ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

has any one wired up there flash with their fog lights

Elise S1 B&C 140
Did it on my old cars as the lights were crap so had spots on with full beam. Lights are good enough in the 172 so havent bothered.

There is a guide on the ZSOC forum, I would suppose its the same principle.

Taken from Tedley;

***Warning*** Modifications shown in this guide are not strictly road legal and involves cutting your wiring loom. I take no responsibility for any damage you do to your car when following this guide

Here's how to wire your fog lights so they come on in conjunction with your full beam/flash. You can also still use the fogs normally using the normal switch.

Parts list:
12V Automotive SPNO Relay (I used Maplins part N02AW - £2.70)
150cm of 10A cable
8 Female 15amp (blue) Spade connectors
3 Male Spades
2 Piggy Back Spades
1 Inline fuse holder + 10amp Fuse (All available at Halfords)

Take the Aux fuse box cover off (top right of the engine bay) and you will see two multi-pin plugs at the top.

The full beam wire is located on the right hand plug, pin 8 - Has a Violet wire with yellow stripe. The Fog wire is on the left hand plug, pin 18 - All orange wire.

S7000652.jpg

Remove the electrical tape from the looms to give yourself more space then cut these two wires roughly in the middle, adding a piggy back spade on one side and a male plug on the other. Rejoin the cables.

S7000653.jpg

Next make up two lengths of wire with a female spades at each end, long enough to reach the bottom left of the fuse box.

Connect the full beam to one lug on the coil side of the relay, the Fog to one lug on the switch side

IMG_0965.jpg

Next you need to make up two more wires, one female to female, the other male to female. Stick your fuse holder in the middle to create your 'power wire'.

The female end goes to the other switch lug on the relay, the male goes to a spare feed on the distribution block.

[Fuse Holder not shown]
IMG_0966.jpg

Finally you need to ground the remaining lug on the relay. I did this by running a wire out the bottom of the fuse box to the battery

Now wrap up your connections with pvc tape and tidy the wiring up.

IMG_0967.jpg

Refit the lid and your done!

Here is a very basic diagram showing the connections
[FUSE NOT SHOWN]

IMG_0968.jpg

I suppose it could be the same concept for the clio, hope this helps.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Dutty set his lights up so when opend with the key the xenons came on, desperate to find out how its done

it's pointless wiring the fogs to come on as you flash as you'll obviously have your (useless) fog lights on together with full beam. what you want to do is replace the fog lamps with driving lamps and then rewire it. you could probably do it at the stalk, which would be neater

172 & RSi
I wanna know how to wire them up to come on with the central locking like Immi too Brembo, any more details Jord? I'm useless with wiring so you would have to talk in very simple terms to me lol.

Sorry to hijack the post too but I suppose it is a similar subject

Cheers :)

sounds like a good idea as most c*nts on the road cant see you flashing them at a junction etc if my side lights are on i tend to flash my fogs at them as its more noticable

172 Race Car
I dont know why everyone is being so negative about this. I think its a good idea, i intend to do this on my works van. I regularly drive down country lanes and with full beam on it turns off the dipped. Having the fog lights on aswell gives more light. obviously.

I know, lets just have 30 threads per day talking about splitters and ebay scams, then everyone will be happy

:rolleyes:

M

mini-valver

106 GTi's have this as standard. Good idea but I'd replace the fog light bulbs with some main beam bulbs. I'd welcome more light for night time country lane blasts.

All the people being negative obviously just park on Maccy's at night and not actually have some fun on a B road.

it's the lamp units that would (ideally) need replacing as the lens pattern is the difference in driving/fog lamps. it's complicated with the Clio as the lamps are oval and the lenses slant, to fit the lines of the front valance. i keep meaning to have look for suitable units, but they're unlikely to look as tidy (fitted) as the OE lamps.

106 GTi's have this as standard. Good idea but I'd replace the fog light bulbs with some main beam bulbs. I'd welcome more light for night time country lane blasts.

All the people being negative obviously just park on Maccy's at night and not actually have some fun on a B road.

Aye, but they're driving lights, not fog lights.

Does anyone know how to wire the electric windows up to the horn?!?!

106 GTi

The 106 has driving lights rather than fogs - the glass gives a long direct beam rather than the wide beam of light fogs would give.

My 309 GTi had both driving a fog lights, was awesome for late night blast.

Burgandy 174 sport t
it's the lamp units that would (ideally) need replacing as the lens pattern is the difference in driving/fog lamps. it's complicated with the Clio as the lamps are oval and the lenses slant, to fit the lines of the front valance. i keep meaning to have look for suitable units, but they're unlikely to look as tidy (fitted) as the OE lamps.

What he said! if u just want them to light up too look good batter in but the man talks sense if you want them for the purpose of "driving lamps" fit driving lamps!

Or even better do it Mk1/2 style with a 2 up 2 down!!

;)

ValverInBits
can we just define the difference between driving lights and foglights??

Surely driving lights are just foglights that come on with full beam??? (as on the 106gti, 205gti etc...)

So by re-wiring the 172 foglamps you are just turning them into driving lights? I don't see why thats so bad as long as they stay off on dipped beam?

172 Cup
The guy I bought my old 172 off said the guy who he bought it off had wired a switch up inside the car which you could turn off / on this then switched between the fogs been flashed the same time as the main beam or the fogs not been flashed.

It was actually really really good.

As people have said sometimes people dont see you flash them, so when you light up the front of your car like a Xmas tree and blind them it gives them plenty of time to decide to pull out on you.

EDIT: Im breaking the car in a week or so if you want me to hold on to the switch and wiring etc.

Burgandy 174 sport t
Fog lamps
180px-Foglights.jpg

A pair of yellow fog lamps

Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low.[10][11][12] They may be either white or selective yellow. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.
Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the United Kingdom), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination.[13]
The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconception that fog lamps are necessarily selective yellow, while any auxiliary lamp that makes white light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.[

[edit] Driving lamps

180px-2005_winter_road_full_beam_and_extra_lights.jpg

High beam headlamps augmented by auxiliary driving lamps

"Driving lamp" is a term deriving from the early days of nighttime driving, when it was relatively rare to encounter an opposing vehicle. Only on those occasions when opposing drivers passed each other would the dipped or "passing" beam be used. The full beam was therefore known as the driving beam, and this terminology is still found in international ECE Regulations, which do not distinguish between a vehicle's primary (mandatory) and auxiliary (optional) upper/driving beam lamps.[3][7][4] The "driving beam" term has been supplanted in North American regulations by the functionally descriptive term auxiliary high-beam lamp.[8] They are most notably fitted on rallying cars, and are occasionally fitted to production vehicles derived from or imitating such cars. They are common in countries with large stretches of unlit roads, or in regions such as the Nordic countries where the period of daylight is short during winter. Many countries regulate the installation and use of driving lamps. For example, in Russia each vehicle may have no more than three pairs of lights including the original-equipment items, and in Paraguay, auxiliary driving lamps must be off and covered with opaque material when the vehicle is circulating in urban areas

can we just define the difference between driving lights and foglights??

Surely driving lights are just foglights that come on with full beam??? (as on the 106gti, 205gti etc...)

So by re-wiring the 172 foglamps you are just turning them into driving lights? I don't see why thats so bad as long as they stay off on dipped beam?

And our survey says....

EHHH ERRR!

106 GTi
In short fog lamps give wide short range spread of light, driving lights a directed long range beam of light.

Elise S1 B&C 140
The setup still works well with either IMO as the fog lights tend to light up the verges well. Extremely useful if you live near alot of single track lanes as i do - Useful mod tbh

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
So what happens whens its foggy, do you drive around with you full beams on?

Would it be possible wire up my windows to my stereo to go up and down with music?

Elise S1 B&C 140
So what happens whens its foggy, do you drive around with you full beams on?

Would it be possible wire up my windows to my stereo to go up and down with music?

No the relay allows you to switch on the fogs as normal and override it

And yes you can do that to but youd have to do it in reverse so that when windows are fully down the volume is fully up so you can cruise through maccy d's in style

white leon cupra R
am sure he only asked for how to do it and not your opinions
thanks

and thanks for every one with a positive responce

and the rest of you are on santas naughty list

and if u wanna know im trying to wire the lights for a rally car with full of spots on the front grill

PH1 172 Sport
I was personally thinking about doing this the other day. I think its a good idea as I live in the middle of nowhere so a bit of extra light would be nice especially when its raining. Plus fogs tend to light up verges etc which is always useful in the country as it gives a better warning of deer, foxes etc.

People are very quick to **** things off on this forum without actually thinking about it. Your fogs would come on with your high beam and go off with your high beam and could also come on with the fog light switch.

Now unless some people on here drive around with there full beam on I dont see what problems you are going to cause other road users as I dont know about anyone else but when a car is coming the other way I turn my full beam off?

Now all we need is for someone to come up with a wiring guide!

PH1 172 Sport
I dont know why everyone is being so negative about this. I think its a good idea, i intend to do this on my works van. I regularly drive down country lanes and with full beam on it turns off the dipped. Having the fog lights on aswell gives more light. obviously.

I know, lets just have 30 threads per day talking about splitters and ebay scams, then everyone will be happy

:rolleyes:

Don't forget all the threads on induction kits and exhausts.....

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
i want this as when i flash the full beam lights stop on till i click them off again.

so now i just dont flash people. but would be nice for fogs to flash as well.