ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Growing Out Of The Clio?

120d M Sport
Thats a point I was gonna make, it's testament to these cars that people move on then end up returning to them!

Focus RS + S3
anything 'sporty' is classed as a boy racers car, throw GTI, Sport, Turbo etc etc on the end of any car and people will instantly turn their nose up at it

Nothing at the mo :(
Like Hodgins said.. Anything that is fast is a boy racer car... My 182 i don't use for racing.. Plus im 23 so not exactly a boy lol... but i still get classed as one

Think its more jealously then other things sometimes.. But the best ones are with 1.1l and put a binlid on the back and think there "cool" lol

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Id keep i if i were you, for what they are and how much they're worth you aint gonna get much better. Dont get a cooper s, they're blatently designed for girls, proper flange wagon. Everyone time i see a mini its got a hot lass in it. FACT.

Evo 8 MR
Feel as though I am. Been 3 years that I've had it now, turning 22 next week. Virtually all of my friends have just bought new cars in the last month. I'm getting bored(ish).

My boss was speaking to me earlier and said "it's a chavs car. A stupidly low, loud chavvy clio", and tbh I can see where he's coming from. The car doesn't really "suit" me anymore if any one can relate to that?

Trouble is, it's Cat C, and riddled with reasons why no one would buy it. Alarm doesn't work for example, rippled roof skin etc... I've piled all of my money into it and still got 2 years left to pay off my loan, which granted, I could break the car and pay off easily. But it's worth nothing really. I've always said I'll keep it forever, but at the moment it's looking doubtful :(

Add into the equation that ever since I was in the accident, parents aren't happy with me driving around in a small car. Which is very understandable, and bloody Addz has got me hooked on mini cooper s's.

So I put it to the internet, what would you do in my situation?

lmao, growing out of a Clio at 22?

I've heard it all now. You have to be at least 30 to even remotely be thinking like this.

If your getting bored of it your obviously not driving it right tbh.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Tough one. I felt like this sometimes when I had my last 172 Cup. The problem for me was my first one was bought in 2004 and as such was reasonably expensive (iirc 7.5k lol!). The slight problem I had with my last Cup was some local Chavs have now got 172's which made me :(............ Saying that, I saw a nice Artic 182 going up the M56 today and it looked lovely, nice and standard. Thats also the other problem, imo they should really be kept standard. I've never liked loud exhausts or hard suspension. They are good out the box really. Lots of mods = bad daily. I could own a Trophy/ Cupped 182 if I needed some extra capital for a mortgage next year. It would have to be totally unmolested mind

S4 Avant
I'd like to point out that the only thing getting me down with it at the moment is the leaking/knocking suspension and image. I'd like to detatch myself as much as possible from the "I've stripped my car and stuck it on coilovers, now I'm going to sell it" brigade.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Might help the image if you had silver wheels mate to be honest, black contrasts a lot with the light brown of your car.

You'll love it again once the suspension is sorted though.

Although image counts for a lot though in the wide world of work / business. I used to look a right idiot in my DC2 to other people, but even in a clapped out van people don't classify you as it's clearly a work vehicle etc. Megane is much better for it, although a lot is jealousy!

22 and worried that you've outgrown an RS clio?

FFS some of you need to have a word with yourselves!

edit: put it back to standard.

Last edited:
  BMW M5 & E36
Dave, you and I are very much alike. Both too tall for starters.

I felt the same about mine when I got rid. One of the biggest factors was my Yozza/decat at the time, the car was 10x better when I took that off before selling and it made me enjoy it slightly more being so quiet. I've said it a millions times before, but the 10% of the time when you're in the mood it's ace, the other 90% its a f*cking drone!

'Clearly not driving it right' for thinking he's grown out of it, never have i heard such rubbish!

Ah I miss being 22 and having a load of wild ideas about growing up. I'm only 24 now but feel wayyyyyy older (I have had a lot of s**t going on lately though so probably feel a bit older than most 24 year olds)

Enjoy being young while you can. f**k what other people think

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Ah I miss being 22 and having a load of wild ideas about growing up. I'm only 24 now but feel wayyyyyy older (I have had a lot of s**t going on lately though so probably feel a bit older than most 24 year olds)

Enjoy being young while you can. f**k what other people think

Lifes not a popularity contest IIRC

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
All my family and friends think I'm a total c**k cruising in my dully stripped 106 rallye.

I'm 30 and I suppose I should have grown out of it but I still love it and don't really care what other people think.

My advice to the OP would be to change the exhaust to something quieter and sort the suspension out and take it from there.

Golf GTD Mk7
Can't believe you feel like you've outgrown it. You're 22 for christ sake. Get a RB Gordini and then it looks slightly chavvy. I'll removing my stripes when I start to feel the same way. I'm nearly 27 and it never bothers me. I always find people with a negative opinion on 1*2's have never driven them and hense don't appreciate what you get for the money.

