ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The one I did was soft, definitely below medium on the Fords. Each car is different. I try not to pigeon hole a brand. Too easy to do.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I thaught i would try wolfs body wrap on some plastics last weekend.

So far there has been no staining (infact its made it more black than it was) and the beading is great.

All i did was apc clean, then three wipedowns with ipa then applied the BW and buffed off after 20 mins.

I will keep a log going and report back on my findings.

Maybe wolfs are like Gtech and have one chemical for the range but put it in different bottles?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh didn't see that mate. I don't really use Wolf's products. Never really appealed to me. Their de-ironizer is blown out the water by Ironx and Z2 gives a better performance than BW and you can use it over the top of anything.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
If you're using tough coat go with tripple mate. Lime prime can be a little fussy although via rotary it's a superb product.

Tripple on a light pad will work fine on the rotary once the pad is primed correctly. Keep at low speeds and just see how it goes. Very good product.

When you say light pad do you mean finishing pad.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah or very light polishing pad. Personally 3M blue would be perfect.

What is good for windscreens? It's the only part of my car that I keep clean.

I bought the cheapo screen-wash from Halfords and it's a bit smeary. So ideally something better than that if it exists and then something like Rain-X?

(I can't be bothered with 942 layers of something with precise intervals, so easy > best)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
G1 is the only thing worth bothering about mate but rain x isn't a bad alternative. Just won't last that long really. It's also the same price as G1. False economy.

Just buy G1 apply 1 layer with a make up pad and then remove it. Then sell it to me. :) You'll use like 2 ml and it'll last for ages.

I applied G1 the other day, obviously it's not as easy as RainX, but it wasnt that bad to apply.

I'm probably the only bugger in the UK who wants a bit of rain now lol! I want to see if it works as well as I've seen on others cars.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You had much use out of Tripple Dave? Good results? I think it's a great product, especially as a modern Srp product, much better!

They should make their Glaze similar without the carnauba content. Rejuvenate but a bit more glaze like, slicker and more fillers.

It's definitely better via DA but can work ok with rotary, very similar to using SRP via machine. As you say like a newer improved version of SRP. Very little is needed and it spreads well and you can see the finish change infront of you. Machine really brings out the mild polish side in it. No need to really work it much, a little like I do with a glaze.

I'm trying to get hold of my sisters un loved black Peugeot for some pictures and guinea pig for trialling it a little more

I'm desperate to get my hands on there glaze, but only know of Russ that's used it

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I applied G1 the other day, obviously it's not as easy as RainX, but it wasnt that bad to apply.

I'm probably the only bugger in the UK who wants a bit of rain now lol! I want to see if it works as well as I've seen on others cars.

If you're a regular driver in the rain, being without it is really noticeable. I really took it for granted till I had my windscreen replaced

GTD, Lupo
I currently have a couple of coats of gtechniq C1.5 on the front end of my car and im pretty impressed... but as per usual i keep hearing people banging on about AF Tough Coat and im a little intrigued. is there a massive difference between the two and has anyone had any experience with both?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I currently have a couple of coats of gtechniq C1.5 on the front end of my car and im pretty impressed... but as per usual i keep hearing people banging on about AF Tough Coat and im a little intrigued. is there a massive difference between the two and has anyone had any experience with both?

There's is a big difference in terms of what they are. For eg Tough coat can be used over most things like glazes etc C1.5 is more a nano style top up. TC is similar to an old fashioned spray sealant like Werkstat Acrylic.

If you're looking for something similar Autobrite's Project32 might do. ;)

GTD, Lupo
There's is a big difference in terms of what they are. For eg Tough coat can be used over most things like glazes etc C1.5 is more a nano style top up. TC is similar to an old fashioned spray sealant like Werkstat Acrylic.

If you're looking for something similar Autobrite's Project32 might do. ;)

Cheers for explaining that Gally, might just stick with the Acrylic, if it isnt broke broke dont try to fix it i guess.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone used the Mint Merkin glass cloth? Glass is doing my nut in at the moment. My MF's are quite short pile aswell!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Anyone used the Mint Merkin glass cloth? Glass is doing my nut in at the moment. My MF's are quite short pile aswell!

Kind of, I have the yellow basics of bling version and its alright, much prefer the waffle type than a normal MF

Red
Interiors. Talk to me.

Well mainly about carpet and seat cleanliness tbh. I want to give the seats and carpets a good wash as they are 5 years old now. Any top tips? I want perfection.

Megane R26
Will this buff out with some G3 and a mop?

7628590400_79cc12e5ef_z.jpg

DSC08877 by RussZS, on Flickr

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Interiors. Talk to me.

Well mainly about carpet and seat cleanliness tbh. I want to give the seats and carpets a good wash as they are 5 years old now. Any top tips? I want perfection.

You need to borrow or hire a wet vac. Spray the interior liberally with interior cleaner and scrub with a microfiber then using the wet vac, flush clean water through. Will come up lovely.

Red
Sounds simple enough, lovely. Wonder if it removes all traces of self loathing and daddy issues that have been in the back of the car.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
g101 is a good Apc. Autosmart sell it!

Nice 1/4 Russ! Time a for a change of car I think! :eek:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
That's not going to happen mate.

I know headlights are easily done but imo it won't leave a good enough finish.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh kev ive already tried this and i has come a bit dull on the underneath the foglight :(

Just wandering what other solutoins there are.

Well a good thing is to head up the grades. So maybe 1500 then 2000 then 2500 and get some aggressive hand polish or something. Got someone local with a polisher?

G1 is the only thing worth bothering about mate but rain x isn't a bad alternative. Just won't last that long really. It's also the same price as G1. False economy.

Just buy G1 apply 1 layer with a make up pad and then remove it. Then sell it to me. :) You'll use like 2 ml and it'll last for ages.

I don't like the idea of hard to apply.

Sounds like a job for someone at CSS TBH :eek: