ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Growing Out Of The Clio?

clio sport 172
Ive had my 172 from new, 8 years ago! I was also toying with the idea of change, with having a little one on the way and doing loads of miles for work, but the clio still puts a smile on my face and for what i'd get for it it's not worth getting into debt! I'll work around having a child in it (as its still standard apart form induction kit and stealth s/s xhaust) and if i take my time (dont leather it up to 70) i get decent MPG too!

Passat
I'm 26 and always had fiestas and focuses up until last year. Decided to get something much more grown up in a V70. Absolutely beautiful car but the most boring thing I've ever driven. Got myself a 172 after that and now I even look forward to driving to work in the mornings. My only problem now is that a part of my badly wants a 182 in RB or Arctic. Seems like a stupid waste of money when I have my sensible head on though

Clio 172
fill the old girl up find a nice quite stretch of road and blow some cobwebs out watch the smile instantly appear from ear to ear thats what i do when i see all my mates driving bmws mercs and audi all these new cars dont compare in driving feel to my little 172 which is why i have one

Astra Twintop
Had my Clio for two years, enjoyed it and sold it end of Jan.

Since owning my Corolla Compressor, I've forgotten about the Clio, there's not a chance I'd go back!

Evo 5 RS
Don't agree with this. I've got something pretty epic coming my way in January, but it's on the hush atm (lets just say it's a lot more refined)

But sell the 172? What is the point? Worth very little in the grand scheme of things and I grin every time I drive it, I would gain f/a from getting rid of it apart from regret! I don't believe in any of this growing out of business honestly. I think it's more that people are worried what others think of them, and that's their prerogative. It's the same car it was when you owned it..

Best of both worlds is a luxury, maybe, but don't kid yourself by saying you're too old for it. ;)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I've just turned 21, just got my first RS and its epic. I tried to be sensible with a Mini Cooper S and it just didn't work at all!

Z4
I've just turned 21, just got my first RS and its epic. I tried to be sensible with a Mini Cooper S and it just didn't work at all!

What was wrong with the mini? I've always quite liked them!

I've just gone from an M3 to a 182 and I can see how people can grow out of clios.
Everyone wants to race me, the neighbours think it's a chav wagon, and the low down torque is jokey.

I'm fine with that, I knew what I was buying as I've had one before! But I can understand how they can prematurely age you lol.

I'm 24 btw!

DB.

BMW 440i
I grew out of this within a year tbh, took me a while to have a bit of money, working and now bought a Golf Gti!

Just not a fan of the small, not well built Clio's imo. Too tinny for me.

1eight2
Growing out of it abit but nothing i've owned so far matches the fun the clio knocks out on the twistys...

clio 182
a had a clio in 2007 and rolled it over 4 times it was a 1.2 black clio loved it but said never again as a crashed it but after going from a corsa (R REG) to a civic sport (55 reg) to a fiesta st (08 Reg) and u guest it am back to a clio 55 reg 182 black and a love it to bits so nice to drive

Focus
The moment I took the milltek exhaust off my old 172, was the moment I started enjoying it again. I was absolutely gutted when it started dieing on me, a small part of me regrets selling it and buying my 225, but logic stated spending £1000s on a cheap car, to get it right, wasn't viable.

Renault didn't spend millions developing the 1*2 for no reason, as a standard car they really are great fun. When people start modding cars to the point when they become loud, brash, etc - is the moment they start spoiling them. This is all my own opinion, obviously, as the majority of people on here will disagree with me. :p

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've had mine almost eight years from new now. It's been relentlessly thrashed, bumped and scraped a few times, stolen, recovered, but still gives me the James May fizz every time it gets wrung out.

I'll never grow out of it.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Over 5 years with mine now and I've been on about getting rid for the past 2 but its still here... 1 reason is because its worth so little but the other reason is that when i'm on my own on the right roads I love it and mine is in need of some work so if I fix it all up and get it tight I know I'll love it again for a year.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
What was wrong with the mini? I've always quite liked them!

I've just gone from an M3 to a 182 and I can see how people can grow out of clios.
Everyone wants to race me, the neighbours think it's a chav wagon, and the low down torque is jokey.

I'm fine with that, I knew what I was buying as I've had one before! But I can understand how they can prematurely age you lol.

I'm 24 btw!

Emm, and?

Caring what anyone else thinks or wants to do FTL.

It depends. If you have a bright coloured one, lowered, loud exhaust. I can understand growing out of it.

But a standard subtle one? Nah. It's only us geeks that notice that it's a quick/sporty version anyway. To most they look at it and think it's the same one that Doris takes to the shops.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I dont think i'm growing out of the clio necessarily, its more that i've got to a point where i have pretty much mastered getting the best out of FWD these days. As such, from a driving 'challenge' perspective, im finding myself more drawn towards RWD, especially RWD on a track, where i find that FWD is starting to get, well a little boring.

The clio is an epic car, that you can simply jump in & have a wail of a time, but i think im starting to 'grow out of it' now.

182cup & 172 racecar
Don't even think about it being a Clio,it's just a car that I can either potter around in,thrash the fook out if it,let my missus drive it to work every day,plus we don't need a bigger car.
So all round it's spot on,lol at "grow out of it",it's just a car ffs.

Clio 182, 911
I've owned my 182 since new, sold it to my uncle to help pay for a 1999 996 C4 Cab my brother in law was selling (what can I say, we keep it in the family!). I thought I too had grown out of the little Clio (I'm 37). I was wrong - I bought it back after just six months! The thing is that when you buy a much faster car you find that you very rarley get to open it up and truly enjoy it, unlike the 182...

