ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Google Nexus 4

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just bought one, was very impressed with the demo I played with, just got to stop everyone else's phone thinking I'm on iMessage Grrr!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
OK been playing for couple hours now few questions.

It shows I have signal, but not if its 3G, E etc. Anyway to change this?

The message program is pathetic, is there anyway of making it let me know I've got a message, rather than a little tiny icon in the corner?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
OK been playing for couple hours now few questions.

It shows I have signal, but not if its 3G, E etc. Anyway to change this?

The message program is pathetic, is there anyway of making it let me know I've got a message, rather than a little tiny icon in the corner?

It does. It says g for GPRS, e for edge and h for hspda?

And eh? I don't understand your issue with the message icon, its perfect and its how its done on pretty much every other phone os other than iOS, its always on the screen and visible. The badges in iOS are s**t because you have to scroll to the page that contains the app icon to see it.

If it bothers you that much then buy and install light flow, it won't fix that "issue" but you can set up the led to flash in a specific way and colour when you get a text message and many many many other things.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mine just shows the signal strength battery and time. Anyway of taking screen shots?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Have a look for dash clock. You can customize it so you can have messages, email, clock, watsap, weather etc on your lock screen. You can they jump straight to the message from there.
Not sure on screen shot. Maybe lock and bottom volume button at same time? That's the way on my samsung nexus

Screenshot of the lock screen. No messages or emails on it but when I have one they show under the time.
ruha2yju.jpg

work for BMW
you know if you have any notifications / messages because a little light flashes at the bottom of your phone. i really like it!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
you know if you have any notifications / messages because a little light flashes at the bottom of your phone. i really like it!

Yeah love that, but would like a notification in the middle of the screen.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Changed from one to this, getting annoyed with everyone's iPhone thinking I'm still using imessage.

work for BMW
Yeah love that, but would like a notification in the middle of the screen.

there is an app which does exactly what you want. when you have say an email then an email icon will appear on your black screen. pretty nice! cant remember its name

edit -- the app is called NoLed , download it!

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Light flow makes the phone light up for 5 seconds, but doesn't do much else.

No idea what I'm doing with dash clock either tbh.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If it is, I've no idea what I'm doing, this is first time I've touched android.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I don't understand the issue, help me please!

When you get an SMS message or email the notification area on the phone swizzles round to tell you what has happened, from then on in you get an icon in there telling you that you've got an unread SMS or email. Once you've dealt with the notification they go away.

You can swipe down the screen to reveal the notification tray, things that have happened will appear there nice and big.

It works exactly like it does in iOS, except better because there are icons in the tray which tell you what has happened, you don't have to hunt through pages of apps to find a badge.

Besides, if you install Lightflow you can get the led to tell you what is happening without having to turn on the phone...no service, make the led flash red, got a text make it pulse yellow, got an email make it.... You don't even need to turn the screen on.

Install dash clock and when the phone is locked, swipe all the way to the left until you see the big "+", press it and then add the dash clock widget. Then your clock will be the dash clock widget which allows you to display other information like upcoming calendar, number of sms messages waiting and emails etc.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Whats not to understand?

​The notifications aren't as persistent as iOS out of the box, what he wants to do is basically replicate that. This must be possible on android, but I've never seen it.

Clio
Whats not to understand?

​The notifications aren't as persistent as iOS out of the box, what he wants to do is basically replicate that. This must be possible on android, but I've never seen it.

what would you recommend he did?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Whats not to understand?

They are though. Swipe down, they're all there and conveniently theres an icon in the notification bar so you know that there's something outstanding rather than having to guess like you would in iOS.

I still don't understand, it works the same, only better.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'm not arguing with you, i'm trying to find a work around. Perhaps he just needs to get used to it.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I would quite like lock screen notifications actually, it's definitely possible as my HTC sensation xe had it , I've just not worked out the best way to replicate it. To be honest I've just got used to using the swipe down notification dock, it's tidy really.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Its just nice to know who's text.

Is there anyway of delaying it asking for a passcode when unlocking like the iPhone?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
You can set chomp sms to do display who message's are from on the lock screen and set to display just the name or the whole message. Think you still have to unlock to reply but that's a good thing imo.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I think I might have sorted everything :) just fingered out what you mean by add a widget to the lock screen lol

One more for you, how about scrolling to the top of a webpage when the top of the screen is pressed?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I think I might have sorted everything :) just fingered out what you mean by add a widget to the lock screen lol

One more for you, how about scrolling to the top of a webpage when the top of the screen is pressed?

That is one feature that I do miss from iOS. The top scroll. No, android doesn't have it and it really should.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Are these worth getting? I just managed to get out of a 24 month iPhone contract 18 months early and thinking of a stop gap until they release the 5s or whatever. Never had an Android phone either.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Are these worth getting? I just managed to get out of a 24 month iPhone contract 18 months early and thinking of a stop gap until they release the 5s or whatever. Never had an Android phone either.

I've had it 3 days, but my initial thoughts are wouldn't bother coming from a iPhone 4s, seams to do some things great, but the basics the iPhone does better IMO. But if you're like me and fancied a change after 3 years of iOS go for it.