ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cutting out misfiring and running bad clio

renault clio 1.2 16v
hello, i am new to hear i have owned my 1.2 renault clio 2002 3 door 16v for a few months now i went into the shop the other day for around 2-3 minutes when i come to start my car it was as if my battery was flat i was push started by a few locals and ever since then it would start misfire for around 15secs rev up to 3000 revs followed by a yellow light int he middle of the dash and cut out after looking into this the AA recovery come out and we had it on diagnostic machines which the only faults it picked up was a speed sensor and the purge valve belonging to the carbon canister followed by this i had looked into it i found that if i unplugged the map sensor it wouldn't cut out it would just run very badly and misfire from around 300 revs to 1500 which that light on the dash permanently on i then relised if i kept playing around with the map sensor and the purge valve i could get the car to stop misfiring for a bit but it would tick over at around 2000 revs i would drive it around the corner and the misfire would be back but now the two stop lights would occur, I have since tried changing the map sensor the coil pack the purge valve, i have cleaned the crank sensor, i have stripped the injection system cleaning the throttle body ect, at this situation i gave up and brought the car to a recommended guy called sean Edwards in Shirley Birmingham he had it on his laptop which read back saying there is to much air being sucked into the engine he then had a little play so i left the car with him, he recommended that i should buy a engine wiring loom in which case i brought one only to find the exact same problem is still there , all the parts i have tried to fix the car witch have been second hand so there is no guarantee but i cant afford the price of brand new parts to find out its the wrong part if any one has had this problem or knows a cure please reply or if anyone can have a look that lives in the Birmingham area would be appreciated obv i will pay.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
hello, i am new to hear i have owned my 1.2 renault clio 2002 3 door 16v for a few months now i went into the shop the other day for around 2-3 minutes when i come to start my car it was as if my battery was flat i was push started by a few locals and ever since then it would start misfire for around 15secs rev up to 3000 revs followed by a yellow light int he middle of the dash and cut out after looking into this the AA recovery come out and we had it on diagnostic machines which the only faults it picked up was a speed sensor and the purge valve belonging to the carbon canister followed by this i had looked into it i found that if i unplugged the map sensor it wouldn't cut out it would just run very badly and misfire from around 300 revs to 1500 which that light on the dash permanently on i then relised if i kept playing around with the map sensor and the purge valve i could get the car to stop misfiring for a bit but it would tick over at around 2000 revs i would drive it around the corner and the misfire would be back but now the two stop lights would occur, I have since tried changing the map sensor the coil pack the purge valve, i have cleaned the crank sensor, i have stripped the injection system cleaning the throttle body ect, at this situation i gave up and brought the car to a recommended guy called sean Edwards in Shirley Birmingham he had it on his laptop which read back saying there is to much air being sucked into the engine he then had a little play so i left the car with him, he recommended that i should buy a engine wiring loom in which case i brought one only to find the exact same problem is still there , all the parts i have tried to fix the car witch have been second hand so there is no guarantee but i cant afford the price of brand new parts to find out its the wrong part if any one has had this problem or knows a cure please reply or if anyone can have a look that lives in the Birmingham area would be appreciated obv i will pay.
-------------------
Hi, it seems that my Clio (same specs as yours) has the same issues. I was started troubleshooting changing spark plugs, coil pack (twice!) filter, crank shaft sensor, then it got really bad, took it to local garage and they changed the lambda sensor. They said to give it a good run so the ECU will adjust the settings coming from the new sensor. It was OK for 5 min then started jerking in 1st gear (same symptoms as yours) the dashboard light is constantly on, the one with engine shape on the right side corner (no stop in middle) I think the manual says anti coolant and/or fume emissions?
Today it doesn't even want to start after leaving the car alone for 1 week. I bought new but not original parts (coil pack and crank shaft sensor) I decided to buy originals which cost me 3 times more so changed the coil pack, no change. I still have the crank sensor and will fit it today but I'm sure this is not the root of the problem.
I was wondering if you managed to fix your car and what were the next steps? or if anyone has a suggestion please advice since this is so frustrating for a not-mechanic person who tries not to spend a fortune in garage-diagnostics.
Thank you in advance.

Clio 172 Phase 2
I had similar issues with my old Clio 1.2. Had similar misfire issues, stalling/cutting out when first starting, not starting from warm etc.

Replaced a tonne of parts before I found it was a break in the wiring loom connections that go into the ECU at the back of the engine. I did what you did, and brought a second hand one, hoping it would cure the problem. Unfortunately it didn't. Was about to give up on it, and found out there is a 'revised' wiring loom with slightly different casing and ECU connectors. Got hold of a second hand one of these, and it cured it. Did another 10K miles until I sold it. Occasionally I see it around, so I know it's at least still running (Was on 139K when I sold it :) )