ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crysis Revisited

Too much negativity IMO. All the big multiplats look and play better on PC IMO. Then there's the Crysis games. Then we could talk about racing sims. It has definitely gone towards the console market, but you're still winning by playing on PC.

Look at FarCry2 PC vs. console. CoD 4 etc. etc.

Yes cod W@w which I downloaded from Steam does look great but I haven't got one multiplayer kill yet on the old K&M :eek: :dapprove:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Roy - need some help training on Battlefield 2142, cos TBH I suck.

Fire away - 280+ hours put into it. ;)

The single biggest plus for 2142 is that you can still have a good deal of success with the entry level kit. It's nothing like the COD series where noobs get utterly slaughtered, because Mr. Prestiege One Million has a titanium AK-47 capable of firing 6,000 rounds through walls with extra penetrating ammo.

The Krylov for one is a great all-rounder on 2142 and is standard issue. The knack is to find a class that suits you and to stick with it. I'd recommend either the assault or the support classes to start with as its easy to rank up quickly by healing team mates (as assault) or providing them with ammo as support.

Alternatively, stick with Titan Mode in the early stages too. If you switch to engineer class, you can repair the turrets on the Titan and you will rack up points in no time. The engineer is the class I've played the most - probably because it's the least 'desirable' of the four classes overall. Unlock the Pilum anti-armour rifle and you are truly lethal on the battlefield. One hit to rears of tanks literally destroyed them in one hit and the same rifle is also very dangerous to low flying aircraft. For an extra 'random' kill potential - walk to the edge of your titan and throw off a couple of anti-armour mines. Many a time I've destroyed vehicles on the ground several minutes later when they have driven over the mines. ;)

I could go on and on - but I guess you've fallen asleep already? :cool:

D.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Have to sort an online slaughterfest... Hit me up some time sweetie xx

So far I've established that it's quite funny to jump in the gunship, fly over to the furthest (closest to enemy) Silo and be waiting for them by the time they get there, with them scattering wondering what's going on!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Pfft, you guys need to get rid of BF2142, its pants, BF2 was 10x better, and imo Crysis Wars is just as a good as them both, its got all the tanks etc too.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Have to sort an online slaughterfest... Hit me up some time sweetie xx

So far I've established that it's quite funny to jump in the gunship, fly over to the furthest (closest to enemy) Silo and be waiting for them by the time they get there, with them scattering wondering what's going on!

To REALLY piss them off - fly straight to the enemy titan and hover around their flight deck. Easy pickings that way, but you definitely run the risk of being kicked. ;)

If the other team is switched-on as well, their engineers should immediately go into the aerial defense role. Managed a 193/3 kill/death ratio that way. :)

Titan Mode is the best within 2142 by far, imo.

D.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I'm about to head back in to have a mess if you're about... I'm not sure if I'll show as Mike Larwood or sirlardsworth though - have a look!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Pfft, you guys need to get rid of BF2142, its pants, BF2 was 10x better, and imo Crysis Wars is just as a good as them both, its got all the tanks etc too.

Roffles! Welcome to 2005?! :rasp:

BF2 was good, but as a game 2142 was far superior. Better maps more game modes, better commander and squad functionality and of course the Titan Mode - which added so much more tactical playing than merely capturing map points or grinding down the oppositions' points.

D.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Just had my first proper crack on Crysis Wars. My thoughts?

w**k. Utter shite. No real 'objective', lots of people who are disorganised with no team commander or at least some form of structure, a massive imbalance in weapons between n00bs and long termers and the only thing going for it is graphics.

IMO, a massively poor show for possibly the most enthralling, thought out and enveloping Career-based FPS to date. Will be going back in the 'Disc 2' sleeve and staying put...

Better than yours. C*nt.
Oh, and topped off with a godawful 'Copy Protection' system that causes no end of issues worldwide.

