ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

GTD, Lupo
Ok my prima amigo turns up today! Just after a bit of insight of how to work it into the paint. I have had a good look on the net but I can't find a clear guide and this is what my plan is at the moment.

Using a Megs G220 with 3M blue finishing pad.
Speed setting 4-5
Prime the pad
Then add 4 pea size blobs of the product.
just need a little guidance on how long to work the product into the paint.

I'm sure gally will have the answers!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Never used it with a G220 mate but it's hards to explain. Using some common sense is best.

4 pea sized blobs, spread away at the lowest 2 speeds, no working required. You'll know yourself once the pad is primed mate and use little Amigo.

After the first panel you'll realise just how Slick Amigo is and you'll need to use even less. :)

Just keep spreading it until you feel it's done then remove the residue. After a couple of panel you will probably be able to spread it to nearly a full door with a few pea sized blobs.

Just see how you go. :) I need to get some on mine soon!

Bumder With A Buffer
Aye id agree with speed 2,

I dont know if I "should" but I usually put a small spray of QD (Megs LT) on the pad even when doing stuff like that on the first panel, as the pad absorbs some of the product it spreads easier as jock mentions.

Bumder With A Buffer
Oh h'actually whilst im in here il ask this...

C4 has those small cotton type applicators (it also stinks like that Olbas Oil stuff you stick up your nose!), I assume you could use a German applicator/cut down sponge or similar to apply it?

C4 has those small cotton type applicators (it also stinks like that Olbas Oil stuff you stick up your nose!), I assume you could use a German applicator/cut down sponge or similar to apply it?

Yes, but depends how anal you are. The more porous, the more product you'll "use" (lose).

A good trick I learnt off DW, use the I1 fabric protect on the cotton pads, which means none of the product is taken up by the porous applicator.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Aye id agree with speed 2,

I dont know if I "should" but I usually put a small spray of QD (Megs LT) on the pad even when doing stuff like that on the first panel, as the pad absorbs some of the product it spreads easier as jock mentions.

Always a good idea to spray the pad with a QD.

Never use the german applicator or similar. The stuff soaks into the make up applicator but it's so thin it doesn't actually go anywhere so the pad is constantly loaded.

I used roughly 2 dabs of C1 to do half a bonnet. C4 is the same.

Bumder With A Buffer
Are they just microfibre make up adaptors then? I dont see why a normal soft sponge (megs applicator for example) couldnt be used??

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Because like water it would just sink all the way through. Why use something that is actually worse than the item supplied?

It's a cotton make up applicator, seriously. The same as you buy from boots.

Bumder With A Buffer
Ahhh I see, Had a "proper" look at them now rather then just through the plastic packaging it came in.

Im gonna look a right bumder (more so then normal??) buying makeup pads in superdrug....

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Do you need more than supplied? Make sure you buy the cheapest ones. They have zero "fluff"

Bumder With A Buffer
Yes I think il need more then the 2 supplied

freelanderlake.jpg

The whole of a freelander is pretty much plastic bumper/s

From that picture, you'll need 10 max. Bumper in thirds, all arches on both aides together, rear bumper in thirds, roof racks.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Quick question chaps.

My car was resprayed yesterday and I want to lay down some protection on it. IS it safe to do that now so soon after painting it?! DOn't want to be applying 4/5 coats of stuff so ideally just a one coat wonder. I also don't have time to order off the internet so Ideally something that halfords sells. I have used Autoglym EGP before now but was wondering if I should spend my money else where.

The colour is dark metallic red.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Autoglym HD wax lasts ages mate. Buy from Halfords, cheap on Amazin.

Be fine over the top of fresh work. Perfect world, leave it 4-5 days but we've waxed fresh panels.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
What do people recommend for a hand cutting polish/compound for removing swirl marks by hand?

When I polish my car it's looks like swirl central and and I don't have a machine polisher :(

I normally use poorboys blackhole and either nattys paste wax or ag hd wax on top.