Clio 172 Cup
I've owned my 182 since new, sold it to my uncle to help pay for a 1999 996 C4 Cab my brother in law was selling (what can I say, we keep it in the family!). I thought I too had grown out of the little Clio. I was wrong - I bought it back after just six months! The thing is that when you buy a much faster car you find that you very rarley get to open it up and truly enjoy it, unlike the 182...

"The thing is that when you buy a much faster car you find that you very rarley get to open it up and truly enjoy it, unlike the 182" - Completely agree with you, this is real talk.

Z4
"The thing is that when you buy a much faster car you find that you very rarley get to open it up and truly enjoy it, unlike the 182" - Completely agree with you, this is real talk.

+1.

Emm, and?

Caring what anyone else thinks or wants to do FTL.

As I said, I don't have a problem with it, but I can see how it can become tiresome after a while.

Didn't get too many people wanting a race in the M3! Strange...

White clique
lol, & the fact that when you clamber out out of a pink clio with bucket seats & a roll cage, whilst wearing a pinstripe suit, you look like a tw4t.

this is SO true.

The older people who "dont care" what others think and cane it about in a clio are probs the same ones who try and dress like they are 21 and be cool on the dance floor at a 50th wedding anniversary party.

I still like clios, 172/182 = deffo have grown out of, its now a young chavs car, 197/200 = would be seen in as they are still being driven by more mature people.

i would NEVER be seen in a modded car of any type now, deffo grown out of that, in fact i grew out of modded cars when i was about 20.

182cup & 172 racecar
I like my Clio,but I certainly don't think I'm 21.
Any car can be classed as a chav mobile,if it's got a tool driving it.
But then mine isn't modded and never will be.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
WTF are you all banging on about ''growing out of a car''.

Its a car, not a shirt or a pair of Doc Martens.

I buy/drive cars that I enjoy. I couldn't give a fcuk what people think of me thats their problem. If I'm 31 years of age married with two kids and people scoff because i'm driving a K reg rusty clio with a roll cage they can kiss my ass. I'm enjoying myself, they're too hung up on driving something newer than their neighbour while their partner is having sex at work with a colleague.

Lotus Elise
I buy/drive cars that I enjoy. I couldn't give a fcuk what people think of me thats their problem. If I'm 31 years of age married with two kids and people scoff because i'm driving a K reg rusty clio with a roll cage they can kiss my ass. I'm enjoying myself, they're too hung up on driving something newer than their neighbour while their partner is having sex at work with a colleague.

LOL! So true.

Passat
Well aren't you grown up, Alan.

Jesus, it's a car that's fun to drive, pretty practical and cheap. The only way I'd ever judge someone driving one is if they'd modded the hell out of it and ruined it

White clique
Well aren't you grown up, Alan.

Jesus, it's a car that's fun to drive, pretty practical and cheap. The only way I'd ever judge someone driving one is if they'd modded the hell out of it and ruined it

i'm 32, if i drove about in a boy racers car at my age i'd be in the minority, for a reason! People my age grow out of boy racer style cars (i.e a clio), i dont see why that is so hard to accept. It is different to growing out of fast cars BTW.

And if you would judge someone who modded the hell out of a car and ruined it (i.e 50%) of CS, why judge me for not wanted to be seen in the car i was driving almost 7 years ago?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
you are worrying too much about what other people think enjoy the car for what it is. changing to a mini is a stupid idea imo as there practically the same car except you pay stupid money for the minis

clio sport 172
I AM cool on the dancefloor at any party! And would turn up in a 172!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

My 182's gave me a bad knee, The GTI made me fall asleep, My Vts made me sick when I looked at it, My Saxo nearly killed me, My Pug leaks more water than Jordan's gash...

All cars have their faults.

Z4
My 182's gave me a bad knee, The GTI made me fall asleep, My Vts made me sick when I looked at it, My Saxo nearly killed me, My Pug leaks more water than Jordan's gash...

All cars have their faults.

And now it's giving me a bad knee :( lol

I'd actually forgotten how heavy the clutch is, the car is the complete opposite to my VW caddy lite, which is mega light clutch/steering etc, and sits really high!

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
I sometimes wonder if I'll ever grow into mine tbh!

Have to agree with those saying it's not about age though. I'm no doubt one of the older users of this site but I only got mine last year, I have a love/hate relationship with the bloody thing but I guess that's the same with most cars, they do go wrong. Just annoying that the previous owner had barely anything go wrong in 6 years and I've spent 12 months replacing what feels like everything!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
i'm 32, if i drove about in a boy racers car at my age i'd be in the minority, for a reason! People my age grow out of boy racer style cars (i.e a clio), i dont see why that is so hard to accept. It is different to growing out of fast cars BTW.

And if you would judge someone who modded the hell out of a car and ruined it (i.e 50%) of CS, why judge me for not wanted to be seen in the car i was driving almost 7 years ago?

Wow, stuck up much!!

I'm 34 and drive a 172, doesn't make me a boy racer. Keen driver yes!
It's no different to all the older people you see driving Golf gti's, Focus ST's, Cupra's etc. Not everyone has the disposable income to be buying Z4's, Caymans etc like your self yet still want a good drivers car...

This growing out of Clio's is a load of crap. At the end of the day it's a fine drivers car on a budget.

And now it's giving me a bad knee :( lol

I'd actually forgotten how heavy the clutch is, the car is the complete opposite to my VW caddy lite, which is mega light clutch/steering etc, and sits really high!

I drove my mums polo for a day or two, when I got back in the 182 I though the clutch had seized lol

Oh no, just ridiculously heavy....

Bought the GTI a few months after :)