When will these people learn that copy protection actually puts people off buying games. If I knew the amount of issues I'd have with Crysis, Warhead and Wars before buying them, I'd not have done so - when it first came out there were 2 or 3 drives which didn't have issues, everybody else had to wait up to 2 hours for the drive to recognise the disk before being able to play the game. How is that going to make anyone want to buy the sequel?

There should be laws against the pricks that devise those systems TBH - how is it the Console kids can get one and have it stay because it just works, yet for PCs we've got to have a massive array of these copy protection systems, and every single one causing various issues with the computer...

^^Again its the Piracy thing but am sure you know that! Its so easy to crack a pc game yet console games much harder on the xbox and impossible on the PS3, hence thats where the money is!

The point is that anti-piracy measures don't work. Things like SecureROM only hassle the legitimate buyers. It doesn't affect the pirates because they just crack it out. It's easier to use a pirated version of a game than it is to use the one designed to stop piracy.

TBH I've had very few issues with SecureROM recently. In fact, none at all. It's still a waste of money and rersources though.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Man speeks troof. As long as people write anti-piracy s**t, people will write s**t to strip it out. And as Roy says, Crysis is easier to get working if you've got a dodgy copy that doesn't need the disc in than it is with thier original disc - it was notoriously bad and nearly cost EA a fortune after thousands of people complained and they couldn't fix it.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Back up for this thread - OH has just tried to 'see what all the fuss is about' and has decided that women can't play Crysis. It's "too spooky" and "too complicated doing all this with the mouse and moving with the keyboard and picking stuff up".

Didn't even get past Contact. Got shot whilst trying to sort the GPS jammer out.

Better than yours. C*nt.
They need to hurry the f**k up and do the next one. There's so much left in the story, and I've waited patiently... Surely there's something?!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Ah wait, no, they're doing Crysis 2.

For 360 and PS3 as well. Great. Guaranteed to be a bit of a flop in comparison.

Let's hope it uses the FF PC engine, and is ported to the consoles, rather than giving us the nearset version that the gimps can handle, plus a little extra.

Better than yours. C*nt.
One can hope. I also pray that the storyline is so good, as that helped make everything so immersive. As long as I don't have to fly another one of those sodding VTOLs as well!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Uhhmmm... I didn't think it was too bad. Better than the token vehicle level on Warhead, IMO.

A red missile
Arse! I should have stayed clear of this thread, now I need a new machine to handle that level of awesomeness, I always thought the MMORPG that I waste far too much time playing looked the b****cks - now I dont.

but considering its running on a poxy 9600GT its not bad, just not as good as Crysis, damn it, bank account is going to take a kicking - again. Have been told on several occasions that Crysis was uber, now I have to have it and at that level as well - the missus won't be pleased, in fact her latest toy has 2 - 9800 GX2s, does Crysis support SLI? with Vista she has quad SLI - hmmmmm.

View attachment 34132

That will have to do for now.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thread revamp!

Just about got a machine spec worthy of Crysis with all the bells and whistles on. Strangely, there's no default resolution choice for 1920x1200, so I'll have to look into that. Instead, I'm currently rolling slightly lower on 1680x1050 - but fcuk me! Maxed with everything set to 'Very High' - it's remaining stable between 41 and 48fps for the most part when busy and upping to the 60fps V-Sync limit when quiet.

The following pictures simply DO NOT do the graphical qualities of this game any justice whatsoever. Even now, four years on - it really is impressive and immersive in its depth. God knows what hardware will be required to make Crysis 2 fly, but without doubt - it should look utterly stunning.

crysis2011-01-0117-24-28-65-1.jpg

crysis2011-01-0117-29-27-50-1.jpg

crysis2011-01-0117-37-40-04-1.jpg

crysis2011-01-0117-46-11-45.jpg

crysis2011-01-0117-54-06-00-1.jpg

crysis2011-01-0117-40-47-04.jpg

D.

Evo 8 MR
I don't think it looks that good anymore plus the gameplay is utter shite.

Call of duty wipes the floor with this.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think it looks that good anymore plus the gameplay is utter shite.