What do people recommend for a hand cutting polish/compound for removing swirl marks by hand?

When I polish my car it's looks like swirl central and and I don't have a machine polisher :(

I normally use poorboys blackhole and either nattys paste wax or ag hd wax on top.

GTechniq P1 or menz 203s with a Lake County cutting hand pad.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Drive to TEG, talk about DA's unti he offers to get his out, learn how to use, done.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Autoglym HD wax lasts ages mate. Buy from Halfords, cheap on Amazin.

Be fine over the top of fresh work. Perfect world, leave it 4-5 days but we've waxed fresh panels.

You're a legend. I'll pop and get some on monday.

It was painted thursday, flatted and G3'd on friday and now its sat in a unit until I collect it monday night. I'll be polishing/waxing it one night next week (cooler) as long as the weather holds out.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Happy to help mate. Do 2 panels at a time, no more. Nice and thin layers.

182 Cup
whats the best way to apply autoglym SRP? How much should I use ideally?

aand I know it has mild abrasives in it, and fillers so does it need working a bit to get a good coverage?

I'll be using HD Wax on top.

Get the shampoo and SRP free through work hence wanting to know how to use it a little better, I'm awful for getting it on trim (hence going to mask this time) Any tips for cleaning it off trim? :D

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Use a foam applicator, pre wet it ideally with a few sprays of QD, then approx 10pence coin size should do a panel other than the bonnet

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I do too with Rejuvenate and Tripple, but found SRP to dry out on the pad alot quicker and not spread quite as nice with the MF pad

Golf GT & A4 Avant
On that note, almost used up my rejuvenate today. Still have Tripple. The P21 a suitable replacement. will want something I can use via rotary, get both cut and filling etc

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My Rejuve in nearly finished also mate. I must say it's easily worth buying more. Great product.

P21's is much better filling and cleaning power is superb. Cutting is minimal.

Agreed on Srp about drying out. Wasn't thinking about that there.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Quick detailer and a decent mf Lou. Leave the QD to soak in for a second.

Quick question.

Due to things coming up this week, I can no longer dedicate full days to detailing the car pre-CSS. I want to start the process on Monday by washing, claying, detarring and maybe hitting a few main panels with the DA. I will need to use the car on Tuesday for about 30 miles tops. Will it be ok to just wash it on the Wednesday and carry on, or will I need to start from scratch?!

I would think that it'd be alright, making sure that I check over the car fully before carrying on with any polishing etc, but just want to make sure.

From Wednesday onwards, I plan to have it sitting in the OH's garage, so leaving it for a while won't be too much of an issue, as it won't move until Saturday morning.

My plan of action is:
Tomorrow - Interior, quickly go over wheels & arches
Monday - Wash, clay, de-tar and hit the main panels with the DA (and maybe more, dependant on time)
Wednesday - Wash again to remove any dirt etc picked up on Tuesday and hit as much of the car as possible. Try to get all the polishing done, and if time allows, go over with a pre wax cleanser before work
Friday - Pick up where I left off. Pre wax, couple layers of sealant, then wax. Then do finishing touches to the car.

Sound alright? Bit of a mash up, as loads of important things seem to have come up over the past few days.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
do you have a spray sealant or something like that? so you can get it all prep'd and sealed, then rinse and start polishing

Nope. Unfortunately not. Only got some Zaino Z2 sealant. Would it be a case of applying a layer of that to protect, then on the Wednesday, start the polishing stages?

Well it's been a week since I applied the G1 to my car, and we've had no freaking rain since then either!

But just washed the car, and the water runs off the windscreen amazingly, so I think I did it kinda right. Just want to drive in some rain to see it in action lol!

GTD, Lupo
Ok been hitting the car with the prima amigo and z2 for the last couple of days.

WOW! Amigo what and amazon product. Leaves the paint so smooth, and then z2! Shocked that I never used it before! It smells do good!

Quick picture after a second coat of z2 on the roof 24hrs after the first.

3b04e0ca.jpg