Take the boss out on track. Or yourself come to that, unless you already have. It's a different animal on some smooth tarmac :approve: I've driven a few hot hatches and this is the only one that gets my blood pumping.

Corsa Van. Meh.
I feel pretty much the same as you Dave. Turning up to meet clients/architects in the clio makes me feel like a bit of a d**k due to the loudness and lowness. Hardly gives a good impression. Obviously changing it back to standard would improve this. Plus due to my height (6ft1") its stupidly un-comfortable for 90% of the driving I do up the motorway.

My solution was to tell the other half that the clio is now hers to use daily and I get myself a more suitable car for the daily drive. That means I still get the clio to use whenever I want.

I'm in the same boat really but not because it's a girls car or i'm over 17 so need something more mature...

I love the characteristics of my car but it just continues to fall apart/knock/rattle/feel unstable... I have spent A LOT on quality parts (fixing the car, not modifications) in an attempt to fix it up and make it feel like new (mines a Cat D but every mechanic who's looked at it has told me you can't even tell!) It just seems like a never ending battle and like you said, I've not even been out for just a general drive somewhere as i hate the way it feels :( maybe i'm after something that will never be reached, i might be trying for perfection but with a £3k french hatch i'm not sure i'm going to find it really...

LY 182
Little tip for anybody finding it a bit boring or used to the power / drive etc...

For 2-3 days drive slowly, well, not like a slug but don't push past 3k revs just take it easy. Then after that, go for an almighty hoon. I just did this Mon + Tuesday driving slowly (helped as it was quite busy traffic wise to and from work anyway haha). Then last night I had about a 15 min drive to play squash and gave it the beans. Mostly just stretches on the dual and such not amazing B roads but still, having been under 3k revs it felt so lairy and fun really giving it the all!

Little tip for anybody finding it a bit boring or used to the power / drive etc...

For 2-3 days drive slowly, well, not like a slug but don't push past 3k revs just take it easy. Then after that, go for an almighty hoon. I just did this Mon + Tuesday driving slowly (helped as it was quite busy traffic wise to and from work anyway haha). Then last night I had about a 15 min drive to play squash and gave it the beans. Mostly just stretches on the dual and such not amazing B roads but still, having been under 3k revs it felt so lairy and fun really giving it the all!

Or get a 1.2 Corsa hire car and don't drive your Clio for a week. Then it'll feel fast

I do this quite often when driving to work, especially at the minute as the temperature is fucked so don't like pushing it. Got pissed off the other day and hoofed it, makes you appreciate it more.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1

I get the same feeling when driving my 172 all week and then jumping in the M6 at weekends. Scares me s**tless sometimes ;)

To me the Clio isn't all about power, never has been, it ALWAYS puts a smile on my face when I drive it. Doesn't matter what else you can or have driven, to me the Clio is an amazing drive, especially where power isn't the key factor (twisties).

In regards to image, I think there is a vast difference between a standard 1*8 and a modified 1*2, modified cars scream chav from 90% of the population, there is no getting round that.

Golf GTD Mk7
I get the same feeling when driving my 172 all week and then jumping in the M6 at weekends. Scares me s**tless sometimes ;)

To me the Clio isn't all about power, never has been, it ALWAYS puts a smile on my face when I drive it. Doesn't matter what else you can or have driven, to me the Clio is an amazing drive, especially where power isn't the key factor (twisties).

In regards to image, I think there is a vast difference between a standard 1*8 and a modified 1*2, modified cars scream chav from 90% of the population, there is no getting round that.

You're obviously not driving the clio correctly ;)

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Have you had it on track yet Dave?

I started to feel the same about mine last year, thought about getting a trophy, had a meggy 225 for a bit, then went straight back to my valver & since I had it on track for the 1st time I'm so glad I stuck with it.
You need to learn to drive it properly on a race circuit then decide if you've grown out of it ;)

Peugeot 308
I had a similar problem this week.

Was inches away from buying a Focus RS on finance (£7500) with me using my car (£2500) and a £1000 as a deposit - Total £11000

Looked at my car whilst talking to the stealer and just had a slight change of heart. So told him i'd see if the bank would give me a better interest rate on a loan (as an excuse) and spanked my car home again with a smile...

Dont get me wrong, I would love a Focus RS lol...But saddled with £7500+ Interest Debt didnt really appeal.

Also the trip home again (9miles of goodness) re assured me that I still love my car and it just wasnt worth spunking ££££ to replace it.

182cup
Im growing in to mine ;-) had it for nearly 6 years its never let me down,it doesn't feel like its falling apart just spent a lot on it due to its age but up untill now its not cost me hardly anything..

Im 35 and lots of people pass possitive comments about it but thats my ocd cleaning lol

340i
Dave, you and I are very much alike. Both too tall for starters.