Call of duty wipes the floor with this.

Hmmm - not sure about that. Even simple things like the ground textures are much better and sharper defined than the likes of Battlefield BC2. The latest Medal of Honour has some decent scenery too - but with Crysis, we're talking 2007 and it still outshines a lot of current stuff.

Crysis was the most disappointing game I've ever played. Stunning to look at, but the gameplay was crap.

The gameplay's pretty good imo. Especially if you get a good sequence of suit changes in quick succession - it can be pretty impressive to play. The area where Crysis falls flat on its face is with mid-ranged combat. Select single fire mode and aim at a target approx 150-250ft away. I tried that today and I gave up counting after 18 hits against one target - lol. Closer in, it seems the game ramps up the damage model and it's quite easy to take down enemies with a burst or two.

It's not flawless by any means, but its far from being crap I reckon.

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Four years on - and it's still a benchmark. :)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/03/crysis-as-a-work-of-art-an-astonishing-gallery-of-shots/

I had another quick go of it this morning. A great single player campaign (even though I haven't got to the crappy zero-g bits yet) and it's still very enjoyable. The single-shot kills (unless headshot) that take a good 5 or 6 rounds are a tad annoying, but that's a minor gripe. Sneaking through the jungle to take out Koreans is pretty damn epic. :)

D.

Missed the updates to this thread. FPMSLOL at Call of Duty being better.

Anyway. I've just been stressing this game out in preparation for playing it through again on the new build next week. Darren, the 1920x1200 is there. You have to scroll down a bit. Sounds daft but I too thought it had gone, and felt a bit dim after googling it and finding the solution. I've tried upping the AA to x8, and the fps has taken a massive hit. Mostly still 30-40fps but taking big lows into the mid 20s. Just wanted to max it as much as reasonably possible so I can compare the frame rates on the new machine. I am quietly confident of maintaining a sync-locked 60fps ALL the time at 1920x1200 with 16QAA and Vmax everything. Anyone who knows Crysis, and isn't one of those gamers with magic pixie dust in their PC, will know that this is no mean feat, even in 2011. Fingers crossed.

Such an awesome game too. Can't wait to replay it all. Then Warhead, and then I'll get back to the last bits of Crysis 2. Hopefully by then the DX11 patch will be out for that game.

EDIT: Also, I have bought it again (this time on Steam) so I presume up-to-date, and I have already noticed that the annoying medium/long range hit detection has been fixed. I had no problems with long range shots in my 30 minutes of play just now. In fact head shots were one-round kills at all ranges. Just as they should be.

Also, I still maintain that people who think Crysis is crap really didn't learn how to use the nanosuit properly. It's a hugely open sandbox shooter with a unique twist (the suit) and amazing visuals. Compared to a boxed-in linear Michael Bay set-piece shooter like CoD, it's a miracle. Maybe people are bitter because they have a rubbish computer ;)

Last edited:

I still love that video. It shows what a massively CPU & GPU based sandbox of a game it is. Even if Crysis 2 DX11 patch makes it look as good, it surely won't have these physics? Crysis is a special game. It's old now, and yet I personally think it will be many years before a sequel is able to properly improve on it in terms of CPU and GPU abilities. For that reason alone it has a place in history.

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
My mate would like this thread ;)... and somebody is in for a fun week methinks... well, would be a shame not to considering the system Mr Munson has just purchased. And I'm still not jealous. Much.

I'm just gutted that I can't fire her up. The build is finished but I have had to order a CPU power cable extension, as the standard one won't reach from the PSU to the board socket :(

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
had similar problems with my build, the 8-pin power cables for the motherboard were a nightmare to fit.

Wow. WOW.

Crysis is being properly pwned by this machine. I mean hot butter. It's also not just the frames, it's the way the mouse responds and moves. Like no other FPS ever. It's like they knew that people from the future would be in awe. I've seen some amazing gameplay in my time, but this is stupid.