ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

do clio sports always break??

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
if it's a trophy, vee or liquid yellow variant.

... Still, with the exception of the vee, they won't gain much value.

When I was 20 Renault 5gtt's had 60-80k on them and around the £3000 mark.. A friend sold his for £800 with 70k and by today's standards would be a minter.. They've floated around the 1500-3000 mark for the last 10 years and it's only now that they have gone over 5 for good ones, higher for minters and stupid £ for low mile minters at dealers..

From 1985 went from small engines with turbos for 10 years, then big engine hot hatches. Another ten years on and small turbo engine or fuel efficient ones are back in.. This is not important but leads to the natural progression that is electic, which is already happening.

In ten more years you won't have petrol hatches or the numbers will be dwindling fast, which means right about the time the Clio hits 20 it'll be old, rare and using the old fuel of the past..

Perhaps that isn't the timeframe it'll happen in, but that train is already running, it's not gonna happen, it's happening.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
When I was 20 Renault 5gtt's had 60-80k on them and around the £3000 mark.. A friend sold his for £800 with 70k and by today's standards would be a minter.. They've floated around the 1500-3000 mark for the last 10 years and it's only now that they have gone over 5 for good ones, higher for minters and stupid £ for low mile minters at dealers..

From 1985 went from small engines with turbos for 10 years, then big engine hot hatches. Another ten years on and small turbo engine or fuel efficient ones are back in.. This is not important but leads to the natural progression that is electic, which is already happening.

In ten more years you won't have petrol hatches or the numbers will be dwindling fast, which means right about the time the Clio hits 20 it'll be old, rare and using the old fuel of the past..

Perhaps that isn't the timeframe it'll happen in, but that train is already running, it's not gonna happen, it's happening.

I wasn't saying it won't happen, as you've said with the 5gtts, good examples will command a premium.

But if it's just the regular 1*2s, they won't gain that much value imo unless they have no miles and are completely original, then imo it'll only be the dealers and collectors trying to sell them for silly money.

Vees on the other hand will just climb in value. Which is a shame, as when I can afford the £15kish the average ones are going for now, they'll have climbed to £30k lol.

2002 clio 172
Im having a problem with my clio not running right runs with loss of power and dies out when warm....codes are for accelerator pedal...throttle body brake switch and lambda......all been replaced alongwith engine loom......think ecu is at fault can anyone help

Listerine & Poledo
Regarding "will these be worth money"

It's safe to assumer that if it's on here, and there's a thread about "project [name]" then it wont be worth its weight in dung in 5 years.

But if it's got under 10k of mileage and is 150% OEM parts, then yes, get that thing under a blanket and in an air-conditioned lock up before some scrote takes it, slaps it on Coiliez, gives it yo sik yozza zorst, monster/red bull stickers and then barrel-drifts it through the front of a McD's

FF Racing Blue 182
Well I've had two 182 ff and the experience of owning the first one made me buy another. I just use it to get to work and then it sits around most of the time. I done 12000 miles in 2 years in the first one.

The first one was the inferno and that needed a cts and new ht leads over the years but apart from that it was just doing belts/servicing and refreshing suspension parts. My rb is a totally different beast, if i bought this first time around i would never have had a second.

When they're working you love them. I'm £600 down on this 2nd one (only got it in February) and its not had the belts/dehaser done yet. So they can be expensive to keep considering its value.

BMW 320d SE
Turns out my engine seizure last month wasn't oil-related. It had dropped an inlet valve, mashing the engine.

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Had my cup 5 years, Done 10k of the 100k on the clock, had 2 pedals, 3 crank sensors, coil and leads, steering rack recon'd, tre's, rack ends, gearbox recon'd twice, starter, relays, clutch, front subframe (accident damaged when bought tbf) and now replacing the loom. But still wouldnt get rid of it. Plus all the normal daily service parts.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Had my cup 5 years, Done 10k of the 100k on the clock, had 2 pedals, 3 crank sensors, coil and leads, steering rack recon'd, tre's, rack ends, gearbox recon'd twice, starter, relays, clutch, front subframe (accident damaged when bought tbf) and now replacing the loom. But still wouldnt get rid of it. Plus all the normal daily service parts.

2 'box rebuilds and 3 crank sensors in 10k?! Something not right there! Most of the other stuff is wear and tear you'd expect on those miles, clutch, TRE's etc.

But........ i'd have given up at the point of it needing the second 'box rebuild - you must love it!

Johno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Went dry tbf got done gratis the second time.
Had a few electrical issues hence loom change.

Also had to change the brains for the windows lol