ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

has any one wired up there flash with their fog lights

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
106 GTi's have this as standard. Good idea but I'd replace the fog light bulbs with some main beam bulbs. I'd welcome more light for night time country lane blasts.

All the people being negative obviously just park on Maccy's at night and not actually have some fun on a B road.

generally i agree with you.... but not here as i am a hater of this and i don't sit in mc'd's

I dont know why everyone is being so negative about this. I think its a good idea, i intend to do this on my works van. I regularly drive down country lanes and with full beam on it turns off the dipped. Having the fog lights on aswell gives more light. obviously.
:rolleyes:

again i usually agree with you, but fogs giving more light for general driving is complete tosh as this man says

In short fog lamps give wide short range spread of light, driving lights a directed long range beam of light.

fog lights are used generally by chav's who think it looks sporty or old people that don't know they have them on, i have found this year i have had to blind more people with my full beam for using fogs in-appropriately than i have had to in past years..

they don't give any real advantage generally when not in fog as they don't show any further down the road than full beams...just the edge of the road and if you don't know where that is...there is a problem

PH1 172 Sport
they don't give any real advantage generally when not in fog as they don't show any further down the road than full beams...just the edge of the road and if you don't know where that is...there is a problem

Because of where some of us live I think lighting the side of the road is very useful. It may not be for you but it definately is for me and maybe some others.

225 powered mk2
on my old clio i did this when i installed some aftermarket fogs (angel eye ones) i had the rings set to on when the side lights are one and then the fogs when i flash use main beam, i had to cut into the wires behind the lights, and used relays but it was an aftermarket kit

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Because of where some of us live I think lighting the side of the road is very useful. It may not be for you but it definately is for me and maybe some others.

i live in the countryside......lol...believe it or not most of our country roads / back lanes don't have street lighting,

if you think that having fog lights on helps illuminate objects / animals or anything else you may hit by the edge of the road you would be correct...but as fog lights have a very very short range infront of the vehicle you would have to have extremely quick reactions to do anything about it.....but hey atleadt you will see what your about to hit....

as for seeing the edge of the road (ie..the curb or the grass bank etc), you should know where that is anyways, if not perhaps you need to go on the same driving course that limica's new friend needs

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I nearly did this to the cup a few yrs ago. Hardly a chav mod!!!

PH1 172 Sport
i live in the countryside......lol...believe it or not most of our country roads / back lanes don't have street lighting,

if you think that having fog lights on helps illuminate objects / animals or anything else you may hit by the edge of the road you would be correct...but as fog lights have a very very short range infront of the vehicle you would have to have extremely quick reactions to do anything about it.....but hey atleadt you will see what your about to hit....

as for seeing the edge of the road (ie..the curb or the grass bank etc), you should know where that is anyways, if not perhaps you need to go on the same driving course that limica's new friend needs

Funnily enough I did realise that most country roads/back roads are not lit :rolleyes:

There are ways to make the fog light range increase such as by removing the deflector infront of the bulb which would increase the amount of light shining forward.

We get that you think it is a bad idea but how about you just let us get on with it??

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its fine imo. They do offer more light down and outwards. They exinguish on the removal of main beam, so whats the beef lol?!!

182cup & 172 racecar
To get more light on the old rally car,we used to wire up the dip beam to come on with the main beam through a relay,this seemed to work quite well.You can try and see what difference it makes by pulling the stalk in gently,main will come before dip has gone out

beechy - if you're fitting additional, auxilliary lamps, just fit them as per the manufacturer's instructions - find a feed wire, relay/s, etc.

i can't see the point in uprating the bulbs in the fog lamps (and there's no cap infront of the bulb for the fogs in mine). you only need turn them on at night whilst you've dipped beams on to see the pattern they project - it's barely noticeable

as some seem to appreciate, you'd need to swap the lamp units for driving lamps: the lens/refelctor is designing for distance penetration, rather than for spreading light immediately infront of the car

end of the day (possibly a sh*t pun in there..) , it's not going to be difficult to wire up whatever you want

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Clios do this anyway, with seperate H7 bulbs. H4's dipped extinguish when main beam is selected, if both filiments are on, the bulb would overheat imo

Track valver + Ibiza FR
Just spoke to jord about the 'dutty mod' and it's quite simple really. Find your headlight relay under the glovebox (will feel it click when on/off), then run a wire from interior light to the remote pin of the relay, so it trips it on when the interior light comes on.

S4 Avant
i want this as when i flash the full beam lights stop on till i click them off again.

so now i just dont flash people. but would be nice for fogs to flash as well.

If you're only using the auto lights, then full beam acts as a "toggle" switch, like your saying.

To be able to flash easily just turn the switch to select the headlights, and then to select full beam, you have to "click" the stalk back.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
We get that you think it is a bad idea but how about you just let us get on with it??

i was mearly sharing my opinion....with regards to letting you get on with it, i can't stop you.....lol

and in the unlikely event you are travelling behind me or coming the opposite way i will result to either putting my headlights on full beam or turning on my rear fog lights........these extra lights should help you see me and the road even better

172 & RSi
He wouldn't have them on though when driving towards/behind you? They're gonna be wired up so that they're only gona come on when you put your full beam on/flash someone, you wouldn't drive around with them on its only on roads where there are no other cars/when you flash someone

172 & RSi
Oh and by putting your rear fogs on, you would also be putting your front fogs on, therefore, owning yourself

Chav Rocket
lol i did it on my MK1 work out what the flasher cable is using a multimeter then use suitable gauge cable down to fog lamp positive and tee off. use a diode. dunno about your setup by i only had to do it on one side. its very easy and if you use black cable/route neatly it looks standard

PH1 172 Sport
Seeing as both the fog and headlight relays are in the passanger fuse box could you not just run a wire between the two i.e. wire connected to main beam relay on the output then to the fog relay output as well or would that cause to much draw from the headlight circuit when the main beam is on?

PH1 172 Sport
Or according to the wiring diagram the main beam switch is a white wire and the output to the fogs is pink on the passanger fuse box wiring loom. Who has any idea on the safest way of wiring these two up?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and by putting your rear fogs on, you would also be putting your front fogs on, therefore, owning yourself

totally correct i would be owning myself in this case..............if i had front fogs..

100_3717.jpg

172 Cup
As I said AGES ago, im breaking down my old car that had a switch on the dashboard, this switch enabled the fogs lights to come on or off when the main beam was used.
I.e:
Switch on - Flash someone with main beam, fogs also come on
Switch off - Flash someone with main beam, no fogs

Then obviously you could also turn the fogs on the headlight stalk just randomly with your side lights like the 17yr old cruisers.

When I finally get round to stripping it ill get pictures of the loom etc.

PH1 172 Sport
Just spoke to jord about the 'dutty mod' and it's quite simple really. Find your headlight relay under the glovebox (will feel it click when on/off), then run a wire from interior light to the remote pin of the relay, so it trips it on when the interior light comes on.

Does this mean his headlights come on every time he opens the door? I could see it being useful if they come on when the car unlocks.

white leon cupra R
so who doing this mod this weekend then?
as i want a guide as i dont wanna mess with the electrics in the fuse box with my every day car lol

PH1 172 Sport
I had a look the other day i think it would be better to do the wiring at the switch end but i haven't taken it any further yet!