ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashed my Clio

Hi all,

Whilst coming out of Tesco this morning, there's a sharp right turn in the car park and as I turned the wheel the car slid forward and smacked the kerb and went up into the hedge.

The bumper and wheel are damged, and the wheel also now moves forwards and backwards if I try and move the car and ends up rubbing against the wheel arch. I've included 2 pictures to show the damage...

www.graeme.myby.co.uk/clio1.JPG

www.graeme.myby.co.uk/clio2.JPG

Any idea what damage has been done behind that wheel which would allow it to move backwards and forwards towards the wheel arch? It rotates OK but wont stay central.

Thanks in advance,

Graeme

SLK 350
Not too sure from seeing that picture, no chance you can get a picture from under the car?

I'd guess at balljoint/strut/anti-roll but that is only a guess.

Megane 225 Cup
i did the same thing in my car.. but i was going some.. i smashed the whole wheel.. ball joints break and brackets.

Although if it wont sit straight i would think it was something to do with the axcel connection to the wheel.. get it looked at by a garage.. shouldnt cost too much to fix.. i damaged a lot and it only cost 300

I really wasn't speeding. Its always slippery, its next to the bottle banks and is a sharp 90 degree bend. I'm not sure if spillage from the bottle banks is carried onto the bend but I've slid there before, just never badly.

My cousin works in the Tesco, I'm the 3rd driver this week its happened too.

clio 1.8 16v
yea easy claim that mate, what u got to lose????????

oh an whiplash too, nice summer holiday for ya lol

remember i was in the car 2 ££££££££££££££££ lol

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
graphic clio said:
unlucky, claim off tesco. say there was oil on the road.

You've no chance mate .
There will be a disclaimer posted somewhere stating that using the car park , leaving valuables in the car etc is entirely at the owners risk .

You really think a company such as Tescos would leave themselves wide open to claims ?

Me thinks not !

MrBillyUK !

clio 1.8 16v
MRBILLYUK said:
You've no chance mate .
There will be a disclaimer posted somewhere stating that using the car park , leaving valuables in the car etc is entirely at the owners risk .

You really think a company such as Tescos would leave themselves wide open to claims ?

Me thinks not !

MrBillyUK !

just a deterent, if they have slippy stuff leaking out of the bottle bank and you crash due to a result of it, then there at fault. I did it at a car park after a trolly dinted the side of ma door.

172 Cup
MRBILLYUK said:
You've no chance mate .

This is not the case if you can prove negligence on Tescos part, looks like you have a good chance of doing that. Best of luck Graeme.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
graphic clio said:
just a deterent, if they have slippy stuff leaking out of the bottle bank and you crash due to a result of it, then there at fault. I did it at a car park after a trolly dinted the side of ma door.

You did what after a trolley dinted your door ? Explain further please ??

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
beavis said:
This is not the case if you can prove negligence on Tescos part, looks like you have a good chance of doing that. Best of luck Graeme.

Like ya say mate " if you can prove negligence " . So where would you take this ? A solicitor , insurance company .....??

Come on Einstein , seems like you have all the answers !
Whats the next step Graeme should take ?

Graeme would have to prove he wasn't at fault , careless driving , driving too fast etc .. he wouldn't have a leg to stand on my friend .

MrBillyUK !

a burnt one
how do you claim against the trolley dings?, my old dear works at morrisons and her car is a mess, doesnt matter where she parks it theres always some old biddy with a months worth of shopping doing dale wintons supermarket sweep dash around the car park and banging into everything in sight/or night in sight as the case may be

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
gary l said:
how do you claim against the trolley dings?, my old dear works at morrisons and her car is a mess, doesnt matter where she parks it theres always some old biddy with a months worth of shopping doing dale wintons supermarket sweep dash around the car park and banging into everything in sight/or night in sight as the case may be

Supermarket car parks = out of control trolleys and kids who just fling open their doors :(

No matter where ya park , miles from anyone , you always get some asshole who will come and park right next to ya .And as most of us have probably found out , Clios ain't a tank , the metals as thin as f*ck and dints at the slightest thing .I once had a Pug 306 park that close i had to get in the passenger side , f*ckin b*stard :(

Try parking on an angle , slightly over the white line , sometimes puts people off parkin next to ya ;)

MrBillyUK !

clio 1.8 16v
ok i was parked in a big toy store car park can came out to find a run away trolly had smacked into my car, i left the trolly were it was and went to grip a manager, out he came with a digi cam, took a photo, and i sent him the bill, which he sent up the chain ov comand, done and dusted, cheque in the post.

Garage have been out and jacked the car up, taken the wheel off and had a look. The wishbone is bent back where its been hit, and the bottom ball joint has sheered off. Also damage to the wheel, tyre, bumper and wing which I knew about cos I can see em.

They've gone away to price up the parts and are ringing me back later to give me a quote.

172 Cup
MRBILLYUK said:
Like ya say mate " if you can prove negligence " . So where would you take this ? A solicitor , insurance company .....??

Most insurance comes with a legal advice option for £10, they generally add it by default. Might be worth giving them a call, otherwise Citizens Advice can be very helpful.

The garage have been on the phone with the following quote...

Recovery of the vehicle
Replacement wishbone, bottom ball joint, tyre and bumper.
Fitting of all of the above
Spraying of the bumper, and re-spraying of the front wing
Parts, labour and VAT

£485 all in.

Does that sound about right?