keep an eye out on ebay or a local scrap yard perhaps

Wish I polished the lips on my Williams wheels tbh

Nice cup. Wouldn't worry too much about all the little noises, its about normal. It is French after all they come as standard!! The wheels are a bit marmite but do grow on you. Happy fettling, it never ends!

Managed to get a few bits done this week while I've been off and enjoying the weather.
I had a choice of plans to spend either on getting some Turinis, keeping the Willys but changing colour, sorting a new headunit and under seat sub or getting a Snappy or OMP wheel as mine melts in my hand on longer drives.
Decided against doing any of it for various reasons so spent a bit of cash to freshen up the car and sort a few little details.

A couple of orders from Amazon and Ebay saw me with headlights, sidelights and indicators all round, stubby aerial, mist washer jets, new rear number plate light unit and a tin of yellow Hammerite

IMG_20150421_180205274_zpsqx2pontd.jpg

P1010793_zpszg7kitkc.jpg

P1010794_zpsg1tjuf7v.jpg

P1010795_zps6b7wad4k.jpg

IMG_20150422_200459445_zpsrvza91fw.jpg

IMG_20150423_162021859_HDR_zps1evj2s5o.jpg

Not sure whether to paint the rear calipers or not?
The aerial is a Honda one and not a perfect fit but looks much better than standard.
Just need to order a gearstick decal from N2grafix now.

I'm once again debating whether to change my wheels for some Turinis. I don't like that it will make my car look like everyone else's but I just prefer them. Any other wheel options for similar money?

OZ Superleggeras are quite nice, light and cheap and whilst they're similar to turinins they're not identical.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Headlights look spot on! Where did you get the kit from mate, mine will need doing in the not so distant future.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I've been looking some more and nothing beats the Turinis for me. I think they will freshen up the car massively so I'm 95% certain I'll be going ahead with that over the next week.

Headlights look spot on! Where did you get the kit from mate, mine will need doing in the not so distant future.

Thanks, I've actually done them again since because I rushed it first time round and there were still some fine scratches visible when looking closely.
I used the classic 3m kit. Gone up a couple of quid since I bought it though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251749289972?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Well any changes are on hold at the minute, the car is currently sat on my drive with a dodgy noise that I'm yet to get a confirmed diagnosis on. Expecting it to cost a few hundred as it coming from the box/cv joints 😞

Missing driving it!

Looks like a new box is due. Presumed to be the diff gear or something along those lines.

I've put up a wanted post but obviously will need to replace the clutch too..where is the best place to get that from?

Quick update:
Box was rebuilt at Preston Transmissions along with a new clutch. Very happy with the service and the car has been running fine.
This week it's had a new injector and a fresh MOT with no advisories!

So I finally spent some cash after umming and ahhing for too long...
IMG_20150916_130106409_HDR_zps95g9ajm5.jpg

Love them, but they look a little lost in the arches so I'm probably going to lower it a touch and consider some spacers, funds allowing. What size and type is recommended? I believe these are ET43

IMG_20150916_163619258_zpsuc5d7fjd.jpg

IMG_20150916_163631271_HDR_zpsluy3uwwc.jpg

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Looking good. Picking mine up Friday all being well and posts like this keep me wishing it was Friday :grimacing: Any suggestions on things to look out for when I do pick it up mate?

@j4mes-c only 1 day to go though.
I've had gearbox and injector problems but you can't always check for it.
Also mine has some knocking from the front end and the brakes need replacing, obviously items like that affect the handling and drive so pretty clear when you need to sort it.
Otherwise it was just the little things that I wanted to improve like bulbs, number plate lamp etc.