I felt the same about mine when I got rid. One of the biggest factors was my Yozza/decat at the time, the car was 10x better when I took that off before selling and it made me enjoy it slightly more being so quiet. I've said it a millions times before, but the 10% of the time when you're in the mood it's ace, the other 90% its a f*cking drone!

'Clearly not driving it right' for thinking he's grown out of it, never have i heard such rubbish!

make that three of us... where all big boys, in more ways than one ;)

I grew out of mine, could drive it on the limit all day long and it didn't give me that special feeling inside anymore.. I owned mine for just over 3yrs, covered 43K in the car, across 11 countries, various tracks etc.

then commuting to work every day in the 172 made the car feel even more "boring" as I did 45 miles a day down the dual carriage way with a droning exhaust :(

I didn't NEED a better car, I wanted one.. and that was the main reason for me changing. comfy, quiet, corporate'ish when visiting clients etc., but still handles, quick and all the other "right" things ;)

Deja vu 182
I thought the same when i had my first 182 , sold it bought a impreza (hated it) . Bought another 182 loved it but financial situation changed so ended up in a mondeo zetec s tdci . Guess what i drive now..... another 182 , this one will stay and the mrs will get a sensible car . God i love 182 s nearly bought a 197 in january but didn t want more debt !! Unfortunately when i was thinking of selling the first one all my friends told me i d miss it , should of listened :)

S4 Avant
chuck a supercharger on the Clio. much cooler than a Mini!!

Call me superficial or posing, but a rotary supercharger wouldn't do it for me, it's the whine that does it for me. Plus you run into all sorts of problems with boosting a car that isn't meant to be boosted.

Edit: It appears what I have just said about rotary superchargers is b****cks...

Hetrosexual men dont own Mini's. If your even thinking about it your on the turn

You're looking at the wrong minis.

Last edited:
  Z4
I went through this stage when I had mine, an Audi tt quattro ticked all the boxes: far more refined, good looks, faster, better resale value, etc. After about a month I realised why I loved the French crap so much! I think you need to experience both to see what you really want from a car, personally I like lightweight high revving drivers cars, although at the time I thought I wanted something with torque and refinement lol.

Moral: Whatever you do, you'll learn from it :)

I think if you're already starting to think you look a bit chavvy, it will bug you to the point you'll hate the Clio, and everything about it.

I'm only 19 and decided i'd had enough of "boy racer" cars. There is a bigger world outside of car forums where everyone thinks their car is the dogs and not chavvy atall, but to people who aren't "in the know" all they see is a loud hatchback with black wheels, instantly assume chav. That is just how it is!

I remember turning up on a location shoot in my 106 GTi, infront of directors and producers in the carpark all standing around the posh Germans saloons. I felt like such a knob slowing right down over the bumps and having everyone look at me when the exhaust scraped, then everyone staring at me as i parked up and walked over to say hello. After that it really started to bug me that other people assume i'm a chavvy boy racer. My new car to most people on here is in no way special atall (boring, no fun etc) but in the work environment it is best to blend in.

If it is important at your work to keep a professional image and you feel it doesn't suit you anymore, i'd think of getting rid. If you can't afford to then fair enough, priorities and all that.

Last edited:
Thats got more to do with what you did to the car than the car itself.

I had a 106gti and most of my colleagues at the time also had german cars, but it wasnt a big issue.

Im a mac engineer and have to go on site quite often at some really high profile clients. I usually go in the work L200 but when its being used I used to rock up in the Type-R EP3 and now the 172. Dont really feel like im unprofessional or im tainting the image of the company.

Im a 31 year old IT professional who does a damn good job when I get there. Its not like I turn up and do donuts in the carpark.

Thats got more to do with what you did to the car than the car itself.

If the OP had a standard 182 it wouldn't be such a bad image. The colour is certainly noticeable, but just from the avatar i can see it is lowered and has black wheels. Modified cars whether tasteful on a forum or not, give off an image to the "outside world"

Show that picture to your nan and she would think it is boy racerish.

Show her a standard one and she'd comment on the colour only (not saying it's s**t btw)

Clio 172 ph2 FF
Hehehe. A guy 10 years my junior is saying he has outgrown his RS Clio... Makes me love mine all the more. But then I am sufficiently old not to give a flying f**k what others think of me.

TBH I think they ARE a bit chavvy. I can also see why someone would feel they had outgrown theirs. Me, I absolutely adore mine. It makes me smile every time I look at it nevermind drive it. My more sensible friends tut and shake their heads then carry on discussing mortgages, pensions, stocks and ISA's... right up until I drown em out with my lairy little Clio. Jeremy Clarkson got it absolutely bang on in his review of the 182 - The niggles, poor build quality, lairyness, unreliability... none of it matters simply cos of the way it makes you feel when you drive it.

Of course if that magic is gone then it probably is time to move on.

!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE SO SO SO SPEAKING MY MIND SIR - ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAVE88 your boss is just saying all that s**t because his missus wouldn't let him have a car like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!