ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

do clio sports always break??

ive owned my rb 182 now for almost a month now and the day i bought it i drove 120 miles and it stopped to a dropped valve so had a new engine put in and now to find out the drive shaft is fooked and now my heaters dont blow air either! and now to top it off the car has a crack in the thermostat housing so its leaking coolant! SOMEBODY please reassure me that it will some breaking and i can enjoy it!

Lol all part of motoring. Had my 182 2 years now only spent.on what i think it needs rather than what it actually needs bar an abs sensor. But i think i have a good 182 tbh

Ps. Its Renaultsport clio. Not clio sport.

RenaultSport clio 18
Well from what I have read the heater fans are a common issue and more then likely a reasonably quick fix. I had the issue and trawled the forum for the solution and ultimately saved myself a small fortune by doing it myself!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Had 3 over the last 13 years and they have all been amazing. Yeah the odd thing does break, heaters for example like you say can go but cost hardly anything to fix with a new heater resistor thing. Most expensive thing I have had to have fixed is a new exhaust manifold on my old 172 . Oh and a load of 172 Orem exhausts , think I went through 3 over the 150k miles the car did.

Clio 182
Had 3 'reliable' German cars and all had BIG issues! Had the Clio for over a year now and all it's needed was a lambda sensor! Luck of the draw really...

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I do 90 mile a day in mine and not had 1 problem so far.
Depends on whether they have been serviced and looked after by previous owners

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
My 182 was very reliable and on 130k.
My Audi at less than 100k cost me £1650 on a gearbox. Just be happy you could replace your car for that.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
So far, my 182 has been more reliable than my previous A3.

I've had to do nothing other than replace a fault injector.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say they have a lot of niggles, rather than always breaking.

VAG cars, IMO are a lot worse, and cost more when they do go wrong.

The German thing is a total myth.
Couldn't like this anymore. Completely true!

I think it's all to do with previous maintenance. If you buy a cheap dog you'll end up with not really saving much in the long run.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
My clio was a bit if a pain in the arse. Had a waterpump oil and filter both anti roll bars suspension springs changed due to one snapping 2 wheel bearings due to the previous owner getting disks and the rings Ether not replaced or been removed now about to do top mounts and on top of that on my 8th set of tyres and my Last mot cost 280quid :) lovely! So all good a suppose!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Don't buy a shed, simples.

So the answer is no, they don't always break.

So true ^^^^ 90% have had 6-7 owners who skimp on servicing and maintainence ,rag the s**t out of em and look like they have bought em from the corner of a breakers yard ! No wonder they break ! Get a good one and they are bullet proof had mine 12 years and never let me down once ! Never even used any oil , so as said buy a good un not a BARGAIN minter ( there is no such thing imo ) lol

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has got to a point where it needs a little bit of money spending on it this summer:
* Coolant flush
* Break fluid flush - maybe some braided lines
* Possible new front discs and pads to go with the rears I have just put on.
* Think the rear suspension is going - I see it as an excuse for coil overs.
* New ARB bushes - plus a new rear ARB
* Sort the banging exhaust out
* New wiper blades
* New windscreen
* Plus anything the MOT test picks out in a few weeks
There is a few niggley things on it that annoy me, like my bumper and wheels could do with a fresh coat of paint, the roof has some odd water marks on it (that don't come off with a polish ffs) and it could do with a really really good clean and detail to restore the paint colour. Plus all the other things I want doing to it!!

But at 164k miles I need to make sure it is going to be worth spending the money on as it is getting old. But I will be putting a new engine in when it goes pop (maybe accidently drop a turbo onto it)

I bought mine from my step dad who ran it as a track car for a year and I knew exactly what he did to it in terms of maintanence and I know he didn't scrimp. So I ended up with a good one. But never buy a cheap one, buy one which you know what has been done to it!!! That goes with any car really.

Don't buy a shed, simples.

So the answer is no, they don't always break.
It was one of the best ones for sale at the time with full service history and 76k he also had 51 photos of the car so didn't think he was trying to hide anything! I've waited a while for a good one to come up as I didn't want these problems and still it's one of the tightest clios I have driven just not mechanicly sound aha

It was one of the best ones for sale at the time with full service history and 76k he also had 51 photos of the car so didn't think he was trying to hide anything! I've waited a while for a good one to come up as I didn't want these problems and still it's one of the tightest clios I have driven just not mechanicly sound aha

It just happens sometimes :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Unexpected breakdowns that couldn't have been prevented by regular and correct maintenance are a totally different thing. You can't say a car is unreliable because a lack of knowledge has left a 10+ year old car as a ticking time bomb.

A bad driver/owner will destroy any car as I'm sure the Germans have been unhappy to discover now many more people can afford through finance/lease deals etc to look outside the sub premium brands. Should start a breakdown thread to keep track of what's littering the sides of roads on a daily basis!

I saw 3 Audis, a Skoda, a Seat and a jag this week off the top of my head. I bet several of them had just run out of fuel [emoji14]

BG Clio 182
My 182 is 10x as reliable as my 2001 A3 1.8T. That thing was a shed and a half. All I have had to do to my 182 was the power steering pump due to it leaking when the car was in for a 36k and I had a spring break, but my friends 07 Fiesta ST had a spring break too, but his made the car undriveable, mine was just noisy. Upcoming I need to do belts and front brakes, but those are just maintenance items. I eventually want to get an exhaust but that is not needed.

And how do you drop a valve? Normally an engine wont drop a valve on its own without help (1st instead of 3rd on a downshift, etc)

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
I find em pretty resilient. Mine gets brutalised every time I turn the key, it's there for exactly that reason, and if it wasn't reliable i'd not keep it.
I've broken a gearbox on track and replaced a lot of stuff because it was old and needed doing (it's done 147k) but it's a track veteran including the 'ring. Frankly, i'm not so sure how it hasn't fallen to bits. It must love the punishment :D

My 182 is 10x as reliable as my 2001 A3 1.8T. That thing was a shed and a half. All I have had to do to my 182 was the power steering pump due to it leaking when the car was in for a 36k and I had a spring break, but my friends 07 Fiesta ST had a spring break too, but his made the car undriveable, mine was just noisy. Upcoming I need to do belts and front brakes, but those are just maintenance items. I eventually want to get an exhaust but that is not needed.

And how do you drop a valve? Normally an engine wont drop a valve on its own without help (1st instead of 3rd on a downshift, etc)
Valves are a weak point in these engines. They fail quite regularly now.

Is there any preventative maintenance you can do to help the valves stay put other than the regular oil changes with genuine filters?

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Mines been a gem, touch wood! Owned since feb and been faultless, even with doing 600 miles a week, and on 120k

BMW 320d SE
Mine was maintained with no expense spared for 102k until something gave way in the engine last week whilst on a track day and it was starved of oil, seizing the whole engine.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Most of the things people are listing in here (brakes, oil, filters, suspension, tyres) are regular maintenence items. If you fail to keep on top of the servicing then of course things will go wrong!

172 cup
Couldn't like this anymore. Completely true!

I think it's all to do with previous maintenance. If you buy a cheap dog you'll end up with not really saving much in the long run.

There are exceptions to the rule. My cup owes me less than £1200, although I did the belts saving a chunk. It's tidy, reliable and has given 6k in 7 months.